List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Bulldog supporters will tell you why Jones' has shown more in his career than Stanley, even if Stanley had the better 2014.

Just look at the Jones v. Stanley in the polls board. Each team arguing, both with valid points, why the other is better.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I have high hopes for Stanley and of course I am backing him to be an AFL quality KPF/Ruck, I just think it's wrong to completely right off Jones when he has arguably shown as much as Stanley.
But Stanley is already on our list, already knows our systems, is already known by the coaches. We give up nothing by having him (besides some cap space, but we have plenty of that).
We'd have to give something to Jones. And it'd be more of a gamble, who knows how he'd handle a change of teams (could be very, could be very bad).

If the other clubs see Jones and Stanley as equals, then on the trade market we'd probably only come out with a straight swap. And that's a swap of a player who has some question marks, for another with the same amount of question marks and then some.

Richo rates Rhys & thinks he just needs some decent coaching.

Personally I'd consider moving him on for the right price but I'll be surprised if that happens.

In other news I'm looking forward to the next player linked with us to come up so that all this Liam Jones talk can be a distant memory :)

Geez, a lot of talk about moving Armo on, he's only hitting his straps now and I would want a top 15 pick. Not sure any other club would want to give a top 15 pick for him though.

Have to agree. Lotta respect growing for him. Wasn't fussed about Dal, but won't be happy is Armo is traded.

Armo's a trooper, but hard to see him as a core part of a flag tilt. We need a bloke in the mould of Selwood, Boak, Mitchell as that key inside mid... the bloke who has taken the #7 guernsey of our recently retired champ has a better chance of being that man.

Armo has some currency... if we can get a mid-teens pick then it's a go IMO.

Armo's a trooper, but hard to see him as a core part of a flag tilt. We need a bloke in the mould of Selwood, Boak, Mitchell as that key inside mid... the bloke who has taken the #7 guernsey of our recently retired champ has a better chance of being that man.

Armo has some currency... if we can get a mid-teens pick then it's a go IMO.

I disagree. Armo has certainly been a big influence on some games. He can't do it consistently but he does do it. There are plenty out there who never have.

Geez, a lot of talk about moving Armo on, he's only hitting his straps now and I would want a top 15 pick. Not sure any other club would want to give a top 15 pick for him though.
Gold Coast for one have stated publicly that they definitely want to add experience to their team this offseason and with Armo being a good age for their list, being one of not many who is actually from Queensland and being someone who could play midfield immediately and free up the likes of Ablett to play forward more (and kick more goals), I could see them being willing to offer up their 2nd of two first rounders for him (either in a straight swap or with a slight sweetener from us).

After a good couple of seasons and looking like he's genuinely getting better from year to year of late, I think Dave's range is now in the mid teens. Mid teens are 50/50 picks at best if you use them in the draft, so I think a team that is genuinely keen to add experience would be happy to trade a pick like that for someone like Armo, especially if said team is already loaded with young talent and as such won't lose too much sleep over missing out on a 50/50 chance to get some more in the draft.

Likewise, GWS for instance have so much young talent that they could definitely afford to forego the chance to grab some more if they could get another big, strong body into their midfield and some more experience and leadership around the place. Whether they would have a mid teens type pick to trade for him is another question though. Wonder what Armo and pick 1 might bring us?

Last edited:
Bloody hell people are one eyed on here.

Fact is Jones has shown more than Stanley in their short careers.

Stanley has had one very good game, kicked 3 goals. Jones has equaled or bettered this 5 times.

Neither are great players but Jones is hardly the s**t truck most are making him out to be here, and Stanley is hardly the prodigy either.

I don't think we would look at Jones as a Key Fwd replacement more of the roll that McGovern plays in the West Coast structure. We would have Stanley and White in the Kennedy,Darling roles and Jones playing that third tall or swing him pack when needed to fill a whole at the back with his marking strength.
Not putting an expectation on him to kick 5 a game may help him become a decent player.

Bloody hell people are one eyed on here.

Fact is Jones has shown more than Stanley in their short careers.

Stanley has had one very good game, kicked 3 goals. Jones has equaled or bettered this 5 times.

Neither are great players but Jones is hardly the s**t truck most are making him out to be here, and Stanley is hardly the prodigy either.

The point is, Stanley is already here. Costs us nothing and can be back up ruck. Jones would cost us another list place and a pick, which could turn into another young player (I.e. We have to delist someone or take one less pick).
Given Dogs need a key forward and he's playing 2s it doesn't bode well for him.

If Dogs are willing to let him go, then he isn't worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The point is, Stanley is already here. Costs us nothing and can be back up ruck. Jones would cost us another list place and a pick, which could turn into another young player (I.e. We have to delist someone or take one less pick).
Given Dogs need a key forward and he's playing 2s it doesn't bode well for him.

If Dogs are willing to let him go, then he isn't worth it.

Not a fan of Jones either but we do need to remember that Jones when playing gets the best KPD of the opposition. Stanley usually gets the 2nd or 3rd. Jones also plays with no one else helping him out where as Roo often demands the loose defender leaving Stanley a one-on-one contest.
He would realistically be pushing for White/Lee/Bruce's role this year as 3rd tall assuming Stanley stays on.

Really hope we don't trade Stanley out.

We need Armo in the centre for the next few years with our young mids.

Thinking he's not 'elite' or not going to be there at our next premiership crack(?) are missing the point.

GCS & GWS knew this and made sure they had likes of Ablett, Ricshitelli, Ward.

We lose Hayes, then trade Armo.....you thought this year got hard..........

Where do people currently see Lachie Weller going in the draft? What kind of pick will we need to secure him? because he will be something special

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/afl...-lobbe-is-wanted/story-fndv8s6g-1227065633733

Very interesting article where Hinkley has said they need a ruckman and a forward to give Lobbe a chop out. Goes on to say that they don't think they are in the box seat for Ryder (missus wants to go to Brisbane) an that rumours of Ty Vickery are false, but that they are looking at a player from an unknown club...

Could that club be StKilda?
Could that player be Rhys?

They have shown interest in him before and that could be the reason Jones name is being thrown up..

Where do people currently see Lachie Weller going in the draft? What kind of pick will we need to secure him? because he will be
something special

Lachie Weller's range is a pick in the teens, more likely from 12-16. Gold Coasts second pick (compo) will be 15 or so, and if he's still there at 15 they'll definitely take him. So if we trade Armo to GC for example for #15 like many are suggesting, then that's likely the pick we'll need to snag Weller.

Looks a very good type, and although he's small now at least we pretty much know he'll likely bulk up like his brother (but not as big, different game styles) and develop well.

One thing that stood out in the VFL today is how the merge between VFL & AFL can be good and bad.
Box Hill probably got to the GF with the help of the Hawks players. Then just before the game the Hawks pull out Sewel and McEvoy. And when the game is in the balance in the last qtr and box hill have a few injuries a fit Rioli was under Hawthorns instruction not to go on the ground.
I totally understand the Hawks keeping their eye on the bigger picture next week but Box Hill got a bit shafted today.
Some time the alignment works, some times it dont.
Even worse was that the week before, their best player in a narrow prelim win was McEvoy, a player who didn't even qualify to play…
Box Hill wouldn't have even been in the GF to begin with if they'd followed those pesky things called - rules.

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/afl...-lobbe-is-wanted/story-fndv8s6g-1227065633733

Very interesting article where Hinkley has said they need a ruckman and a forward to give Lobbe a chop out. Goes on to say that they don't think they are in the box seat for Ryder (missus wants to go to Brisbane) an that rumours of Ty Vickery are false, but that they are looking at a player from an unknown club...

Could that club be StKilda?
Could that player be Rhys?

They have shown interest in him before and that could be the reason Jones name is being thrown up..

Off top of my head those types of players that may be available are:
- Melb: Fitzpatrick (bit of baby giraffe syndrome) and Mitch Clark (would be a risk but huge upside)
- Stk: Stanley
- Geel: Walker (don't reckon Geelong would let him go)
- Haw: Grimley (played fwd for box hill this year)
- Nth: Daw (hit and miss. Legal issues)
- GWS: Giles (he wants out but not really a fwd)
- Rich: Vickery (already denied)

Stanley probably does seem the most likely. Not convinced i would want their second rounder (#33?) for him without a sweetener of some form. Maybe a 4th round to 3rd round upgrade.

Off top of my head those types of players that may be available are:
- Melb: Fitzpatrick (bit of baby giraffe syndrome) and Mitch Clark (would be a risk but huge upside)
- Stk: Stanley
- Geel: Walker (don't reckon Geelong would let him go)
- Haw: Grimley (played fwd for box hill this year)
- Nth: Daw (hit and miss. Legal issues)
- GWS: Giles (he wants out but not really a fwd)
- Rich: Vickery (already denied)

Stanley probably does seem the most likely. Not convinced i would want their second rounder (#33?) for him without a sweetener of some form. Maybe a 4th round to 3rd round upgrade.
Manimal_Dunstans rumour was that Stanley and a later pick would be put together for a first rounder, as Stanley by himself is not worth one

Manimal_Dunstans rumour was that Stanley and a later pick would be put together for a first rounder, as Stanley by himself is not worth one
That sounds more likely. Would prefer to keep him but between Rhys and Armo would prefer to keep Armo.

If the HUN is right for once this could be pretty big.. I hope Saints have a contingency plan like Longer last off season. If we got Jones he would be only half of the solution seeming we need another fwd/ruck option. Who gets it?

R.McKenzie, M.Clark, ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back