Preview Hawks vs the COLA $wans and the man they call Juda$ - it's the big dance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripper Rioli

Senior List
Aug 4, 2008
Chelsea Heights
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How good is this week going to be? All week we will hear about the $wan$ and how there forward line is unstoppable, and we will do what we do best, continue to prove people wrong. Too slow, Too short, Too good!

Loyal Lion

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy/Brisbane Lions
It's been awhile since I've had to contend with grand final nerves, but I think the fear of losing tended to dominate over the anticipation/expectation of winning. Especially against Collingwood in 2002. You just couldn't lose to them in a grand final....ever! It was such an exhausting relief to hear that siren sound that day. Then came the euphoria! How are you Hawk supporters feeling in general....confident? worried? In the days of old, John Kennedy would have got someone to run through Buddy in the 1st qtr, similar to the brutal 1971 GF. Alastair Lynch tried to take out a few Port players in 2004. Does Brian Lake get carte blanche to "fix" Buddy up, in possibly his last game? Anyways, good luck on Saturday. You well & truly deserve to be there. I'll be sitting in the stands watching on. I just hope that Tom Jones doesn't do a "Meatloaf"....He was awful in 2010!

westhawk

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can't wait to smash the club I hate more than anything. I would like to see Cyril come in for Simpkin, BB come in for Cegs, I just think that BB provides us with that get out kick as he can take a big grab when needed. My other change would be if Reid doesn't come up for them, I would drop Spang and bring in Sewelly.If Reid doesn't play then I don't think there is a need for Spang.

It's been awhile since I've had to contend with grand final nerves, but I think the fear of losing tended to dominate over the anticipation/expectation of winning. Especially against Collingwood in 2002. You just couldn't lose to them in a grand final....ever! It was such an exhausting relief to hear that siren sound that day. Then came the euphoria! How are you Hawk supporters feeling in general....confident? worried? In the days of old, John Kennedy would have got someone to run through Buddy in the 1st qtr, similar to the brutal 1971 GF. Alastair Lynch tried to take out a few Port players in 2004. Does Brian Lake get carte blanche to "fix" Buddy up, in possibly his last game? Anyways, good luck on Saturday. You well & truly deserve to be there. I'll be sitting in the stands watching on. I just hope that Tom Jones doesn't do a "Meatloaf"....He was awful in 2010!
As a supporter I feel less pressure than last year. Probably due to the fact that we were expected to win last year after 2 "choked" years before it. It's hard to win premierships and it's even harder to win them B2B. 3 GFs and 4 PFs in a row is also an amazing achievement. While it will be bitterly disappointing to not win another flag this year there is so much to be proud of and much to look forward to (many young players debuted this year).

We come up against a side that finished above us on the ladder (no matter how slight that margin may be) and it carries all the expectation of winning. The Swans need to win to show the footy world it was worth all the money they spent on Franklin and Tippett. Likewise we've more than proved our teams worth - fighting to another GF after we'd been written off numerous times for losing Franklin, having injuries to key players, losing our coach for 5 weeks and coming up against apparent hoodoo sides in finals.

I'm going to go to the match Saturday with a quiet confidence and the reassuring knowledge that many stats suggest we will win this (recent vs records, scoring characteristics of these 2 teams and previous Grand Finalists, etc.) and that at their best Hawthorn plays some of the most irresistible footy. But I'll temper that with the acknowledgement that stats only suggest possible futures, they don't tell it.

Loyal Lion

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy/Brisbane Lions
As a supporter I feel less pressure than last year. Probably due to the fact that we were expected to win last year after 2 "choked" years before it. It's hard to win premierships and it's even harder to win them B2B. 3 GFs and 4 PFs in a row is also an amazing achievement. While it will be bitterly disappointing to not win another flag this year there is so much to be proud of and much to look forward to (many young players debuted this year).

We come up against a side that finished above us on the ladder (no matter how slight that margin may be) and it carries all the expectation of winning. The Swans need to win to show the footy world it was worth all the money they spent on Franklin and Tippett. Likewise we've more than proved our teams worth - fighting to another GF after we'd been written off numerous times for losing Franklin, having injuries to key players, losing our coach for 5 weeks and coming up against apparent hoodoo sides in finals.

I'm going to go to the match Saturday with a quiet confidence and the reassuring knowledge that many stats suggest we will win this (recent vs records, scoring characteristics of these 2 teams and previous Grand Finalists, etc.) and that at their best Hawthorn plays some of the most irresistible footy. But I'll temper that with the acknowledgement that stats only suggest possible futures, they don't tell it.

Without thinking too far ahead, if anyone can win B2B (possibly the 3 Peat), it's this current Hawthorn team. I just look at Sydney's key defenders...Grundy & Richards, & wonder how they keep winning! They are ordinary to say the least. They get a lot of drive from their half backs - Malceski & Shaw. But you seem to have them covered in most areas of the ground. One thing for sure, they won't take the game on like Port did against you!

Dinner Plate

Cancelled
Apr 30, 2012
*scum are drug cheats
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hello Hawthorn supports.

Just stopping by your board to say a few words. It's fair to say, other than the traditional hate of Collingwood (you're either a Collingwood fan or you're not) our two clubs are probably the next on the list for "Most Hated". There are a lot of reasons people hate our clubs (COLA for us, some dirty players for you) but the one thing that we have in common is recent success. The past 2 primers are going at it for another flag. That's an amazing story in itself. Both teams have tremendous work effort and disciple which is why they're both the teams left. There are no better AFL sides than these two. It is only fitting that they make the Grand Final.

I would also like to congratulate you guys. This is your 3rd Grand Final in a row. That's an outstanding achievement for your club. Not many teams will ever be able to have that. You should be proud of that alone.

I am greatly looking forward to Saturday. As a general AFL fan, I look forward to seeing the 2 best teams play for the greatest prize in our sport. It will be a great game. Good luck.

Equating the Hawks with your stained excuse for an AFL-sanctioned cheating machine is unwelcome here, and moronic.

Sneaking your jabs in between some weaselly-worded arse-licking won't hide it. Stop pretending to be clever and go away.

Equating the Hawks with your stained excuse for an AFL-sanctioned cheating machine is unwelcome here, and moronic.

Sneaking your jabs in between some weaselly-worded arse-licking won't hide it. Stop pretending to be clever and go away.

I loved the bit - "cola for us, dirty players for you"

Couldn't bring himself to say "the most successful club and the envy of others"

Without thinking too far ahead, if anyone can win B2B (possibly the 3 Peat), it's this current Hawthorn team. I just look at Sydney's key defenders...Grundy & Richards, & wonder how they keep winning! They are ordinary to say the least. They get a lot of drive from their half backs - Malceski & Shaw. But you seem to have them covered in most areas of the ground. One thing for sure, they won't take the game on like Port did against you!
Puopolo and Breust being able to keep Malceski and Shaw accountable will go a long way to helping us see a favourable result.

Would love to just bring Goo back for 1 week to knock Buddy flat on his arse. He would do it too.
He still works for the club and will have access to the ground during game day.

Mar 19, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Dallas Cowboys
Hello Hawthorn supports.

Just stopping by your board to say a few words. It's fair to say, other than the traditional hate of Collingwood (you're either a Collingwood fan or you're not) our two clubs are probably the next on the list for "Most Hated". There are a lot of reasons people hate our clubs (COLA for us, some dirty players for you) but the one thing that we have in common is recent success. The past 2 primers are going at it for another flag. That's an amazing story in itself. Both teams have tremendous work effort and disciple which is why they're both the teams left. There are no better AFL sides than these two. It is only fitting that they make the Grand Final.

I would also like to congratulate you guys. This is your 3rd Grand Final in a row. That's an outstanding achievement for your club. Not many teams will ever be able to have that. You should be proud of that alone.

I am greatly looking forward to Saturday. As a general AFL fan, I look forward to seeing the 2 best teams play for the greatest prize in our sport. It will be a great game. Good luck.
Recent sucesss? This should be our 3 peat u cheating campaigners can * off

B0SK

Club Legend
Suspended
Aug 13, 2014
Awaiting WADA's devastating response
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
r inferior
Ohhh make no mistake he has at least one hell of a new trick cryptor...its called contested marking, strong one grab, no fumble hands out on the lead, powerful body positioning in the marking contest without giving away free kicks...he never did that at Hawthorn or against Gibbo before...make no mistake this is the Franklin we all thought he was when at Hawthorn but has only now legitimately earned the all COMPLETE player tag
Funny he played most of his 9 years at Hawthorn with dodgy shoulders/thumbs, now all of a sudden after less than one year at Sydney he's taking the big contested marks with seemingly no discomfort.

Something in the water up there?

Glenferrie Oval

Team Captain
Apr 4, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I just look at Sydney's key defenders...Grundy & Richards, & wonder how they keep winning! They are ordinary to say the least. !

Get them one out! The Sydney defence is a combination. Get them one out and it is a different story. We only have to look at the last time we played them to see that. The hawks were 80 metres from goal at a stoppage. Just before the ball up all the forwards charged up the ground leaving the forward 50 empty. Lewis got the ball kicked a torp over poppy and his opponents head, 1 on 1 the swan opponent s**t himself fell over, goal poppy.
Swans have great forwards, great midfielders and get back to run it out of defence easily. I want to see manic pressure on the defence and I'd love to see the ball go in long and see a 1 on 1. And generally not a tall vs tall.

Breust, poppy and rioli 1 on 1 against their opponent. This is the winning move!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back