Essendon players ready to listen to ASADA deal offers

Remove this Banner Ad

They didn't fully cooperate. They supported court action that attempted to throw out the investigation.
That's just semantics. They fully cooperated with the investigation. They supported, but were not joined to, an unsuccessful attempt to determine whether the investigation was unlawful. What sort of shithouse country would you have us live in just to justify your desire to see the players burned. Pathetic.

I think we're at the stage now where all sides want this resolved as quickly as possible, and we'll see a deal pushed through quite quickly. I doubt that ASADA will push too hard for the full two years, because they know that's the kind of sentence that will lead to more court action and I think they probably just want this case out of the way so they can get on with their normal agenda. 12 months backdated to when the SCNs were issued is a fair enough possibility, which would see the players out until mid-June next year. I don't think the players can really hope for anything more lenient than that, and I'm not sure the club will have too much say in it either way from now on.

As for the EFC fans who were earlier demurring that this court action was a "free hit" - how do you feel now? The loss in this court case has succeeded in underlining how misguided and self-serving the bellicose attitude of the club has been since Little arrived there, and the consequences are now staring you in the face. You've now largely alienated ASADA and the AFL - the two organisations who will decide your fate from now on - as well as the wider footballing public, and - if this article is to be believed - possibly the players as well. Whatever sympathy you'd been able to garner from the "corrupt / incompetent ASADA" narrative played out through the tabloid newspapers has completely evaporated now: the result of this case has made it clear that it's your club that's standing against justice and reason here, not ASADA. It's clear now that they have a legally sound case and you have nothing but blind obstinacy. The players have no reason to side with the club any more, the club itself is split across all levels, and there's no-one left beyond it with any patience or sympathy left to help dig you out of your hole. Even ignoring all the legal costs, I'd say it was quite an expensive "hit", wouldn't you?

Someone earlier said that the fans shouldn't be indicted because of the actions of their club, but I disagree. If there had been enough opposition amongst the fanbase to the strategy followed over the last 18 months by Little and Hird, then they wouldn't have been able to pursue it. Instead, all we've seen from the Essendon fans is sycophantic cheerleading and an almost suicidal degree of blind faith in what the administration has been telling them. If you don't want to be tarnished with the same brush as the sinking EFC administration, now is your last chance to redeem yourselves and the club. Oppose any further court action, denounce the administration for mishandling the situation so badly, throw your support behind the players, and make it clear that you want to see the allegations made against the club be addressed, and to be evaluated on their own merits. I have sympathy for the players in all this and I have sympathy for the fans who are willing to see reason. I do not have any sympathy for the fans who are all too happy to help Little and Hird push the futures of 20 young men off a cliff for fear of admitting they might have got it wrong.

Deserves more than a like. Probably the best and most reasoned post I've read on this board.

That's just semantics. They fully cooperated with the investigation. They supported, but were not joined to, an unsuccessful attempt to determine whether the investigation was unlawful. What sort of shithouse country would you have us live in just to justify your desire to see the players burned. Pathetic.
Delusion

This is the kind of quality delusion that left EFC in the position where it is today.

If the players had not been fed this line of thinking, they'd have taken the six month penalty when it was on the table, and they'd all be looking forward to getting back to footy in the preseason.

Regrettably for the Essendon players, the previous deal is now off the table, and ASADA has very few reasons to put it back on the table.

This is the kind of quality delusion that left EFC in the position where it is today.

If the players had not been fed this line of thinking, they'd have taken the six month penalty when it was on the table, and they'd all be looking forward to getting back to footy in the preseason.

Regrettably for the Essendon players, the previous deal is now off the table, and ASADA has very few reasons to put it back on the table.
LOL let's see what deals will be still on the table from shall we
Think you are going way too early and too hard again IanW, bit like AOD

LOL let's see what deals will be still on the table from shall we
Think you are going way too early and too hard again IanW, bit like AOD

More quality delusion. Go find the posts where some guy was rabbiting on about this thymosin stuff, and it's wound healing properties. See what nick they used.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More quality delusion. Go find the posts where some guy was rabbiting on about this thymosin stuff, and it's wound healing properties. See what nick they used.
How it is that relevant to what deals may be offered to the players by ASADA/AFL in the coming weeks/months??

Will be 6 matches in the end.

I have arrived at that number by comparing the Cronulla result (clear evidence of drug taking) and payback (Essendon dragging this through the mud)

It's annoying that these players won't get punished like they should because the AFL doesn't want a VFL team getting pummelled for 2015.

I think we're at the stage now where all sides want this resolved as quickly as possible, and we'll see a deal pushed through quite quickly. I doubt that ASADA will push too hard for the full two years, because they know that's the kind of sentence that will lead to more court action and I think they probably just want this case out of the way so they can get on with their normal agenda. 12 months backdated to when the SCNs were issued is a fair enough possibility, which would see the players out until mid-June next year. I don't think the players can really hope for anything more lenient than that, and I'm not sure the club will have too much say in it either way from now on.

As for the EFC fans who were earlier demurring that this court action was a "free hit" - how do you feel now? The loss in this court case has succeeded in underlining how misguided and self-serving the bellicose attitude of the club has been since Little arrived there, and the consequences are now staring you in the face. You've now largely alienated ASADA and the AFL - the two organisations who will decide your fate from now on - as well as the wider footballing public, and - if this article is to be believed - possibly the players as well. Whatever sympathy you'd been able to garner from the "corrupt / incompetent ASADA" narrative played out through the tabloid newspapers has completely evaporated now: the result of this case has made it clear that it's your club that's standing against justice and reason here, not ASADA. It's clear now that they have a legally sound case and you have nothing but blind obstinacy. The players have no reason to side with the club any more, the club itself is split across all levels, and there's no-one left beyond it with any patience or sympathy left to help dig you out of your hole. Even ignoring all the legal costs, I'd say it was quite an expensive "hit", wouldn't you?

Someone earlier said that the fans shouldn't be indicted because of the actions of their club, but I disagree. If there had been enough opposition amongst the fanbase to the strategy followed over the last 18 months by Little and Hird, then they wouldn't have been able to pursue it. Instead, all we've seen from the Essendon fans is sycophantic cheerleading and an almost suicidal degree of blind faith in what the administration has been telling them. If you don't want to be tarnished with the same brush as the sinking EFC administration, now is your last chance to redeem yourselves and the club. Oppose any further court action, denounce the administration for mishandling the situation so badly, throw your support behind the players, and make it clear that you want to see the allegations made against the club be addressed, and to be evaluated on their own merits. I have sympathy for the players in all this and I have sympathy for the fans who are willing to see reason. I do not have any sympathy for the fans who are all too happy to help Little and Hird push the futures of 20 young men off a cliff for fear of admitting they might have got it wrong.
Well written post. The last paragraph should be read by every bomber fan on this site.
My brother, a bomber fan for 50 years, could not talk to other bomber fans about the whole thing because they just would not accept that the club did anything wrong (aggressively at times).
The club needs a new administration and coaching set up - brand new - to rebuild the club and move on from where they are now.
Players should grab 12 months if they can.

It's annoying that these players won't get punished like they should because the AFL doesn't want a VFL team getting pummelled for 2015.
Doesn't matter what the AFL want, it is really up to WADA if they are going to appeal or not (assuming a wet lettuce slap).

How it is that relevant to what deals may be offered to the players by ASADA/AFL in the coming weeks/months??

Because the key problem in this is delusion.

In reality, I was the guy banging the drum on thymosin.

In your delusional universe, I was all about the AOD.

In reality, I nailed the exact act sections Middleton would use to OK the joint investigation.

In your delusional universe, Essendon were always going to win.

Oh, also, in reality Fahey has gone public with the fact the clock is ticking. Are you really delusional enough to think that references tio not discounted penalties is just bluff ?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-...-to-delay-asada-process/5757748?section=sport

The players will still be offered a deal. ASADA wants this done and dusted. They realise the club via Dank most likely duped them. This guy would lie to his dying mother. Everyone knows that. From day 1, I said he was not to be trusted. ASADA knows that. The AFL knows that. Most Essendon supporters know that. It doesn't sound like Little has realised that yet......

don't understand how the players could be in a position to "cut a deal"? either the evidence is there or it isn't, and if it's there then you should have to do the time. EFC have dragged this on as long as humanly possible, they've deliberately muddied the waters with a messy PR campaign and publically slagged off ASADA for the majority of the investigation... and i know that's 'the club's' actions and not 'the players', but hiding behind the "it's the club that did all that not me" line for as long as you possibly can is utter rubbish, if the players weren't happy with how the club was going about it's business then they should have said so and dealt with ASADA properly. what cards do players even have to cut a deal? i mean, they're at the end of the line here. threaten to take it to CAS? every athlete banned by ASADA has that right.

I have sympathy for the players in all this and I have sympathy for the fans who are willing to see reason. I do not have any sympathy for the fans who are all too happy to help Little and Hird push the futures of 20 young men off a cliff for fear of admitting they might have got it wrong.

Very well said, I couldn't agree more.

Because the key problem in this is delusion.

In reality, I was the guy banging the drum on thymosin.

In your delusional universe, I was all about the AOD.

In reality, I nailed the exact act sections Middleton would use to OK the joint investigation.

In your delusional universe, Essendon were always going to win.

Oh, also, in reality Fahey has gone public with the fact the clock is ticking. Are you really delusional enough to think that references tio not discounted penalties is just bluff ?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-...-to-delay-asada-process/5757748?section=sport
So you have been right on some occasions and wrong on others. Pardon me if I decided to take a different point of view to you. I think that IF the EFC players take a deal it will be similar to the one accepted by Cronulla players. In some ways I hope that they don't because I would like to see exactly what the evidence is. My desire is a genuine desire, unlike McDevitt's publicly expressed 'desire' to find out exactly what happened in 2012. It seems like we may never get to see what happened at Cronulla. However, I will still fully support any decision the players make, after all it's their future not mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back