2014 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 27, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
How would he compare to OrrenS? Or perhaps you would like to say who he plays a bit like?
I didn't really see a lot of "Big O", but from memory he was a bit slow and lumbering. I was surprised at Baulderstone's fitness - he belies his observable physical condition. He's slow, no doubt, but he seemed to run all day. He'd no doubt be exposed at AFL level, but perhaps in the AFL system, this issue would be arrested somewhat. It'll be interesting to see whether he attracts any AFL interest this year.

Mar 30, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Turbocat; The Pivotonian

I've been watching the SANFL Grand Final, with the idea of keeping a close eye on Sam Baulderstone. I have to say, he's played really well for Norwood and has been dominating the tap outs thus far. Interestingly, he's also one of three players SANFL to be named in the 2014 AIS AFL Academy.
Did you take notice of ex-Bulldog Matthew Panos? Supposedly has gone back and turned himself into a bit of a gun inside midfielder after being recruited as a forward in the AFL.

Jul 27, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Can you elaborate a little. Do you think he could be rookie listed?
He didn't stand out as head and shoulders above everyone else on the ground, but he was every bit as good, and in many cases better, than Port's vast array of AFL listed players. On the back of seeing him play one SANFL game, albeit a GF, he definitely has the right ingredients to make him a potential AFL player. I don't reckon he'd be any better than a fringe player based on what I saw, but that's not factoring in the potential to flourish under an AFL system. Having said that though, there's plenty of other SANFL players who could mount a serious case to be drafted into the AFL system, too.

Turbocat; The Pivotonian

I've been watching the SANFL Grand Final, with the idea of keeping a close eye on Sam Baulderstone. I have to say, he's played really well for Norwood and has been dominating the tap outs thus far. Interestingly, he's also one of three players SANFL to be named in the 2014 AIS AFL Academy.
From what I'm hearing, he isn't a bad, cheap(ish) option.

Played in senior company for a couple of years now. If other options aren't available to us I think he might be worth a dip with a late pick.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Anyone see the TAC Grand Final?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...hargers-to-tac-cup-title-20140921-10jzfa.html

Good to see Ahern feature for the Cannons and De Goey also played well according to the report.

De Goey looks a the sort of player we need doesn't he? Strong in the contest, good overhead and hits the scoreboard. The only criticism I've seen of him is that he isn't a great accumulator. That may improve in time. I'm not sure what his endurance or speed are like but the limited vision I've seen of him it seems ok. Looks a bit Caddy like I reckon.

De Goey looks a the sort of player we need doesn't he? Strong in the contest, good overhead and hits the scoreboard. The only criticism I've seen of him is that he isn't a great accumulator. That may improve in time. I'm not sure what his endurance or speed are like but the limited vision I've seen of him it seems ok. Looks a bit Caddy like I reckon.
I gotta say, I'm must be on my lonesome when it comes to De Goey as I didn't see anything in him that excited me. Just looked like a good, solid player.

Still, better judges than me rate him so that's good enough for me. I think the back half of his year has been pretty good by all accounts.

To provide more names, West Adelaide (another very good club at developing junior footballers) won the U18 over my boys Woodville-West Torrens.

Sam Durdin was the Alan Stewart Medallist (best player on the ground) with 33 disposals, 14 tackles and 9 clearances as Westies won from the premiership from fifth.

A guy I've mentioned a few times, Jesse Watchman, kicked 4 for the winners while Ethan Haylock and Jack Gaffney had 58 disposals between them for the Eagles.

EDIT: It appears those stats originally attributed to Durdin belonged to Will Snelling. Durdin played in ruck and had 48 HOs, 9 marks, 12 disposals and 7 tackles. Apologies for that mistake...not that we're likely to get near Durdin anyway.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I gotta say, I'm must be on my lonesome when it comes to De Goey as I didn't see anything in him that excited me. Just looked like a good, solid player.

Still, better judges than me rate him so that's good enough for me. I think the back half of his year has been pretty good by all accounts.

To provide more names, West Adelaide (another very good club at developing junior footballers) won the U18 over my boys Woodville-West Torrens.

Sam Durdin was the Alan Stewart Medallist (best player on the ground) with 33 disposals, 14 tackles and 9 clearances as Westies won from the premiership from fifth.

A guy I've mentioned a few times, Jesse Watchman, kicked 4 for the winners while Ethan Haylock and Jack Gaffney had 58 disposals between them for the Eagles.

What's Watchman's game like? I've heard his kicking action (ball drop?) is a bit suspect.

What's Watchman's game like? I've heard his kicking action (ball drop?) is a bit suspect.
I wish I could say as I haven't been able to lay eyes on him.

He can play both forward and back and 4 goals (depending on where he kicked them from) isn't a shabby effort in a Grand Final.

But leading into the Champs he kicked bags of 5 and 6 in consecutive weeks and at 197cm and 94kgs I'm prepared to cut him some slack.

But, while he reads well, I can't say I've actually seen him. But his name keeps popping up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I wish I could say as I haven't been able to lay eyes on him.

He can play both forward and back and 4 goals (depending on where he kicked them from) isn't a shabby effort in a Grand Final.

But leading into the Champs he kicked bags of 5 and 6 in consecutive weeks and at 197cm and 94kgs I'm prepared to cut him some slack.

But, while he reads well, I can't say I've actually seen him. But his name keeps popping up.

On paper it seems odd he isn't rated higher by the draft experts on BigFooty. Seems like he might be a good later choice if you want a tall.

On paper it seems odd he isn't rated higher by the draft experts on BigFooty. Seems like he might be a good later choice if you want a tall.
Injured at the start of the year, didn't play Champs (apart from a brief appearance out West iirc) and little exposure (if any) at senior level in SA.

All that equals "flying under the BigFooty radar".

Doesn't mean he'll get drafted mind you but Watchman did get a gig for the State Screening so someone wants to have a look at him.

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong

That Sam Durdin sounds like a freak, 14 tackles along with the rest he did and he's nearly 6'6", he must have some speed and agility to do all that.
Hope he comes into our window of opportunity.

That Sam Durdin sounds like a freak, 14 tackles along with the rest he did and he's nearly 6'6", he must have some speed and agility to do all that.
Hope he comes into our window of opportunity.
I doubt we'd get near him.

Kid can play. :thumbsu:

After wanting Lewis Taylor last year, I'm staying away from the short players.
Why? He put together a great season.

Or are you employing a bit of reverse psychology?

Assuming we only delist one rookie (sheringham) we would be better off rookieing baulderstone and not putting cowan on the rookie list imo.

Or Bates off the rookie and Sam on….

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back