List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Discussion 2014 [Current Picks: 12, 33, 52]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I have locked the numerous other threads discussing mostly the same thing and thought it would be easier to have one thread for us all to focus on.

Lets keep it as realistic as possible and leave the fantasy out of it.

To this point we have discussed the below targets in detail (if I miss anyone, let me know)

Shiel
Danger
Frawley
Ryder
Giles
WHE
Mitchell
O'Rourke
Rohan
Saad
Bleese
Carlisle
Garlett
Bastinac
Moore

Possible trade Bait(again let me know if I have missed anyone)

Grimes
Batch
Madonna
Dea
Vickery
Conca
Foley
Houli

Last edited:
Stylo Re. Houli and first for Shiel and their third. No way, Houli is our best defender after Rance and is basically the only player in our back six who continually offers run (besides Rance). Also personally think his defensive work is underrated and has come a long way since he first joined though many fans still haven't caught on to that.

Stylo Re. Houli and first for Shiel and their third. No way, Houli is our best defender after Rance and is basically the only player in our back six who continually offers run (besides Rance). Also personally think his defensive work is underrated and has come a long way since he first joined though many fans still haven't caught on to that.
I agree but I would do it for a better pick than their 3rd.

Houli would have some currency and appeal in Sydney.

I would do our 1st and Houli for Shiel and their 2nd.

My thoughts on each

Shiel - Would be a great get, if we had a chance at a reasonable trade
Danger - As above, but probably better to chase next year with FA
Frawley - Don't see a need for him, he's over rated and super expensive, let Freo deal with his salary
Ryder - Wants to leave Victoria, not worth discussing really
Giles - Going to SA, no chance and probably wouldn't want to come to be another backup ruck man again but if we can swap Hampson for him then I'd do it.
WHE - Want him at Richmond more than any other on this list, I think his late season form may make it tough to get him though as his price will have gone through the roof
Mitchell - Good young player, but he doesn't offer much on the outside and with Miles coming in this year we aren't screaming out for another slow inside mid
O'Rourke - I'm sure GWS would want a good return for an ex-#2 pick, he must have lost a bit of currency though, wouldn't be against getting him
Rohan - No way he'll leave Sydney, why would he?
Saad - Rookie list perhaps, has good pace but not worth a senior spot
Bleese - I'd like to get him, if we can de-Melbournise him then he has the line breaking pace we need. May be a good rookie option if another club doesn't get him.
Carlisle - Would be a great get if he decides to leave, would love to know if he's one of the players not happy with the recent court case result. I think we are ok for KPP, but he's one of the best young talls in the league so would not be upset if we got him
Garlett - I think he's exactly the type we need up forward, if we can get him for a 3rd rounder then I'd be very tempted.

If we got 1 out of Sheil/Danger/WHE/O'Rourke/Carlisle and 1 out of Saad/Blease/Garlett for cheap then I think the off season would be considered a massive success, as long as we don't give up the farm to land them.

Then we lose his impact up forward where he has been excellent. We are already a rebounding defender down as it is anyway.
Deledio's best position is on the HBF.

Morris Rance Chaplin

Houli Astbury Deledio

Looks like a good back six

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We would have zero rebound. Even though that is overs in our favour I wouldn't do it because we wouldn't be able to get the ball out of the backline.
But with Shiel in our midfield who needs a half backline.:D

Morris Rance Chaplin

Houli Astbury Deledio

We settled him at half forward for the second half of the year and he was arguably just about the best player in the comp during the last 10 weeks of the season. Think half forward is where he belongs

Morris Rance Chaplin

Houli Astbury Deledio

He was elite in one of the toughest positions to play in the league. I don't think we should be throwing him around all the time. Besides if we throw him back we still need Houli. You need 2 good rebounding half backs and we literally have Houli and nothing.

Knights Griffiths Gordon

Edwards Reidwoldt Vickery

Being full fit our forward line is okay imo.

Why we were so bad at the start of the year is that we couldn't get the ball out of defence.

Knights Griffiths Gordon

Edwards Reidwoldt Vickery

Being full fit our forward line is okay imo.

Why we were so bad at the start of the year is that we couldn't get the ball out of defence.
Who plays the 21 games that Knights doesn't? :p

He was elite in one of the toughest positions to play in the league. I don't think we should be throwing him around all the time. Besides if we throw him back we still need Houli. You need 2 good rebounding half backs and we literally have Houli and nothing.

I would disagree, Play Lennon/Mcdonough in Houli's absence if he does go.

HFF is one of the toughest positions in the league.

I would disagree, Play Lennon/Mcdonough in Houli's absence if he does go.
You really think they are ready to be our one and only rebounding defender? We would finish bottom 6.

HFF is one of the toughest positions in the league.
That's exactly what I said. We don't have anyone who can play it as well as Lids did. It was a huge part of us winning 9 in a row.

We simply need another rebounding half back, shouldn't even consider trading Houli, we're one down as it is.

Deledio dominated just about the hardest spot in the league to play, have to keep him there.

Lennon and McDonough are young naturally suited forwards, we can't be expecting them to fill that role. We need to either trade in someone or draft a Josh Glenn type who could come in and play that role.

You really think they are ready to be our one and only rebounding defender? We would finish bottom 6.

That's exactly what I said. We don't have anyone who can play it as well as Lids did. It was a huge part of us winning 9 in a row.

I was saying them with Deledio.

You're wrong that the HFF is one of the hardest positions in the league, but I agree Deledio plays it very well.

Knights, Mcdonough, Gordon, Edwards, Martin can all play HFF reasonably well imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back