List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Discussion 2014 [Current Picks: 12, 33, 52]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was saying them with Deledio.

You're wrong that the HFF is one of the hardest positions in the league, but I agree Deledio plays it very well.

Knights, Mcdonough, Gordon, Edwards, Martin can all play HFF reasonably well imo.
Problem with that list is KNights barely plays, Madonna may leave, Gordon is inconsistent, Titch is a small fwd and Martin plays deep.

I was saying them with Deledio.

You're wrong that the HFF is one of the hardest positions in the league, but I agree Deledio plays it very well.

Knights, Mcdonough, Gordon, Edwards, Martin can all play HFF reasonably well imo.
Fair enough on the first part. Not disagreeing Deledio can play HBF well.

Gordon, Edwards and Martin were already playing with Lids rotating in those positions. So it's out of Knights and McDonough to replace him forward.

Fair enough on the first part. Not disagreeing Deledio can play HBF well.

Gordon, Edwards and Martin were already playing with Lids rotating in those positions. So it's out of Knights and McDonough to replace him forward.

I think madonna could be a 30 goal HFF.

I think madonna could be a 30 goal HFF.
I agree but it's a big risk to be taking when we should be pushing top 4 next year. The interesting part could be whether we play the 3 talls because Lids provides that 3rd marking option. If we play a 3rd tall it might not be as important.

You really think they are ready to be our one and only rebounding defender? We would finish bottom 6.
Get Malceski as a FA.Problem solved.
Would prefer Morris and not Houli but i don't thing GWS are that Stupid.

I agree but it's a big risk to be taking when we should be pushing top 4 next year. The interesting part could be whether we play the 3 talls because Lids provides that 3rd marking option. If we play a 3rd tall it might not be as important.

I think we should play a tall third.

Vickery, Griffiths, Reiwoldt can all play together imo.

Vickery = deep forward

Reiwoldt = Stay's around the 35 - 60 meter mark

Griffiths = Romes well up the ground on the wings and to half back when we are kicking in sometimes.

On the matter.

If we offered our first pick and Houli, GWS wouldn't even pick up the phone.

I think myself and a couple of others have said to flood our forward line of our better talents. I also think Deledio is an All Australian Half backer but his performances up forward gave us another dimension. Dustin Martin also.

Let's look at things the way they stand. We are trying to win a flag. Not just be a good team. To do that, we need the better talent than the likes of Hawthorn, Sydney, Port and Freo who I believe are the top 4 teams at this point.

We need to get a lot better all over, but if we can have our better talents in dangerous positions it would make the opposition worry. Hence why I believe we need to make our three tall forward structure work and have Deledio and Martin play forward more than midfield.

The way I'd structure our forward line would be:

Martin Riewoldt Deledio
Small forward Griffiths Vickery

That small forward needs to have electric pace and defensive mindset. Now closely look at that forward line, if it works, how much trouble will opposition have in trying to contain it?

In order for that to happen we need two things happen. A forward coach of quality to have the structures and players working well and for each other and secondly, our midfield to be one of the better ones in the league.

Our midfield is our pride and joy. But take Deledio and Martin out of the midfield and we are a couple of pieces short. We need Vlastuin, Ellis and Conca all to step it up again, Miles to continue what he was doing and of course Cotchin to be injury free and do his thing. Ivan Maric is our most vital piece. He goes down we don't have that engine driving our side. We really need to look for another ruckman we can trust. Also outside pace. Desperate for it.

Our backline needs a fair bit of work. Rance is the jewel. He's the best defender in the league. A gun. So our rock is set. Astbury proved me wrong and became a very good defender. He has question marks regarding his body so let's hope that stays positive. Chaplin is very hit or miss. But he is a positive influence on Rance and when he plays well we look that much better. Houli has had a sensational year and is probably in the top 5 of our best and fairest. We need some work on our small defenders as Morris is very suspect despite his bravery and Dea can't seem to crack it in the firsts. Grimes got back to some form and his pace was good at the end of the year, I still harbor hope he can be what we want him to come but again questions surround him.

Rance, Astbury and Chaplin our big three with Houli are the pieces for me. We need to find two more. I think Ben Lennon can be a very good Half Back flanker for us with his kicking skills and reading of the play. With good coaching he could develop his defensive game. I would look to Litherland from Hawthorn if we don't use Lennon in that capacity. A small defender in the Nick Smith/Taylor Duryea mold would be great.

A few more pieces needed.

A small forward.

A inside midfielder.

Outside pace.

A small defender.

Back up ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you are disregarding how important run out of the defence is in the modern game.

You look at the good sides and their half back flankers are very good players.

Swans = Malceski, Rampe, Shaw

Hawks = Birchall, Suckling, Hodge

defence wins premierships.

I think you are disregarding how important run out of the defence is in the modern game.

You look at the good sides and their half back flankers are very good players.

Swans = Malceski, Rampe, Shaw

Hawks = Birchall, Suckling, Hodge

defence wins premierships.
Most definitely. They also have gun forward lines too. We can't keep switching Deledio to plug a hole as it leaves another. We need to actually go out and fix the problem with new players and not trade out Houli because it just creates a bigger hole.

Most definitely. They also have gun forward lines too. We can't keep switching Deledio to plug a hole as it leaves another. We need to actually go out and fix the problem with new players and not trade out Houli because it just creates a bigger hole.

Realistically this shows how far away we are from top 4 lol.

IMO the realistic targets for us are:
Shiel
WHE
Mitchell
O'Rourke
Bleese

In order I'd like to see us chase - WHE, Shiel, Mitchell, Blease, O'Rourke.

As for the trade bait from our end, IMO it's the following:
Grimes - 2nd round
Grigg - 2nd round
Dea - late 2nd/early 3rd round, maybe early 2nd round if we through in a steak knife pick as well.
Batch - 2nd round
Madonna - 2nd round
Vickery -late first round
Conca - late first round

As I posted in the other thread, regarding our trade bait, that is the group with Vickery & Conca only being possible if an offer came our way that was too good to refuse. I wouldn't be trading anyone outside this group unless the offer was well and truly in our favour. Even then I'd be thinking long and hard about making any changes to our group as the group IMO is pretty well placed right about now for sustained success.

IMO the realistic targets for us are:
Shiel
WHE
Mitchell

O'Rourke
Bleese

In order I'd like to see us chase - WHE, Shiel, Mitchell, Blease, O'Rourke.

As for the trade bait from our end, IMO it's the following:
Grimes - 2nd round
Grigg - 2nd round
Dea - late 2nd/early 3rd round, maybe early 2nd round if we through in a steak knife pick as well.
Batch - 2nd round
Madonna - 2nd round
Vickery -late first round
Conca - late first round

As I posted in the other thread, regarding our trade bait, that is the group with Vickery & Conca only being possible if an offer came our way that was too good to refuse. I wouldn't be trading anyone outside this group unless the offer was well and truly in our favour. Even then I'd be thinking long and hard about making any changes to our group as the group IMO is pretty well placed right about now for sustained success.

Would love the bolded but just won't happen.

WHE isn't going anywhere and Mitchell seems set on the blues.

We can get Shiel, but we will have to offer overs.

I'm kinda hoping we bolster the midfield this year and next in both the draft and trade/FA periods.
Unless we can get a seriously A grade KPP through any of those means, we already have a good stock there that can take us pretty far.

Bolster the midfield to coincide with Miles, Vlastuin, Ellis all being ready to take over and add some more talent, then Dusty and Cotchin can spend a lot of time forward and only rotate through the midfield, and Deledio can play HBF and roam forward too.
I don't think the latter 3 have shown they can be a truly dominant midfield but as forwards they could be scarily good as a trio, and Lids would give us that class across HBF again when he's there.
So yeah, it means we need to find some more midfielders.

I'd love to see this-

B Jaksch - Astbury - Batchelor
HB Grimes - Rance - Houli
C Edwards - Vlastuin - Hoskin-Elliot
HF Deledio - Griffiths - Lennon
F Cotchin - Riewoldt - Martin
R Maric - Miles - Ellis
Int Shiel - Conca (Dangerfield) - O'Rourke - Garlett

Imagine!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.