Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Chris, looking at our worst performers last night (IMO) and given that we don't have any obvious replacements for them on our list, I'd be interested in your thoughts on which draftees we could possibly pick to replace these players;

Suban
De Boer
Pearce
Mayne

I'm of the opinion that Clarke will improve so left him off the list.

Thanks.

Chris

Would like to know your opinion Brett Eddy and Sam Grimley?

Was very impressed with Eddy after watching the Semi Final yesterday, and I thought he would be well suited to playing the 3rd tall role.

Haven't seen a lot of Sam Grimley, but I was hoping he could play as a ruck\fwd with Sandi or Clarke rucking 90% of the game.

Will Eddy be drafted? What compensation would Hawks want for Grimley?

Do they have the talent to make it in the AFL?

Hey Chris, What are your thoughts on Cory Gregson and Alex Neal-Bullen

In short, I like them both.

I've done a profile on Alex Neal-Bullen here. So that covers most of my thoughts on him. I like him as a second round prospect, but there's still a chance he slides a tad. He's had a very good SANFL season, and could easily start his career down back before moving into the midfield. Not the flashiest and probably doesn't tick a heap of boxes, but he is just a very good footballer.

In my profile of Neal-Bullen, I compared him to Lachie Neale from Fremantle. And there is a little of Neale in Cory Gregson too - small but strong clearance player, can also go forward and offer a few things up there. But I think some people may be selling him a little short because he is, well, short. Short and stocky. He's actually a decent athlete, with very good foot skills. He is a bit like a Jamie Elliott up forward, without the big marks. I think he could be a good value pick come the third round.

Hi Chris, looking at our worst performers last night (IMO) and given that we don't have any obvious replacements for them on our list, I'd be interested in your thoughts on which draftees we could possibly pick to replace these players;

Suban
De Boer
Pearce
Mayne

I'm of the opinion that Clarke will improve so left him off the list.

Thanks.

First of all, I thought Mayne was quite good against Port - well, at least in the first quarter. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing him more across half back, I didn't mind him floating back loose and being able to work his way up the ground into the forward half. As good as his tackling pressure is, he was missing for most of the year. Teams seem to be able to take him out of the game as a forward too easily. But switch him around and give him the licence to run, similar to Westhoff at Port, and maybe he'll find new life. Maybe Max Duffy can take over Mayne's old forward role? Otherwise, Mitch McGovern as an immediate option and Brenton Payne as the longterm project would be options.

And as for Danyle Pearce, he's always been a hit and miss player. He's won us games before, and goes missing in others. That's just what you get. But given the consistency the likes of Walters and Hill have shown, you can carry a player like that. And ideally, we already have our replacement in Josh Simpson. Hopefully he gets another year on the list.

Suban and DeBoer though, well I think we can do a little better. Suban certainly has the talent, but he just doesn't find anywhere near enough ball. He's been tried pretty much everywhere now. Sheridan should continue to improve and press for more game time, along with young Brady Grey. But I do think another strong bodied, grunt midfielder would be handy. We saw how much we were lacking when Fyfe and Barlow were missing. The obvious option is Connor Blakely, the local boy. And I've always said that Jordan DeGoey, Corey Ellis and Jackson Nelson all have the look of Fremantle draftees. Brenden Abbott would be a very good pick, and I think will be picked early by one of the WA teams - hopefully we beat out the Eagles for him. I'm sure we'll draft Matthew Hanson as our customary Tasmanian selection too.

Do you believe all this talk about McCartain dropping down the draft to pick 4

It's certainly possible. McCartin is the best forward in the draft, but Petracca is the best player. That will be a big call for the Saints at #1. Melbourne need elite midfield help, and would get that in Brayshaw. Plus, McCartin is perhaps a little too similar to Hogan in playing style so how would they work together? The potential Frawley compensation pick is the key, particularly if the Demons were to trade it away. And GWS wont take McCartin, so suddenly he is there at 5...

Chris

Would like to know your opinion Brett Eddy and Sam Grimley?

Was very impressed with Eddy after watching the Semi Final yesterday, and I thought he would be well suited to playing the 3rd tall role.

Haven't seen a lot of Sam Grimley, but I was hoping he could play as a ruck\fwd with Sandi or Clarke rucking 90% of the game.

Will Eddy be drafted? What compensation would Hawks want for Grimley?

Do they have the talent to make it in the AFL?

In terms of Grimley, I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on every player on every AFL list. But I can't see why Fremantle would want him. We have Michael Apeness developing in that exact role, and another three ruckmen on our list already. I've said it elsewhere, I believe the last thing we need is another 200cm player.

Brett Eddy is the type we need though, a slightly smaller (193-195cm) marking forward. But, I'm still not convinced by Eddy. As good as he has been this year in the SANFL, I can't help but think he'll be found out at AFL level. Not sure he is quite versatile enough to play as that third tall forward, and definitely not good enough to be the #1 guy. He could definitely go either way, but I'd be waiting until the rookie draft.

Thanks Chris. Love and agree with your thoughts on Mayne and totally agree on Simpson. Coming into this season I was confident that either Simpson or Silvia would force Pearce out of the side obviously both have been disappointing.

Will follow the youngsters you've nominated with interest. Cheers.

Chris, what do you make of Billy Evans from Bendigo? I haven't seen anyone write him up but I reckon he's very draftable. Measured at 189cm earlier in the year and doesn't turn 18 for another month so might easily have grown. Strong-bodied inside mid who uses the ball well by foot and especially by hand.

Chris , I have not been able to find a detail write up on Sam Baulderstone , have you seen much of him , where would you say he would be in relation to playing AFL in 2015? Seems to be a similar story to Mumford

Baulderstone is easily the best mature aged ruckman not on an AFL list. Probably unlucky not to be rookied last year, and has only improved - coming third in the Magarey Medal this year. Plus, he's only turning 24 this year. If I was to compare him to anyone, it would probably be Jonathon Giles or even Jarrod Witts. He's a good pure ruckman, and decent enough at a lot of things to be able to have an impact around the ground. His foot skills in particular are surprisingly good. The only thing he hasn't shown is the ability to go forward and really have an impact. And that will need to improve if he is to make it in the AFL. But, his development to this point has been impressive so there is nothing to say he wont develop that part of his game too.

Chris, what do you make of Billy Evans from Bendigo? I haven't seen anyone write him up but I reckon he's very draftable. Measured at 189cm earlier in the year and doesn't turn 18 for another month so might easily have grown. Strong-bodied inside mid who uses the ball well by foot and especially by hand.

I was a little surprised that Billy Evans only got a state combine invite this year, having been a consistent performer for Vic Country and one of Bendigo's best players in the TAC Cup. Midfielders his size with clearance abilities are usually quite highly sought after. At a guess, I'd say clubs probably think they know what he has to offer already and maybe they were all just expecting someone else to nominate him. He probably doesn't do anything one thing at an absolutely elite level, just good at most things. A bit like Viv Michie, he can win lots of ball and look good doing so but doesn't impact the game as much as others. He should definitely get drafted, and be valuable depth if not more.

Hey mate really interested to get your thoughts on how some of players from last ywar have ended up. I got bits and pieces reading through but would be great for a summary. In particular interested in the chances of conlon, waseley black, isiah miller, hourigan and dwayne wilson.

I was also interested to hear your thoughts on the 30 ais boys from this year in regards to whi is safe to be drafted and who may be overlookez?

Cheers dan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pace is probably a bit below average. He's the typical slow inside mid. Can find it though.

Decent endurance.

We need a small defender and a more effective tagger (one that hurts the opposition) so was just wondering if he could fill one of those roles but sounds as if he could be a tad tardy. Thanks.

Hello Chris, Just wanting to know your thoughts about a couple of players

Darcy Cameron, Do you believe he will get drafted this year really would love the tigers to take a shot at him with a Rookie selection if available

Dwayne Wilson, Extremely unlucky last year another player i would love to see at the Tigers as a rookie

Nakie Cockatoo, I know he has missed most of the year with stress fractures but where do you see him going if at all

Hey mate really interested to get your thoughts on how some of players from last ywar have ended up. I got bits and pieces reading through but would be great for a summary. In particular interested in the chances of conlon, waseley black, isiah miller, hourigan and dwayne wilson.

I was also interested to hear your thoughts on the 30 ais boys from this year in regards to whi is safe to be drafted and who may be overlookez?

Cheers dan

I think I wrote about Isaiah Miller a few pages back, basically he has been good but not great in the VFL Reserves. I'd be happy to take him based on what he has shown over the past three years and the obvious talent he has, more a rookie chance. As for Cameron Conlon, 2014 was all about recovery so he didn't play much football at all. Maybe a team takes a punt, but nothing much has changed since last year so you'd think they'd all wait another year.

Unfortunately for Darcy Hourigan, he was battling injuries for part of the year. Which is a shame because from all reports he was looking really good earlier in the season. He came back to play about half the season, and showed good signs. He looks to have improved his fitness base this year, which is one thing that likely held him back. Again, you'd be looking at a rookie pick but having that 190cm marking forward is important for structures and a few more clubs are looking at that position. So he should be in with a chance. A full season in 2015 should get him drafted though.

Dwayne Wilson wont get drafted. He has done next to nothing this year in 11 Reserves games, showing less than he did in 2013. No idea what happened there.

As for the 2014 AIS-AFL Academy, a few are not guaranteed to get drafted - Griffiths, Coughlan, Bower, McGrath, McLaren, Walsh, Lim, Miller-Lewis, Ah Siu, Bevan, Cockatoo.

Hello Chris, Just wanting to know your thoughts about a couple of players

Darcy Cameron, Do you believe he will get drafted this year really would love the tigers to take a shot at him with a Rookie selection if available

Nakie Cockatoo, I know he has missed most of the year with stress fractures but where do you see him going if at all

Darcy Cameron is certainly in with a chance. It's a pretty poor year for ruckmen - I like Tom Read, along with Peter Spurling and maybe Braydon Preuss as rookies but otherwise the rest have shown less than Cameron did last year. And Cameron has had a decent year in the WAFL. It seems like teams just don't like drafting 18 year old ruckmen, it's easier to let them develop in the lower leagues and pick them when they're ready. But, I think Cameron should get taken this time around - anywhere from around the fourth round to rookie draft.

Nakia Cockatoo is a hard one just because of those injuries and barely playing in his draft year. He's been invited to the draft combine and will play in the curtain raiser to the GF, so he can certainly put his name up in lights. He should get drafted, but I wont even try to put a range on him. His speed/skill combination is certainly enticing, so who knows how early someone will go.

Darcy Cameron is certainly in with a chance. It's a pretty poor year for ruckmen - I like Tom Read, along with Peter Spurling and maybe Braydon Preuss as rookies but otherwise the rest have shown less than Cameron did last year. And Cameron has had a decent year in the WAFL. It seems like teams just don't like drafting 18 year old ruckmen, it's easier to let them develop in the lower leagues and pick them when they're ready. But, I think Cameron should get taken this time around - anywhere from around the fourth round to rookie draft.

Nakia Cockatoo is a hard one just because of those injuries and barely playing in his draft year. He's been invited to the draft combine and will play in the curtain raiser to the GF, so he can certainly put his name up in lights. He should get drafted, but I wont even try to put a range on him. His speed/skill combination is certainly enticing, so who knows how early someone will go.
I like both Darcy & Nakia as Rookies and really hope these kids get a chance

I would love Darcy at the tigers as a rookie to develop at VFL level

Playing over half the year in the reserves is a decent year now?

Cameron has a sizable bandwagon of fans on here and it's a bit perplexing. Are people just rating him over what they saw as an 18 year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back