Sando sacked - confirmed **** crows only ****

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we were warned that Sanderson would get too close to the players and wouldn't be able to make the tough calls.

Instead his downfall is not being close enough with the players.

You've got to admire the passion, but these are the clueless dickheads who thrive on the 'making the 8' mentality; they'd rather everything was comfortable and cosy and everyone was happy and looked after, than risking upheaval to try and improve.
And will quickly forget their so called poor coaches etc that got left behind if we do turn into a dangerous powerful club..
They'll be lapping it up without recognising why it's happened..

So we were warned that Sanderson would get too close to the players and wouldn't be able to make the tough calls.

Instead his downfall is not being close enough with the players.
Yeah I guess that's the difference between being one of the tag along assistant coaches who becomes mates with the players and can do that - and the way you react when you're the man running the machine..

Sounded he was close to some but neglected the group as a whole.. Lost them all in the end though..

Yeah I guess that's the difference between being one of the tag along assistant coaches who becomes mates with the players and can do that - and the way you react when you're the man running the machine..
I think thats a really salient point. As an assistant you have your own little world to focus on. The upgrade to senior coach where everything becomes your problem is obviously a transition some manage and some dont.

You are right, clause or not the extension was a huge mistake.

July/August last year I was aware of significant issues between quite a few of the players and the coach. If you dig up my first post last year I think it was along those lines.

How are people not understanding this?

He was aware of issues in July/August.

He joined up in September, and made mention of those issues.

It's not cryptic! ;)

I think thats a really salient point. As an assistant you have your own little world to focus on. The upgrade to senior coach where everything becomes your problem is obviously a transition some manage and some dont.
It's huge.. That's what I've been saying about all these mates of his and Geelong people being in disbelief.. They have no idea what he's been like at our club, they only know him as the assistant coach who gets around the group..

Totally different position, majority of senior coaches don't work out I guess.. Damn it'd be a tough job..

Sounded he was close to some but neglected the group as a whole.. Lost them all in the end though..

This is what I was trying to explain to the offended Geelong supporters who were adament that he was a great assistant coach, and that we'd made a terrible decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's huge.. That's what I've been saying about all these mates of his and Geelong people being in disbelief.. They have no idea what he's been like at our club, they only know him as the assistant coach who gets around the group..

Totally different position, majority of senior coaches don't work out I guess.. Damn it'd be a tough job..

Spot on.

Im not disagreeing with you about the sacking, just the need to air out the dirty laundry.

Sando didnt do that, when he could have easily have done that.

Sando may not have done that at the presser because it would effect his desirability as a future coach, however have you seen all the crap from his "mates" Penbo, Mooney and Harley?

Sando may not have done that at the presser because it would effect his desirability as a future coach, however have you seen all the crap from his "mates" Penbo, Mooney and Harley?

* them, who cares what they have to say?

We could easily combat it by having an AFC media stooge tip a bucket on Sando and release some of the information that's being discussed in this thread, but we don't really need to stoop to their level.

This is what I was trying to explain to the offended Geelong supporters who were adament that he was a great assistant coach, and that we'd made a terrible decision.

Look, I do agree that it must have taken something rather drastic for the Club to go ahead and sack him with still 2 years to run. Im not against the decision per se, because I strongly believe his tenure may have been questioned mid way next year if he continued to have the same results as the previous two. I just wish we moved on from it and moved forward. I am excited about potentially getting a coach then take us to the next level.

To be fair, picking through Kingy's posts can be quite hard work. I had to put him on ignore as the doctor refused to increase my dosage of Prozac.

Of course King was right though.
Look I've no issue with that. Except when people want to claim nothing was said before. If you want to take that line - go and make sure that is true first.

If you didn't like someone's thinking to the point you chose not to understand it, and then you want to say they never said it before.. that's on you to get straight. (you generally, not you specifically mate).
Sure if the person doing the 'saying' wants to be better understood it's on them to make it a more easily digested message.
I just really don't like people commenting on situations in a matter of fact way.. when they haven't got their facts straight.
If you're not sure, ask questions. If you want to act like you're sure - be right or stfu ;)

Last edited:
His existing contract didn't have clear KPI's?

What I'm asking is whether we created a highly pressurised environment where short term success took the coach's full attention rather than the needs of the club/list. An environment where the natural reaction was to bunker down, mistrust, not communicate, offer excuses, defensive, blame others rather than one where the club believes in the direction it has set and provides resources to assist.

It sounds as though people are saying there were doubts about him 9 months ago, so give him a bench mark he possibly/probably won't reach so that we are free to sack him later and can't blame media speculation over his future for any failings. Rather than the extension being based on him being seen as the man to lead us.
His existing contract was gong to end wasn't it?
So effectively a conditional extension - hit these marks and you're locked in.

I think the problem with the AFL media is that personally he seems and comes across as a genuinely decent bloke, but being that way is not necessarily a good thing when you need to communicate and make the tough calls.

People just trying to process mate - in an open air forum. If not here - where can it be discussed?

Do you believe there are two sides to the story? It would be interesting to read and hear or discuss what Sando really thought of the Club.

I would be more interested in that then what people think of him now given he is sacked. Im not against the discussion per se, but that there is also a flip side that no one is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back