Brownlow Medal 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

An Eagles supporter I know would be cheering right now.

user_13557_XW5BRMLX.jpg

So let me get this straight: according to the umpires, Patrick Dangerfield had a season that was 50% better than Robbie Gray? What games were they watching?????

The theory about polling well in your second elite year running is looking pretty sound. Boak was underwhelming last year, right in the mix this year. Same will happen for Gray if his form continues. Umps are influenced by reputation and hype like everyone else.

Not so sure about that. Straight after the victory there was a bunch of "Woewoedis" type comments aimed at Priddis. It's ancient history now, and you are correct, plenty of positives coming out now regarding him.
Come to think of that I did see one like that. There is a slight similarity in that both are workmanlike players but Woewodin was never brilliant and in the games he played was never really deserving of all the votes he won, while Priddis was deserving of his votes.

Stevic, mcinerney, Margetts, chamberlain....just some of the names responsible for voting in the brownlow. Let that sink in.
Yup, couldnt have said it better myself.

Its these same guys that cant see Hombsch be pushed in the back by buddy, can hear the 'siren' when it hasnt been blown, cant see whether a ball has been touched before the line when they are standing in the perfect position and are less than 2 *in metres away.

The only one stupider than them is me for actually believing these muppets might be able to recognise a players abilities on actual performance of deeds rather than being influenced by media hype.

Congrats to Priddis, i didnt see every game he played but i'm sure he had a very good consistent year.

But i'll be ****ed trying to understand how guys like Robbie Gray and Jordan Lewis seem to poll so poorly.

umpires..... what a joke.

1 best on ground for robbie. 1. dominated all year, but only 1 bog.......

number 9, the bloke with the ball, his name is gray you blind campaigners.

Gray knows how to win a game, get the ball and distribute it as quick as possible to a player in the best position. Unlike Dangermouse who knows how to play but prefers to dazzle umpires by holding onto the ball and more often than not wasting it. However the umps always think that is someone elses fault. That was probably why the cows got rid of Sando, he wanted to keep Dangermouse away from the playa bit more and the officials knew the fans wouldn't like it.

The Brownlow is the Brownlow. It's a fantastic award steeped in tradition but shouldn't be taken as the ultimate judgement on a player's season or overall worth. Robbie had an outstanding season but plays 50/50 midfield/forward. Boaky is around the contest for the majority of the game so is under the nose of the umpires a lot more. I haven't got the stats but I bet Robbie had a lot of games where he only got 3-4 touches in one quarter and then had 15 and 2 goals in the next - that really counts against you in the Brownlow, you've got to be a consistent ball winner.

As for the winner, good on Matty Priddis, he is clearly a guy who has had to fight for everything he has achieved and works really hard week in week out. Is he classic Brownlow medalist quality? Probably not. He is basically the best of an average to poor midfield group so attracts all of the votes and attention when his team wins. You could probably mount a good argument that he wouldn't be a best 22 player at Port. But that's the beauty of the award - sometimes it doesn't make sense but you still deify the winner all the same.

Stevic, mcinerney, Margetts, chamberlain....just some of the names responsible for voting in the brownlow. Let that sink in.

Definitely a worry. Especially since the umps already have their hands full as it is. Hence the voting howlers.

Reckon the move to have the votes given by neutral judges in the stands gains more currency every year. Of course, that wouldn't be perfect, either. And it would be a worry if the media elbowed their way into it.

Just did a quick look online and there's a-lot of derision and scorn out there for the Brownlow. Channel 7's appalling coverage only plays up the bad joke. It was like watching a low-rent Golden Globes.

Hell, even the Logies had more class...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 81794 how does this bloke still not have a missus? just strolling through the comments and the amount of middle age woman losing their panties over him is crazy haha
Mate, I know for a fact that he doesn't have a missus by choice. Gets more touches out around town than he does on a tag free footy game.

The theory about polling well in your second elite year running is looking pretty sound. Boak was underwhelming last year, right in the mix this year. Same will happen for Gray if his form continues. Umps are influenced by reputation and hype like everyone else.
Well I don't know what the answer is, but surely there has to be a way of ensuring that a superstar like Robbie Gray finishes less than 12 points behind a bloke who couldn't even make the All Australian squad!!!!!

How he didn't get a single vote from the Melbourne win at Ellis Sprengs (28D/6C/1GA/1G), win at home to the Dogs (30D/1GA/2G) or the loss to the Cam[ry]paigners (33D/10C/1G) while certain other plodders racked up votes for sneezing is beyond me.

When Gray won the coaches' award I said that meant he didn't have a hope in the Brownlow. Sometimes I hate being right. :oops:

#graypride #travisboat

That fact that Dangerwince polled so high shows how much the umpires are influenced by the media hype around certain players. :thumbsdown:

Really happy for Priddis winning the brownlow, I looked at the WC board midway through the year and couldn't believe the rubbish they were writing about him considering he seems to be their only player that gives 100% every week.
He is a very good inside contested ball winner and positions himself very well to extract the ball and get it outside.
Glad it wasn't Selwood, buddy or Dangerfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back