Mega Thread Congratulations Matt Priddis

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, I want to start my post off saying Priddis is a worthy winner, however unlikely, and will not be remembered in years to come as a Wowoedin.

BUT

I do think he 'Bradbury''d this year. Ablett was the clear winner til his injury, and up until Fyfe whacked Lewis, he was also a deserving winner (bar s**t MRP rules). Buddy also has more claim to the Brownlow.

And secondly, I think Fyfe still should have got most votes. The last round was Fyfe 25 Priddis 24, with Kennedy (8 goals), LeCras (20 disposals, 4 goals), Shuey (27 disposals, 9 clearances, 1 goal) were all better. Not that it matters as Priddis wins anyway, but it bothered me. Priddis was not 2nd BOG in that game. If I was being nitpicky, I would give him 2 v Pies, but even then he still gets 23 (ahead of Gaz) and so winner winner chicken dinner.

Humble, genuine man too. Good on him. I swear I can remember talks that Priddis used to say to WC basically that as long as they were fair and good to him, he'd stay - that's worth a lot in my books. Not driving up his price by getting rumours talked about leaving etc.
Already seeing some conspiracy theories about the gap between reading the votes in the 22nd to 23rd rounds and whether there was a late change to rid everyone of the awkwardness of Fyfe having the most votes.

Would be carlton's best and most consistent midfielder. Don't kid yourself if he was victorian and wasn't such a quiet achiever he would have been getting praise for years.

You avoided the question so I will repeat it in a very specific way for you:

Would you replace your best midfielder (I'm guessing you would think that Boomer is your best midfielder) with priddis?
(keep in mind that Priddis is now supposedly a worthy brownlow medallist, meaning he was the best player in 2014 and because of that title should be one of the most chased players in the league)

Just catching up with the news. This is truly LOL stuff.

I actually rate Priddis as a good solid player who has had a good year. Unlike many, I really do rate him, but he's no 'best player of the year'.

If ever you wanted proof this award is a powder puff of a thing, this is it.

Time for the media to start raising the profile of the AFLCA award so we can start enjoying a far more credible MVP award system which is worthy of the game overall.

******* lol :D:D:D:D

He finished =5th in that.

Ok, so breaking down using the AFLCA MVP as an indicator for the Brownlow.

2nd place Nat Fyfe could not win the Brownlow.

When you consider Kennedy and Franklin were 3rd and 4th were competing for Brownlow votes with Parker (10th), Hannebery, McVeigh, McGlynn, Jack...unlikely they were going to win. Easier to get votes in AFLCA (5-4-3-2-1 x2) than Brownlow (3-2-1). Most people had them approx 20, and they polled approx 20. So take them out as likely winners.

Leaving with Robbie Gray (1st) and Gary Ablett and Scott Pendlebury (=5th).

Take out Scott Pendlebury as a Brownlow candidate, plenty were arguing his spot in the AA side.

So leaves Robbie Gray (1st) and Gary Ablett (=5th) who were likely to do well in both the AFLCA MVP and Brownlow.

Basically, what I am saying is that you are an idiot, because based on the AFLCA award, Priddis would have been a good shot to finish top 3. Gray underpolled. Top 2. Bang. You're an idiot.

Would you replace your best midfielder (I'm guessing you would think that Boomer is your best midfielder) with priddis?
(keep in mind that Priddis is now supposedly a worthy brownlow medallist, meaning he was the best player in 2014 and because of that title should be one of the most chased players in the league)

:rolleyes::drunk:

How did Priddis poll 2 votes in that last game? Lecras kicked 4 and had 20 touches.

Brad Hill got a vote against us in round 21 for having 13 disposals and playing poorly while Fyfe polled 0 for having 24 touches and kicking two goals. The mind boggles.

AFL Coaches Association Final Leaderboard
111 Robbie Gray (Port Adelaide)
95 Nathan Fyfe (Fremantle)
83 Josh Kennedy (Sydney)
80 Lance Franklin (Sydney)
72 Gary Ablett (Gold Coast)
72 Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)
72 Matthew Priddis (West Coast)
70 Dyson Heppell (Essendon)
68 Joel Selwood (Geelong)
66 Jordan Lewis (Hawthorn)
66 Luke Parker (Sydney)

2014 Umpires' Brownlow Winner

Nuff said.
So wait, he finished equal 5th and one of those players wasn't eligible?

Would Selwood have winning been considered a Bradbury effort, or how about Boak who isn't even top 10?

No I wouldn't but carlton should consider it they lack consistent hardworking inside players big time

Already seeing some conspiracy theories about the gap between reading the votes in the 22nd to 23rd rounds and whether there was a late change to rid everyone of the awkwardness of Fyfe having the most votes.

Probably feels better for Matt than being given the medal for best&fairest rather than 2ndbest&fairest.

Look, I probably don't buy into it, there have been plenty of s**t votes before (even this year, 3. L.Hansen 2. G.Ablett, and Jay Schulz 1 vote for kicking 4 goals in #junktime, when he had 7 disposals and 2 goals to 3/4 time) but yeah it did bother me.

Shows that you don't have to be quick, be able to play inside and outside, kick many goals or be able to kick the ball in order to win a Brownlow ;)

In all seriousness though, congrats to Priddis. Underrated player for a long time, deserves some recognition. Even if you don't agree with him winning the prestigious award, show him some respect.

How convenient that Priddis gets exactly the 2 votes required to just squeak by Fyfe resulting in the AF;L not having to deal with the embarrassment of a unfairly suspended player winning the award.

I would have agreed with Fyfe being suspended if every other good player (Ablett, etc) also got suspended for their dog acts.

Would any of you right this very second agree to replace your best midfielder with Priddis? Would any of you agree to replace your second best midfielder with Priddis? Third?

If any of you answer no to the above questions, then just take a second to appreciate that the supposedly best player in 2014 is not even worthy of being traded into your team. HA.

And another one misses the point of the award and what it's for...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So wait, he finished equal 5th and one of those players wasn't eligible?

Would Selwood have winning been considered a Bradbury effort, or how about Boak who isn't even top 10?

I love it I love it I love it.

It being people claiming the AFLCA MVP is a superior award.

The award where coaches could easily rig it if they felt fit? The award which is voted by emotionally wrecked/distraught people (Clarkson punching walls, Scott brothers screaming and talking about roofs and what not), or more likely, handed over to assistant coaches (hence taking away some of the prestige)? The award that theoretically could have 10 different players poll in a game.

The Brownlow and AFLCA MVP have their good and bad sides. Very very rarely does a player not worthy win either. This year, winners of both are worthy.

Yep the Brownlow is a dumb award. Only six or seven people on each team are actually eligible. And it's chosen by umpires. The people who are supposed to be stopping people breaking the rules. Do they really have time to judge who's having the biggest impact on the contest, or do they just vote on the people who get in their vision the most? Like midfielders. Or do they stop watching for infringements and cast their eye around the field and think, 'who's having a blinder today?'

Despite or because of all that, it's great to see Priddis win. He carried the Eagles midfield for most of the year, he makes the All-Australian judges selectors look like idiots, ditto every football pundit, and he's an ex-rookie. A win all round.

West Coast fans if you told them at the start of the year that Priddis would be the brownlow medallist

6a00d8341c76e453ef016763b5028a970b-pi

Very nitpicky, Priddis laid 7 tackles, the most on the ground, and got recognition for that grunt work of causing opposition turnovers.

Robin Nahas lays tackles. Tackles are an overrated stat imo. I don't see why we have all these context about disposals (kicks, handballs, long kicks, meters gained, short kicks, effective kicks, clangers etc) and marks (contested, uncontested, inside 50, from opposition disposals), but tackles is just tackles (maybe we get tackles inside 50?)..

Doesn't matter either way, and yes I was being nitpicky, in a thread intended to congratulate Priddis, so I'll move on, with my last words being well done Priddis.

I'm sure it's been mentioned but when was the last time a Brownlow winner didn't make the AA side? Is he the first?

No I wouldn't but carlton should consider it they lack consistent hardworking inside players big time

Its true with lack the consistent inside players required to be a strong team, but even knowing that I would nOT trade anyone in our midfield for Priddis. Seriously.

Now lets review shall we:

How on earth can a player that no one rates highly enough to trade their best mid for, end up winning an award that names him as the best player in 2014.
How farcical that a player who wins the brownlow in 2014 is not considered to be the most valued player by nearly all clubs, meaning that they would not trade something valuable for him let alone their best mid.

Now if Buddy was available, or Ablett, or Fyfe, or Selwood, or Gray, or Boak, or even Dangerfield, I would be hoping like mad that my club gave up everything they could to get one of those players to join our team.
See the difference?

Feel sorry for the bloke, genuinely looked and spoke like a guy who was humbled to be where he was.

I've never seen a player cop as much indirect criticism as Matt Priddis. It's not his fault West Coast have no other good midfielders and keep playing him on the ball all game every game. It's not his fault the umpires kept giving him votes. He just keeps on playing footy to the best of his ability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back