Mega Thread Congratulations Matt Priddis

Apr 30, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
MUFC, Golden State Warriors
The Priddis hate is expected. But let's be honest the Brownlow isn't based on ability. It's based on consistent impact over the season. Yes he's unsightly and doesn't have elite attributes but he impacts games over and over. Sure other players can burst out of a pack and kick a goal from 50, but if they go missing throughout the season that's their own fault.

Only Ablett was more consistent this season.
Cannot agree. You can win a brownlow by playing 8-9 blinders and 13-14 dud games.

carlton2dabone

Premiership Player
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I ask these question because even though Fyfe was ineligible to win, Pridis somehow was awarded more
The Priddis hate is expected. But let's be honest the Brownlow isn't based on ability. It's based on consistent impact over the season. Yes he's unsightly and doesn't have elite attributes but he impacts games over and over. Sure other players can burst out of a pack and kick a goal from 50, but if they go missing throughout the season that's their own fault.

What about requiring the best player in 2014 to be able to have good disposal, good enough disposal to be able to hurt the opposition team with all the possessions that he gets instead of getting those possessions and turning most of them over to the opposition?

You don't think that should be a requirement for being named a brownlow medallist?

wcesam

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I ask these question because even though Fyfe was ineligible to win, Pridis somehow was awarded more

What about requiring the best player in 2014 to be able to have good disposal, good enough disposal to be able to hurt the opposition team with all the possessions that he gets instead of getting those possessions and turning most of them over to the opposition?

You don't think that should be a requirement for being named a brownlow medallist?

Does he turn most of his possessions over to the opposition champ? He sure does a good job of hiding it!

Do I think that hurting the opposition with every possession should be a requirement for a Brownlow? No, because then not even the great G.Ablett would be eligible.

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers

Impacts games over and over? Overreaching I think. He can win clearances and contested ball but he seems to hand it back to the opposition quite a bit, and in terms of scoreboard impact, his impact is fairly negligible from what I've seen.

RedLegs#5

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos,Wallabies, Glenn McGrath.
I don't know why everyone cares so much about the umpires award. People spend all year abusing the umpires, then come this night, suddenly their opinions are incredibly important. It baffles me.

In saying that, good on Priddis. A great story of someone overcoming rejection and immense scrutiny.

Last edited:

moses

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Home
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Feel sorry for the bloke, genuinely looked and spoke like a guy who was humbled to be where he was.

I've never seen a player cop as much indirect criticism as Matt Priddis. It's not his fault West Coast have no other good midfielders and keep playing him on the ball all game every game. It's not his fault the umpires kept giving him votes. He just keeps on playing footy to the best of his ability.
Great post. Sums it up for me. Well done Priddis, came into the AFL the hard way and now have the too individual honour. Hope you celebrate with a proud family and club.

Sent from my XT905 using Tapatalk

Men of Steele

Team Captain
Dec 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know his disposal doesn't have great length to it and he does not carry the ball far but he gets first possesions often and nearly always gives it to someone with the same coloured jumper on as him which in this day and age should be more highly valued. No one ever picks him up and he gets it 30 times a match and has heaps of tackles. He absolutly torched Collingwod late in the year, had 40 that day and they still refused to pick him up. People want everyone to be this and that and always highlight things they have not got. Finding footballers faults is like a sport for some instead of accepting them for what they are. Too slow too short. Who cares. Sandover Medal. Rookie List. Most votes wins. Matt Priddis is a very good footballer. Well done.

Coxy_

Sexy Coxy
Aug 23, 2011
Williamstown
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coach
Probably feels better for Matt than being given the medal for best&fairest rather than 2ndbest&fairest.

Look, I probably don't buy into it, there have been plenty of s**t votes before (even this year, 3. L.Hansen 2. G.Ablett, and Jay Schulz 1 vote for kicking 4 goals in #junktime, when he had 7 disposals and 2 goals to 3/4 time) but yeah it did bother me.

Does the last quarter not count? Schulz's 4 goals put GWS' comeback to bed.

But that doesn't happen.
You've pretty much made that up in your head.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
This win reminds me of Paul Kelly in 1995.

Now everyone remembers Paul Kelly as a champion and rightly so…but in 1995 he was no where near Brownlow favourite - definitely a shock win - he was considered a really good player in a terrible side that had started to get their s**t together thanks to Lockett, Roos and Barrassi. He was a first time AA in 95 (like Priddis should have been this year) but didn't win his club B&F.

He then went onto 'justify' his Brownlow as his profile grew and played his best football in 96 and 97.

Could say the same about Gavin Wanganeen too, absolute shock win (also not B&F if I recall correctly).

Both were younger and much less experienced than Priddis when they won, but both went on to play their best footy after winning the medal.

Will be interesting to see if Priddis can do the same.

shiva25

The Frisk
Apr 19, 2002
Shyte Creek
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
LIONS / LIVERPOOL

He might not have good disposal but thats not the be all and end of of twhats required to win a brownlow. He knows his limitations and at least put its in the hands of someone who can dispose of it better which is why he handballs a lot. He had the most possesions of any other player this season but the stats that matter are the ones he excelled in. 2nd overall in clearances, 3rd overall for tackles and the the most important stat of all contested possesions he was 3rd best in. Even some of the elite players in the comp wernt able to better that

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Impacts games over and over? Overreaching I think. He can win clearances and contested ball but he seems to hand it back to the opposition quite a bit, and in terms of scoreboard impact, his impact is fairly negligible from what I've seen.

He actually kicks his fair share of goals as a mid but it's his contested ball/clearance work where he stands out, I've seen him keep West Coast in games in recent years when they would've been blown away without him in the trenches.

He was lucky to win a Brownlow tonight but he's not as undeserving as some people are making out.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
The Brownlow has been tainted with questions and bemusement.

Mostly by people who don't seem to understand the nature of the award. Go back over history and you will find a number of winners who weren't the "best" in their year but were still worth winners who had good seasons. Does anyone really think Kelly was better than Carey in 95? That Wanganeen was better in 93' than Ablett or Williams; or Wynd better than Dunstall in 92'? Some people need to wake up to themselves IMO and learn to take this award for what it is rather than whinging every year the winner isn't Mr Obvious.

And personally, I love that the award recognises a guy like Priddis instead of spewing up the same generic names and opinions that media and punters like to promote. It is it's own award with its own character and I hope it never changes.

Bulldocker

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WB,Claremont,Seahawks,Canucks
I just don't get the acrimony here.
If you're all honest enough about when your teams have played the eagirls, at some stage you will be cursing your own inside mids for not being able to prise the ball away from stoppages because that bloody Priddis keeps getting hold of it.... time and time again and then shuffling it out to their downhill skiers like Gaff and Masten. This perception that he just roams around doing little more than accumulating awful disposal efficiency is without basis in recent years.

FFS! Credit where it is due. He is a clearance machine and without him they would barely ever get the pill out of the middle despite the rucks they have.

Most opposition teams don't tag him - not because they don't realise his ability to get the ball and move it on to a teammate but more so it is recognised that those previously mentioned outside players are a whole lot easier to round up when the pressure goes on.

Well done Priddis :thumbsu:

I'm not a hater cause I don't hate Priddis by any means. I just don't think he's the greatest player in the competititon.

I mean, I love my mum and think she's pretty special at times. But is she the greatest mum in world? Hell no, too many flaws.

She does work hard though, so if she keeps her head down and keeps being a mum she may win the Greatest Mum in the World Award. Apparently that's how things work these days. Especially if she moves next door to the judges.

The Brownlow has never been an award for the greatest player in the competition.

It's voted by the umpires for the Fairest and best player in each individual game. The player who they choose as fitting this criteria most times in a season wins.

There are very few years where people don't argue that someone was more worthy.

Some of the very best players ever to play the game never won this award.

Priddis not being the greatest player in the game doesn't diminish his achievement.

Back