Mega Thread Congratulations Matt Priddis

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't get the acrimony here.
If you're all honest enough about when your teams have played the eagirls, at some stage you will be cursing your own inside mids for not being able to prise the ball away from stoppages because that bloody Priddis keeps getting hold of it.... time and time again and then shuffling it out to their downhill skiers like Gaff and Masten. This perception that he just roams around doing little more than accumulating awful disposal efficiency is without basis in recent years.

FFS! Credit where it is due. He is a clearance machine and without him they would barely ever get the pill out of the middle despite the rucks they have.

Most opposition teams don't tag him - not because they don't realise his ability to get the ball and move it on to a teammate but more so it is recognised that those previously mentioned outside players are a whole lot easier to round up when the pressure goes on.

Well done Priddis :thumbsu:
spot on.

i'm stoked for Priddis, tbh. seems like a real good bloke.

What a farce, most unskilled player to ever win

Dipper?

Scott Wynd?

Brian Wilson?

Paul Kelly?

None of those players were exceptionally skilled.

Didn't Priddis have more possessions than any other player? That has to count for something. If you can win the ball, it makes up for a perceived lack of skill. Hell, winning the ball is the most important aspect of the game. Priddis is miles better than Woewodin.

******* lol :D:D:D:D

He finished =5th in that.

Ok, so breaking down using the AFLCA MVP as an indicator for the Brownlow.

2nd place Nat Fyfe could not win the Brownlow.

When you consider Kennedy and Franklin were 3rd and 4th were competing for Brownlow votes with Parker (10th), Hannebery, McVeigh, McGlynn, Jack...unlikely they were going to win. Easier to get votes in AFLCA (5-4-3-2-1 x2) than Brownlow (3-2-1). Most people had them approx 20, and they polled approx 20. So take them out as likely winners.

Leaving with Robbie Gray (1st) and Gary Ablett and Scott Pendlebury (=5th).

Take out Scott Pendlebury as a Brownlow candidate, plenty were arguing his spot in the AA side.

So leaves Robbie Gray (1st) and Gary Ablett (=5th) who were likely to do well in both the AFLCA MVP and Brownlow.

Basically, what I am saying is that you are an idiot, because based on the AFLCA award, Priddis would have been a good shot to finish top 3. Gray underpolled. Top 2. Bang. You're an idiot.

Bravo, hope you feel good about yourself. Now let me nuance things a bit if you're going to be tool about it so you can get my position right.

From your little histrionics there, you're implying that I think the AFLCA is a good indicator of the Brownlow winner. That is not what I'm saying at all. I'm suggesting that the AFLCA (which is flawed itself of course), is a better indicator of a the season's premier or most valued player than the Brownlow. That the AFLCA would be a viable predictor of where Priddis would finish in the Brownlow award does nothing to give one or the other credibility really. What I think you're really trying to say is that they are essentially equivalent. Obviously most mutually exclusive award systems (like the AFLCA and Browlow are for example) are going to have similar names getting near the top of their lists, but that doesn't diminish the flaws that are particular to the Brownlow system.

Admittedly what I said in the post you quoted might imply that I rate the AFLCA award as THE best individual award system. Rather I'm suggesting that it's better than the Brownlow which is flawed in a number of ways, the two main ways being 1) the limited 3-1 voting system and 2) the fact that that the umpires are the sole arbiters of it.

Secondly, I'm not saying Pridis is that bad a player, I'm not even saying he doesn't deserves to be considered among the better players in the comp in some people's minds. I can see how some people might come to that conclusion either by an arbitrary mathematical system (like Brownlow, AFLCA etc.) or by vague opinionating. Great, no problem with that.

FWIW, I don't see him near the best player in the league, but I do rate him, I just don't rate the award itself as an indicator of the foremost player in the league.

Essentially all I'm saying that the Brownlow is afforded way too much credibility given the nature of the sport and the way the voting system works, Pridis winning it gives you a window into why I think that. They (the media, fans etc.) would do better to latch onto another system, the AFLCA being one alternative that, though no doubt flawed, is nonetheless better as indicating best player of the year.

tl;dr:

Despite your mathematical back-flips, Pridis didn't win the AFLCA award though didn't he? Sure he had a great year, lots of good games and in an average side that will stand out which draws votes in any mutually exclusive voting system, but to have topped the AFLCA he would have had to have had equivalent to 4 more unanimous BOG games, so he wasn't that close all considered.

Both the Brownlow and the AFLCA are flawed in some ways as indicating a seasons' best player, but the former is more heavily flawed and the fact that Pridis can top the Brownlow list is an illustration of that. Not a categorical empirical one, just an illustration.

Last edited:

Alot of the posters in this thread sum up bigfooty at its worst. Priddis is not the most skilled player in the competition, thats a fact. However, he is easily one of the hardest working - if the rest of the Eagles worked as hard as they did they would be placing off in their third straight Premiership. He is what... third for tackles? gets alot of the ball, wills himself into contests, etc etc. Not to mention, he is the most humble guy to win it since Bartel. Seriously, here is a decent hard working individual here who wins it and all many can do is just criticise.

Mostly by people who don't seem to understand the nature of the award. Go back over history and you will find a number of winners who weren't the "best" in their year but were still worth winners who had good seasons. Does anyone really think Kelly was better than Carey in 95? That Wanganeen was better in 93' than Ablett or Williams; or Wynd better than Dunstall in 92'? Some people need to wake up to themselves IMO and learn to take this award for what it is rather than whinging every year the winner isn't Mr Obvious.

And personally, I love that the award recognises a guy like Priddis instead of spewing up the same generic names and opinions that media and punters like to promote. It is it's own award with its own character and I hope it never changes.

Yeah, good post. Like it.

The problem is, as I've done myself, that people think it's a 'best player award' and in fairness it's presented that way - in reality it's too peculiar a system for it to ever be that award strictly speaking (forgetting the bigger question of how do you pull out an individual focused award in such a team orientated sport anyway).

Is it's own thing, I bemoan it myself, but I think only because it's portrayed as something that it's not. Be good if the media hype could capture that idea of what you're saying I suppose, but if they did, would it still hold it's station in the footy public's mindset?

He still hasn't forgotten his WAFL Subi roots even in his moment of glory.

Priddis said his victory had already been the subject of delight at his former WAFL club Subiaco, which is celebrating a premiership.
"It's fantastic. My phone's been running hot. They're on their Mad Monday down at the 'Paddo' [Paddington Ale House]," he said. "It's really good for the Subiaco footy club. They were instrumental in helping me get into the AFL and realise a childhood dream."

Such a humble champion.

#keepingitreal

Last edited:
Well done Priddis!! Not the most skilled player, but consistent week in week out.

Wowoedin was a worthy winner at the time he won, but then spent the rest of his career doing jack, which is why he is deemed the worst ever winner. Priddis has shown the same tenacity and effort throughout his career and I'm sure he will continue in this vein next year. Perhaps if he had been picked up earlier in his career, his skills may have had a chance to improve. If some of the other mids in our team put the same shift in each time, we would be a much, much better team.

Well done Priddis!! Not the most skilled player, but consistent week in week out.

Wowoedin was a worthy winner at the time he won, but then spent the rest of his career doing jack, which is why he is deemed the worst ever winner. Priddis has shown the same tenacity and effort throughout his career and I'm sure he will continue in this vein next year. Perhaps if he had been picked up earlier in his career, his skills may have had a chance to improve. If some of the other mids in our team put the same shift in each time, we would be a much, much better team.

Priddis is a far better player then Woewodin. The same won't happen to him

Good on him, the award is for the best and fairest - while he might not be the best in the competition, as long as he is good enough to poll the 3 votes it doesn't matter with this award.

On the AA selection.. come on now there are always a handful of players unlucky to make it and this year is no different.

I'm not at all unhappy about Priddis winning it. A bit surprised that an Ablett/Judd/Buddy type didn't win it. But on the whole very happy for the man.
Consistent, hard working, humble, as shocked as anyone that he won it.
Anyone who has actually tried playing footy would know how hard it is to get on the end of it like he does, and then do something positive with it while under a shirtload of pressure.

Also I agree with the previous Soul Glo comments.

Some of the comments levelled here towards Priddis are just appalling.

There sure are some jealous failures around here.

I would take a bloke like Priddis in a heartbeat at the Giants because not only is he a class player, he also espouses all the values of hard work, determination, and unselfishness that you look for in a person.

The supposed West Coast fans whacking him on the day he's finally recognised should be truly ashamed!

Would hate to be in the trenches with you pri*ks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the comments levelled here towards Priddis are just appalling.

There sure are some jealous failures around here.

I would take a bloke like Priddis in a heartbeat at the Giants because not only is he a class player, he also espouses all the values of hard work, determination, and unselfishness that you look for in a person.

The supposed West Coast fans whacking him on the day he's finally recognised should be truly ashamed!

Would hate to be in the trenches with you pri*ks.

Yup.
I have long admired him.
I'd take an honest hard working player any day.

Couldn't be more pleased that this award still recognises a player having a consistent year, regardless of their name or pay.

Congratulations to him.

I think people will find that the detractors he had this season ate huge slices of humble pie this year based on what he was able to achieve. Sad thing here is that people are judging the merits of Priddis Brownlow win over his career as opposed to what he did this season. When you look at what he did this season he was definetly in the top 5 players.

In the end he won the award because he had 1 attribute no one else had. 23 consistent games of AFL football. If Boak, Selwood want to win a Brownlow they need to learn to break the tag. If Fyfe wants to win the Brownlow he needs to play 23 games and not 19 after knocking people out.

Priddis didnt win the Brownlow because he is the shining light. He won because he is the constant flickering for his team. He polled in 13 games and in reality his stats prove him worthy of that type of polling.

BBcZuuH.png

Krusty's Accountant: Let me get this straight. You took all the money you made franchising your name and bet it *against* Gary Ablett?
Krusty the Clown: [miserable] Oh, I thought Joel Selwood was due!
[watches the Brownlow on TV]
Krusty the Clown: He's been injured for six weeks Just take it! Take the Brownlow
[Matt Priddis wins]
Krusty the Clown: That Brownlow was fixed! That guy didnt even make the freakin' AA team, for God's sake!

Sounds like a good bloke

Better then that idiot Dangerfield carrying on like a douche

Didn't he, that interview before round 23 was pathetic .

Well done to Priddis and thank god he got those final 2 votes.

Robin Nahas lays tackles. Tackles are an overrated stat imo. I don't see why we have all these context about disposals (kicks, handballs, long kicks, meters gained, short kicks, effective kicks, clangers etc) and marks (contested, uncontested, inside 50, from opposition disposals), but tackles is just tackles (maybe we get tackles inside 50?)..

Doesn't matter either way, and yes I was being nitpicky, in a thread intended to congratulate Priddis, so I'll move on, with my last words being well done Priddis.
There's a reason that it's rated as the most important team stat by the best coaches in the business imo, but who really knows.

well done matty! severely underrated player, has been consistently amongst the best inside mids in the comp for several years now - glad he finally gets recognition for doing what he's been doing week in week out year in year out. Very happy to see him win it

I have known the brownlow was a joke since:

1) Judd won in 2010 because Chris Judd, robbing Swan of a brownlow.

2) The very next year Swan apparently had the best season of any player ever (even though he performed better the year before) to win the brownlow.

Clearly the umpires are influenced by media and "star power".

Well done to Priddis though, the stats show he probably deserved on consistency alone once you take Fyfe and Ablett out. I can think of worse people to win it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back