How much longer can Priddis be debated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to Priddis, well deserved reward, champion player and bloke.
I had a quick look over the thread and I'm staggered there is such division on one individual. he is one player in a team of 22, not sure how he can be singled out with such disdain by some.
A gutsy second post :eek: Jump right in why don't ya :D

Stats - one of the highest champion data ppg mids in 2014 - check

Umpires - 2014 Brownlow medallist - check

Coaches - Top 5 AFLCA in 2014 - check

Peers - Not sure where he placed in the AFLPA but a few team mates and opposition players have said they rate ol Pridda - check

AA - made the 40 man squad and (likely) just missed out, quite a few phantom sides had him in there - check

Media - generally gets a lot of positive comments from most of the media - check

Some WCE posters - consistently identified as a flog that can't kick, has no place in the team, should be dropped, eats babies, etc - NOT checked

There you have it, Pridda is a horrible, horrible player. :(

Nope, nope and nope for the bold.

Never been identified as the comps best player, never made the AA team, and is merely regarded in passing well below the games best players.

Let's close this thread and walk off into the sunset knowing priddis beat this thread !!!

Only way Priddis beats this thread is if he takes a flag. Team success is ultimate, everything else seems rather subjective.

Only way Priddis beats this thread is if he takes a flag. Team success is ultimate, everything else seems rather subjective.

All this criticism but I don't see any of the other mids having a massive impact on the game? The biggest issue the club has isn't Priddis it's who replaces him in a few years that can collect that much ball?

This thread is absolute gold and just confirms why he shouldn't have won the brownlow.

He looked like Messi when he was on the stage, only thing Messi has achieved something.

I don't know why people put out stats without context, when his impact on the game is 0. He is in the same category as Tom RockCliff who never gets the tag because he doesn't damage the opponent.

As to being dropped, that harsh because he does his role in the team and frees up others.

As to being dropped, that harsh because he does his role in the team and frees up others.

Thats why he will never be dropped. He plays his role. Even though he has won the charlie, I dont think oppositions will treat him any differently on game day unless he develops some legs in the pre-season.

All this criticism but I don't see any of the other mids having a massive impact on the game? The biggest issue the club has isn't Priddis it's who replaces him in a few years that can collect that much ball?

I don't think you get the point, it's not criticism it's merely a critique of our teams failings. Good teams spread the load through the midfield, not because it's in vogue but because it actually works in getting fresh legs to contests when they matter and the ability to do something constructive if they don't get to that contest to impact it. To spread the midfield load like so you need players that give you such capacity.

Apart from Shuey? who's influence is fleeting at best none of our midfielders impact games. Priddis matched Shuey this year, with some big games this side of mid season but that's a career first for him.

In terms of replacing Priddis does it really matter that much? The hole on the inside will be filled when Priddis leaves probably by Yeo at the moment.

I mean a decade with no true on field success is moving upon us. Change is coming irrespective of how one rates Priddis. He's moving on in age and will retire in the next 2-4 years. If what lies before us is worse than what has laid behind us over the last seven years then we're in for a tough time.

I don't think you get the point, it's not criticism it's merely a critique of our teams failings. Good teams spread the load through the midfield, not because it's in vogue but because it actually works in getting fresh legs to contests when they matter and the ability to do something constructive if they don't get to that contest to impact it. To spread the midfield load like so you need players that give you such capacity.

Apart from Shuey? who's influence is fleeting at best none of our midfielders impact games. Priddis matched Shuey this year, with some big games this side of mid season but that's a career first for him.

In terms of replacing Priddis does it really matter that much? I mean a decade with no true on field success is moving upon us. Change is coming irrespective of how one rates Priddis. He's moving on in age and will retire in the next 2-4 years. If what lies before us is worse than what has laid behind us over the last seven years then we're in for a tough time.

At the end of the day it really isn't a difficult game. Its all about putting the right guys on the ball that can handle the physical and mental challenges of winning the ball and moving it on to advantage. These guys don't have to be super stars they just have to shoulder the load as you say. I think at the minute we have 2 solid contributors in Priddis and Shuey and the others are simply not suited to their midfield duties. We need guys with two really important baseline attributes, footy smarts and awareness. The rest can be developed into a player and at the minute we have maybe two mids in Yeo and Shuey that are even close to exhibiting these traits. I really hope we aren't in the same position in another 2-3 years and we go hard at the trade table/draft to get what we desperately need.

Yes he was in the umps view cos he won the award
Technically those other players on paper prob would be better on any or most given day but they weren't as consistent due to injury or quiet spells etc but that's the way the cookie crumbles it's awarded over the whole year. If it was just a literal best and fairest award of course ablett would only have to play 1 game to be entitled but since it's based on an amalgamation of all games luck plays a part as does consistency so if the mindless twit umpires give it to you stand proud and enjoy the glory why not you still did what was required to earn it. Every one knows it doesn't mean you are the best skilled player in the comp just the most noticed the most often and lucky enough not to be a key position player, a tagger , hated by umpires or rubbed out. Eg do more brownlow votes to Fyfe than buddy mean he's a better footballer or just different roles get more votes? Common knowledge.

+1. As others have said, the award has little bearing on whether we should continue playing him, but just like Richmond deserved their finals spot this year (for all it got them) over us because of a missed kick or two, Priddis also deserves the win. It's quite outside the whole "debate" which takes up most of this thread.

Simpson himself:
"It's just reward, not just for this year but the years before and we're just so proud of him as a club.
"It’s not just a year out of the blue, it's 10-plus years of continuous effort."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was absolutely loathed to write anything negative about this fabulous win. (Anyone who reads my posts knows I have no problem writing negative crap)

But to all the anti Priddis brigade, it's time you stopped embarrassing yourselves. You lost and you lost bad. Its just sad you still don't know how badly you lost. The brownlow win itself proves little sure. But anyone who is even remotely familiar with the history and arguments against Priddis and does not have a delusional based agenda realises this result OBLITERATES any negative thought. Stick to your 2 or 3 reasonable negative arguments against the absolute plethora of evidence that supports the opposite.

To all the 'real' WC supporters (and it's not blind faith) who have had to endure ' that' thread and ' those' supporters I hope you are as happy as I am. There is a big difference between opinion and blind sheep like hate.
I wouldn't even wish 'those' supporters on my least favourite club. It's at times been cringeworthy to support this great club just because you might get lumped in with 'anti Priddis' brigade. Not interested in any slanging match.

We'll done Matt, I am absolutely rapt for you.

never understood how someone who has obvious talent and 'busts a gut' every game is our most criticised player. You really don't understand football if you think disposal effiency is the only criteria. (For example)

stick to playstation where you can program players to play the perfect game. Leave the opinion to supporters who understand AFL is not played in a vacuum where Gary Ablett talent is the only criteria.

You will never wipe the smile off my face.
West Coast always !!

P.s Should of made this a thread. Is there any way moderators can change it ?

P.s.s If you have stuck to honest opinion and reasonable arguments then I don't agree with your opinion but hey, as the saying goes. This post is directed at the 'hate' brigade. There is plenty on here and even more not associated with big footy. Cringeworthy

Last edited:
Stats - one of the highest champion data ppg mids in 2014 - check

Umpires - 2014 Brownlow medallist - check

Coaches - Top 5 AFLCA in 2014 - check

Peers - Not sure where he placed in the AFLPA but a few team mates and opposition players have said they rate ol Pridda - check

AA - made the 40 man squad and (likely) just missed out, quite a few phantom sides had him in there - check

Media - generally gets a lot of positive comments from most of the media - check

Some WCE posters - consistently identified as a flog that can't kick, has no place in the team, should be dropped, eats babies, etc - NOT checked

There you have it, Pridda is a horrible, horrible player. :(
All of the above..check.

Yet he still can't hit a target on the chest from fifty meters away with his dominant foot and still handballs to a team mates foot. Check.

I was absolutely loathed to write anything negative about this fabulous win. (Anyone who reads my posts knows I have no problem writing negative crap)

But to all the anti Priddis brigade, it's time you stopped embarrassing yourselves. You lost and you lost bad. Its just sad you still don't know how badly you lost. The brownlow win itself proves little sure. But anyone who is even remotely familiar with the history and arguments against Priddis and does not have a delusional based agenda realises this result OBLITERATES any negative thought. Stick to your 2 or 3 reasonable negative arguments against the absolute plethora of evidence that supports the opposite.

To all the 'real' WC supporters (and it's not blind faith) who have had to endure ' that' thread and ' those' supporters I hope you are as happy as I am. There is a big difference between opinion and blind sheep like hate.
I wouldn't even wish 'those' supporters on my least favourite club. It's at times been cringeworthy to support this great club just because you might get lumped in with 'anti Priddis' brigade. Not interested in any slanging match.

We'll done Matt, I am absolutely rapt for you. This ranks as equal to our premiership wins for so many different reasons.

never understood how someone who has obvious talent and 'busts a gut' every game is our most criticised player. You really don't understand football if you think disposal effiency is the only criteria. (For example)

stick to playstation where you can program players to play the perfect game. Leave the opinion to supporters who understand AFL is not played in a vacuum where Gary Ablett talent is the only criteria.

You will never wipe the smile off my face.
West Coast always !!

P.s Should of made this a thread. Is there any way moderators can change it ?

P.s.s If you have stuck to honest opinion and reasonable arguments then I don't agree with your opinion but hey, as the saying goes. This post is directed at the 'hate' brigade. There is plenty on here and even more not associated with big footy. Cringeworthy
No, it doesn't. I still find it difficult to fathom that Priddis is a Brownlow winner (considering the games he polled in when there were clearly better players on the field that day) and it's a wonderful personal accomplishment, but this win does not come close to a West Coast premiership.

You should reconsider that comment.

Nope, nope and nope for the bold.

Never been identified as the comps best player, never made the AA team, and is merely regarded in passing well below the games best players.

Yeah, nah.

As I said quite a few phantom AA sides had Priddis on the bench. I'd say its safe to say he just missed out. Regardless he was rated enough to make the 40 man squad. So AA - check.

Priddis was one of the three Eagles voted by his peers for the AFLPA MVP. Priddis was also voted to be in the running for the Robert Rose medal as the team's most courageous player. There has also been a few times where oppositions players have talked positively about Priddis, for example Zorko talking about Priddis being one of the players he would like at Brisbane. So Peers - check.

As for the media, you only have to read through this thread to see the anti-Priddis crowd complaining about the media giving Priddis love. Most of the commentators are complimentary during the games, AFL.com regularly has him in the team's best, gets alot of kudos on footy shows, etc. etc. Regardless of if you agree with their view, their view is positive. So Media - check.

Nobody said he was/is identified as the comp's best player, even the greatest Priddis fan would never argue that. However he has had a very good and consistent year and this has been recognised through various mediums such as stats, coaches, peers, umpires and the media.

All of the above..check.

Yet he still can't hit a target on the chest from fifty meters away with his dominant foot and still handballs to a team mates foot. Check.

Yet for all his flaws he has won the brownlow, made the AA 40 man squad, top 5 in the AFLCA, etc etc.

But yeah he isn't AFL standard. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back