Night of Champions (2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

just on cena, was listening to Jim ross's podcast the other day with cowboy bill watts. in amongst all the old man rambling about how much better the good old days used to be, watts mentioned that cena 'cant sell' which i thought was a bit harsh, but more specifically made the point that he doesn't really earn his comebacks, he just sort of gets up from a beating and starts fighting normally. makes it look like the wrestlers are just taking turns to do their moves for half a hour then the match is over.
Dude is crazy - Cena has sold millions. ;)

just on cena, was listening to Jim ross's podcast the other day with cowboy bill watts. in amongst all the old man rambling about how much better the good old days used to be, watts mentioned that cena 'cant sell' which i thought was a bit harsh, but more specifically made the point that he doesn't really earn his comebacks, he just sort of gets up from a beating and starts fighting normally. makes it look like the wrestlers are just taking turns to do their moves for half a hour then the match is over.

Brock Lesnar had him in the Kimura for absolutely ages, a move that is supposed to break arms. John comes back and within 10 seconds he has an STF in full force. That makes no ******* sense John, your arm should be ****ed, at least make it seem like you are struggling to hold the STF. Completely devalued the Kimura.

I know the reasoning is "WWE logic", but why wouldn't Cena let Rollins cash in and win the championship? Surely it would be easier to beat Rollins than Lesnar.

Brock Lesnar had him in the Kimura for absolutely ages, a move that is supposed to break arms. John comes back and within 10 seconds he has an STF in full force. That makes no ******* sense John, your arm should be ******, at least make it seem like you are struggling to hold the STF. Completely devalued the Kimura.

Yeah, no arguments from me. Good call.
I know the reasoning is "WWE logic", but why wouldn't Cena let Rollins cash in and win the championship? Surely it would be easier to beat Rollins than Lesnar.
He has to Rise Above Lesnar. He has to do it for the kids, and that marine who gave him his purple heart medal. Presumably Priddis will give him his brownlow after his efforts at NOC 2014.

PS Just realised none of the Wyatts got a Guernsey on the show. Huh.

Yeah, no arguments from me. Good call.

He has to Rise Above Lesnar. He has to do it for the kids, and that marine who gave him his purple heart medal. Presumably Priddis will give him his brownlow after his efforts at NOC 2014.

PS Just realised none of the Wyatts got a Guernsey on the show. Huh.

True. I hope Rollins and Cena now feud, just so Cena isn't near the championship. Although I don't want to see Rollins buried. Although they may have a HIAC match. If Cena and Lesnar don't face, I wonder who Lesnar will face. Bring back Angle.

One of the most poorly booked main events I've ever seen. Came close to making Summerslam redundant.

Audience was ACHING for Cesaro to do the swing. Disappointing it didn't happen.

No Wyatt Family :(

i agree that cenas no selling of the kimura was annoying (although in general i find the hysteria over cena no selling to be absurdly over the top and hypocritical). there were some points were he was holding it limp, but he couldve done a better job on the comebacks. but aside from that i really liked the match. that german they slo moed was probably as close to vader/inoki as we'll ever see in the wwe.

how did it almost make summerslam redundant?

cesaro/sheamus wasnt as great as i was hoping but still good.

orton/jericho is a match i came very close to skipping i have such little interest in either one, but wound up being surprisingly good.

divas match was good for a main roster divas match

i think ambrose return wouldve been better if it was just his music hitting rather than doing a runner from the taxi (which just happened to show up as rollins issued his challenge...?o_O) the overall theme is pretty average but the opening has that stone cold glass shatter effect.

overall a pretty good show. only outright bad things i thought was the usa! s**t and those country singers doing what many thought was impossible and making the commentary even worse.

not-this-b6hjbr.jpg

I think these PPVs are going to get worse before they get better.

I think the reason that Rollins and Ambrose are both so over is that they're upper-midcarders that WWE haven't wrecked. Normally they do this thing where no one can ultimately lose, so they just trade wins back and forth and everyone looks like crap.

Which is what leads to the current situation - they've lost Punk, Bryan and Reigns long term during the course of this year, and they have no one that they can believably promote to take those spots cos they wrecked them all. I'd prepared for us to see plenty more Sheamus and Big Show. When injuries or poor ratings hit, WWE always goes back to the well with what's been successful - they no longer really try new things when they're on a downward swing.

I'd start preparing for Cena vs Brock at Wrestlemania too.

Wasn't a great show by any means last night, and a lot of it was predictable paint by numbers stuff.

Usos/Dustys was ok, was happy to see the Dusts take the titles.
Sheamus/Cesaro was good. Sheamus doesn't get the response he used to though, needs a heel turn to freshen up.
Miz/Dolph was a good match, obviously with those 2, but ruined by the redneck commentary and their lame cameo. Everyone knew it was coming, no one comes out for guest commentary if they're not getting involved, and they were terribly unconvincing.
Seth/Dean. Yawn. As soon as there's an open challenge it's always 1 of 2 people who come out, either Great Khali, or the one person that the challenger is feuding with/fears. Ambrose's leap off the screen thing was nice though.
Rusev/Henry. Another yawn. Could've been a cool match but those 2 didn't gel at all.
Orton/Jericho. Decent, but nothing special. Could see the flying RKO coming a mile off.
Divas title. Was brilliant for a perve, not much else though. Some good moments but mostly looked a bit lost, did like the title change though, keeps the tit for tat thing going. Loved King's expert analysis on who the suplex/powerbomb hurt most though, "I think AJ got the worst of it coming from the top. Maybe Paige second most." Oh really?
Cena/Bork. Was actually a decent narrative this time. As much as i loved seeing Cena get ragdolled at Summerslam, this one was shaping up to be something good, then the screwy finish. Crap finish to a mediocre night. Then, surprise, Seth gets attacked before he can properly cash in. Again.

Die hard fan for 24 years... haven't been watching the last 2 really... caught the last two Brock matches.. loving the way they have used him and the Summerslam squash of Cena... his a beast and they should keep using him like that. Brock VS Orton for Mania would be nice. Orton as a RKO'ing (stone cold stunnering) face.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back