Analysis 2014 AFL Awards

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Anyone have a list of our votes? The players were Rockliff, Hanley, Redden, Zorko, Martin and Bewick I think, but didn't catch the order exactly.
clear.png

Pearce Hanley
9 votes

clear.png

Dayne Zorko
8 votes

clear.png

Jack Redden
5 votes

clear.png

Stefan Martin
4 votes

clear.png

Rohan Bewick
1 votes

clear.png

Tom Rockliff *
15 votes

Martin and Redden both missed half the year.

Rich would have polled as well, does show the year we could have in 2015!

Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Odds up for next year already, rocky in the top 5

Gary Ablett 7.00
Nathan Fyfe 7.00
Joel Selwood 9.00
Patrick Dangerfield 11.00
Tom Rockliff 16.00
Scott Pendlebury 17.00
Matt Priddis 17.00
Luke Parker 21.00
Lance Franklin 21.00
Dyson Heppell 26.00

Odds up for next year already, rocky in the top 5

Gary Ablett 7.00
Nathan Fyfe 7.00
Joel Selwood 9.00
Patrick Dangerfield 11.00
Tom Rockliff 16.00
Scott Pendlebury 17.00
Matt Priddis 17.00
Luke Parker 21.00
Lance Franklin 21.00
Dyson Heppell 26.00

And Priddis not :drunk:

I missed all but the last few rounds of the count. Interesting that Aish didn't poll against St Kilda.

Looking at the list above, it sadly confirms what western royboy was saying about the lag between playing good footy and getting Brownlow votes. With the exception of Bewick's solitary vote, it's pretty much the usual suspects. Martin got four, but you'd have to say that's unders for the season he had.

I really like that the rules of the Brownlow haven't changed (much) over the years, but it's getting harder for us traditionalists to keep arguing that it should stay in the hands of the umpires.

I really like that the rules of the Brownlow haven't changed (much) over the years, but it's getting harder for us traditionalists to keep arguing that it should stay in the hands of the umpires.

The trouble is who do you give the vote to? The Fourth Estate? They're packed with ex-players waiting for a chance to blow smoke up the current stars' arses and we wouldn't have a winner from outside Victoria. Players? Don't watch enough footy and I'm not sure how they'd organise it to vote on individual matches. The fans? "The winner of the Brownlow Medal for the next 5 years is Scott Pendlebury". The coaches probably go OK, but they have their own award (as do the media and players for that matter). I think the umpires do as good a job as any.

The trouble is who do you give the vote to? The Fourth Estate? They're packed with ex-players waiting for a chance to blow smoke up the current stars' arses and we wouldn't have a winner from outside Victoria. Players? Don't watch enough footy and I'm not sure how they'd organise it to vote on individual matches. The fans? "The winner of the Brownlow Medal for the next 5 years is Scott Pendlebury". The coaches probably go OK, but they have their own award (as do the media and players for that matter). I think the umpires do as good a job as any.

Yep.

Maybe one group is as good as another.

Incidentally, I'm not advocating for change. It's just frustrating trying to defend the status quo when the problems are so obvious.

Yep.

Maybe one group is as good as another.

Incidentally, I'm not advocating for change. It's just frustrating trying to defend the status quo when the problems are so obvious.

Yeah, I guessed that based on the "traditionalist" bit

Back