No Oppo Supporters CAS hands down guilty verdict - Players appealing - Dank shot - no opposition - (cont in pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read the last 30 or so pages of this thread.

Did some one actually say that other clubs are jealous of us?

Jesus ******* christ
I feel that some people are very short sighted. I understand that the media has whipped up a frenzy to paint the picture we are a club 'on the edge' but we are FAR FAR FAR from that reality.

Here are the facts:
1. Club has a very strong financial grounding. This will not bankrupt the club. We are still one of the top 5 'financial' clubs in the league.
Jealous Clubs: North, Brisbane, Melbourne, Bulldogs, Carlton, St Kilda, Sydney, GWS, Gold Coast

Club has 'industry best' facilities at TVS.
Jealous Clubs: St Kilda, Brisbane, North Melbourne, Bulldogs, Carlton, Richmond, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Fremantle, Melbourne

Club has a Top 8 'list', potentially Top 4 in coming years.
Jealous Clubs: St Kilda, Brisbane, Bulldogs, Melbourne, Carlton, Collingwood... and many others.

Club has record level membership that puts us in the top 5 clubs for 'revenue from Membership', 2nd in Victoria
Jealous Clubs: Brisbane, Carlton, Suns, GWS, Melbourne, North, St K, Doggies

Club has strong, long term and stable sponsorship
Jealous Clubs: See above

Club has an excellent panel of coaching staff and administrators
Jealous Clubs: Adelaide, North Melbourne

Club has had an incredibly stable board for 50 years
Jealous Clubs: North, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, Richmond, Carlton

Club has the second most recognisable 'club sporting brand' across Australia
Jealous Clubs: All

Club has the leading online social media presence
Jealous Clubs: See Above

Club has the most successful history in the league
Jealous Clubs: All of those mother*ers!

I understand the club has been under pressure, no one has much enjoyed it, but EFC will survive this. It really will, despite what some would have you believe. So yes, I truly believe that other clubs and their supporters will remain jealous of us despite what appears on the 'surface'.

I am proud to be EFC. You know what makes most of them the angriest? That their minnow clubs would have been destroyed by this already.. crushed and buried.. but here we are.. proud, loyal and paid up to support our team. The exodus is a myth despite the fact that ONE SINGLE player wants to leave.. we have MANY young players sign up and want to be part of this club moving forward. On field may have been better, we assume it would have been, but the reality is that we came 7th.. and were one quarter of footy away from maybe 4/5th level.. which isn't about the saga so much as the maturity of the group. Our list is good and LOYAL..

I know that this ASADA thing will go away one day.. it really will.. and our club will be out the other side of this shitstorm in great shape.. unlike heaps of clubs that will limp on with their AFL handouts and meagre returns.. I'm club our pain is temporary.. I'd hate to support a club that has level of s**t to look forward to forever..

I feel that some people are very short sighted. I understand that the media has whipped up a frenzy to paint the picture we are a club 'on the edge' but we are FAR FAR FAR from that reality.

Here are the facts:
1. Club has a very strong financial grounding. This will not bankrupt the club. We are still one of the top 5 'financial' clubs in the league.
Jealous Clubs: North, Brisbane, Melbourne, Bulldogs, Carlton, St Kilda, Sydney, GWS, Gold Coast

Jealous Clubs: St Kilda, Brisbane, North Melbourne, Bulldogs, Carlton, Richmond, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Fremantle, Melbourne

Jealous Clubs: St Kilda, Brisbane, Bulldogs, Melbourne, Carlton, Collingwood... and many others.

Club has record level membership that puts us in the top 5 clubs for 'revenue from Membership', 2nd in Victoria

Jealous Clubs: All of those mothergooses!

I understand the club has been under pressure, no one has much enjoyed it, but EFC will survive this. It really will, despite what some would have you believe. So yes, I truly believe that other clubs and their supporters will remain jealous of us despite what appears on the 'surface'.

I am proud to be EFC. You know what makes most of them the angriest? That their minnow clubs would have been destroyed by this already.. crushed and buried.. but here we are.. proud, loyal and paid up to support our team. The exodus is a myth despite the fact that ONE SINGLE player wants to leave.. we have MANY young players sign up and want to be part of this club moving forward. On field may have been better, we assume it would have been, but the reality is that we came 7th.. and were one quarter of footy away from maybe 4/5th level.. which isn't about the saga so much as the maturity of the group. Our list is good and LOYAL..

I know that this ASADA thing will go away one day.. it really will.. and our club will be out the other side of this shitstorm in great shape.. unlike heaps of clubs that will limp on with their AFL handouts and meagre returns.. I'm club our pain is temporary.. I'd hate to support a club that has level of s**t to look forward to forever..
no clubs are jealous of us

Here are the facts:

Many of your facts are strangely fraught with opinions.

Doesn't have to be completely one way or another. There is no doubt that the facilities Essendon now enjoy are the envy of many clubs. Membership numbers too. The list is in pretty good shape also.

Here's the thing though- would other clubs go through 2 years like this to achieve those things? Given that I've seen many comments on here that you'd not wish this s**t on any club, as well as the fact it could threaten the existence of certain clubs (if they lost the AFL support, quite possibly), I'd suggest the answer is a big, fat

'* NO!'

".....Fairfax Media believes that a group of seven AFL presidents met at the request of Adelaide chairman Rob Chapman on Sunday at a Melbourne restaurant......"

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...a-drags-on-20140922-10kj0r.html#ixzz3E64yteAJ

Rob Chapman has just sacked a Senior Coach who was only reaapointed in May and had 2 years of his contract to run. Maybe he should focus on the lack of governance at his own club before he starts lecturing others.

I have been reading this thread every day since it was created and then the previous thread before that, but I have never felt the need to post until now.

Essendon is a strong football club and it will face the challenges as it arises but it is a shame some of you are not as strong as the club. Why should James Hird stand down? Because you are sick of hearing about it? Harden up princesses.

This club and it's supporters should fight and let the truth come out. We should be united behind the club and everyone at the club until this reaches a final conclusion and not one minute before. James Hird is a champion and hero of this club and he deserves the opportunity to clear his name and prove his innocence. To this point the players and James have been denied this opportunity and true justice as this saga plays out to serve the interest of others. I don't know a single person who's heart bleeds for Essendon more than James Hird himself.

As rines has stated, apart from hearing about this in the media how is the club doing badly? The club has more than enough benefactors to ensure this saga will not hurt us financially, as Little has already stated. We have a proud history and a promising future if the players are able to prove their innocence.

If it is proven the club has done something wrong then the club is answerable ONLY to us, the members. I cannot wait for 2015 memberships to go on sale.

Here's the thing though- would other clubs go through 2 years like this to achieve those things? Given that I've seen many comments on here that you'd not wish this s**t on any club, as well as the fact it could threaten the existence of certain clubs (if they lost the AFL support, quite possibly), I'd suggest the answer is a big, fat

'**** NO!'

Here is my thing. Why the * did the AFL go down this path and do this to one of its 18 stake holders? And why are they sitting back not showing one iota of support to our club? No one in the industry (ie the AFL, ASADA, EFC, the media goons) have the humility enough to put their hands up and say, yup we farked this thing up. So in my little world the only thing left is to somehow pry the truth out. I suspect a couple of stake holders here (namely the AFL commission) do not want the truth revealed. Other clubs may not have survived but I reckon the AFL would of stepped in and done the right thing eventually. So far the AFL continue to want to burn the place down. Shocking insight to the people who work at AFL house. All we hear from them is "take the deal take the deal, sack Hird, sack Hird"

Here are the facts:

Heh.

Here is my thing. Why the **** did the AFL go down this path and do this to one of its 18 stake holders? And why are they sitting back not showing one iota of support to our club?
My theory is that the AFL thought the problem was actually bigger than it turned out to be, but by the time it realised the reality, it had already set the wheels of manipulation in motion, and felt it was too late to turn back without damaging the brand of the AFL's senior executives.

In other words, it panicked, decided to make an example out of EFC - especially the support staff - to try to contain the damage, and by the time it realised the smoking gun wasn't smoking that much, it was too late to put the genie back in the bottle.

After this happened, the level of vindictiveness and attacks between the AFL and EFC kept on increasing, to the point where senior people on both sides have agendas and 'face' to protect, and no-one is willing to significantly back down or admit they were wrong / manipulative / deceitful / etc.

The AFL can't show us much support publicly without harming the narrative it's pushed all the way through this, which would be embarrassing for Demetriou, Gill, Clothier, etc.

My theory is that the AFL thought the problem was actually bigger than it turned out to be, but by the time it realised the reality, it had already set the wheels of manipulation in motion, and felt it was too late to turn back without damaging the brand of the AFL's senior executives.

In other words, it panicked, decided to make an example out of EFC - especially the support staff - to try to contain the damage, and by the time it realised the smoking gun wasn't smoking that much, it was too late to put the genie back in the bottle.

After this happened, the level of vindictiveness and attacks between the AFL and EFC kept on increasing, to the point where senior people on both sides have agendas and 'face' to protect, and no-one is willing to significantly back down or admit they were wrong / manipulative / deceitful / etc.

The AFL can't show us much support publicly without harming the narrative it's pushed all the way through this, which would be embarrassing for Demetriou, Gill, Clothier, etc.

In my opinion this is a very reasonable assessment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is my thing. Why the **** did the AFL go down this path and do this to one of its 18 stake holders? And why are they sitting back not showing one iota of support to our club? No one in the industry (ie the AFL, ASADA, EFC, the media goons) have the humility enough to put their hands up and say, yup we farked this thing up. So in my little world the only thing left is to somehow pry the truth out. I suspect a couple of stake holders here (namely the AFL commission) do not want the truth revealed. Other clubs may not have survived but I reckon the AFL would of stepped in and done the right thing eventually. So far the AFL continue to want to burn the place down. Shocking insight to the people who work at AFL house. All we hear from them is "take the deal take the deal, sack Hird, sack Hird"

Got spooked by the fed govt

I would take the predicament of most clubs then what we're in right now.

Gill's PP presentations to the presidents.

ByLIpERCQAAUNNK.jpg

Sounds fair, after all, the AFL would be at least 50% to blame for the damage to EFC reputation/Brand

Said it from the start of the court action I thought it was a bad idea and the last 30 pages is why. It gave the opportunity once again for the AFL to change the narrative. You think Gil would have let that 50% BS out had the the media environment been what it was before or even during the court action announcement? No way. I've been reading this thread for over 1000 pages and am starting to see some of the most staunch supporters finally show cracks. It's getting to straw that breaks the camels back territory.

I've also been following all the facts and processes about how show causes/infractions are supposed to work out through this thread but regardless of burden of proof the bottom line is that the final say lies with the AFL. Does anyone really think that even with the flimsiest evidence of drug taking that after the EFC aired all the AFL's dirty laundry via the trial the AFL wouldn't just take the opportunity to get come-upance? Even if we won the trial. Have a look at the afl's track record. They are a law unto themselves. They will hang players out to dry to get their man, of this I have no doubt.

I don't wish to see James Hird or anyone at EFC get shafted over this complete cluter*, but if he/they do I'll have absolutely no sympathy for them (besides players of course). They managed to wrangle the rod they were getting beating with off the enemy, decided to gloat about it then gave it back. That piece of s**t Wilson was right about one thing. James Hird has been extremely poorly advised throughout this process.

I don't wish to see James Hird or anyone at EFC get shafted over this complete cluter****, but if he/they do I'll have absolutely no sympathy for them (besides players of course). They managed to wrangle the rod they were getting beating with off the enemy, decided to gloat about it then gave it back. That piece of s**t Wilson was right about one thing. James Hird has been extremely poorly advised throughout this process.
What do you think Hird should have done differently this year ?

What do you think Hird should have done differently this year ?

Not just hird but Hird and the Board. No federal court Challenge. Don't get me wrong, I think both parties have been treated like s**t for mostly the whole saga, but you can't argue that there have been some bonehead plays by the EFC. 1. Self Reporting 2. Ziggy 3. Federal Court Challenge.

It honestly feels like they are trying to hang themselves.

Not just hird but Hird and the Board. No federal court Challenge. Don't get me wrong, I think both parties have been treated like s**t for mostly the whole saga, but you can't argue that there have been some bonehead plays by the EFC. 1. Self Reporting 2. Ziggy 3. Federal Court Challenge.
We'll have to agree to disagree on #3 here - I think the fed court challenge was well worth it, for (a) the chance at killing the case now (even though it didn't come off in hindsight); and (b) the airing of much of the AFL's and ASADA's dirty laundry.

An appeal however, would be a different story.

EDIT: not sure you can pin #1 or #2 on Hird.

I would take the predicament of most clubs then what we're in right now.
Then go and support them.

Seriously.. I'll give you some options:
Bulldogs: The eternal optimists believe their list will, at some point, challenge for a flag. Form and history suggest you won't have to bother saving money for GF tickets anytime soon.. let alone attend a Family Day after winning a flag.

Richmond: Two years of dragging their sorry asses into the finals has seen the Roar return to these recently meek kitty cat's.. however both times has seen despatched in short order. Plenty to like about following Richmond.. you will get most Septembers free altogether. Oh and development is severely hindered by old facilities that need a serious revamp so don't expect much growth out of the youngsters.

Adelaide: Missed finals for a couple of years and currently have no coach. This was due to the internal factions at the club that routinely fight over control of this conglomerate of warring parties. The advantage of following the Crows is getting to spend lots of time with people without teeth. Currently rumours that up to 8 of their starting 22 want to leave and there is no young talent coming through thanks to the SALARY CAP AND DRAFT TAMPERING penalties applied for them DELIBERATELY cheating. At least you'll might get to watch Dangerfield for one more season.. if he doesn't leave this year.

Brisbane: Enjoy watching a team that won three flags on the back of the AFL assistance package and now struggles to retain enough players to fill its team sheet. Exciting future ahead with some of their young cattle, but deep instability at the top level, lack of membership and fans leaves the club perilously close to collapse most of the time. Biggest decision will choosing which version of the Lion you want on the jumper.

Carlton: After being found guilty of the biggest salary cap rort in AFL history, the club was decimated by draft and financial sanctions. Only now trying to recover from the board level collapse that has dragged leadership decisions into the mud. The legacy? They are still paying off a grand stand that was never used. Enjoy having Septembers free for the next five years while they attempt their third rebuild around the glowing pillars of Gibbs and Kruezer. Have no key position players so you won't have to worry about whether to play them forward or back.

St Kilda: Great to follow if you love driving. Seaford is lovely and Thai Beach Noodles are the best going around! Apparently moving back to somewhere that resembles a good location but facilities mean that developing talent will be next to impossible. The club knows this and has already started by trading away stars to get high enough draft picks that hopefully don't need as much development to reach a good level. Enjoy watching a lot of blow outs with your new club cause they have lots of pain heading their way over the next five years. Whilst you will get to enjoy Septembers off, your Octobers will be busy defending players against allegations of all sorts of behaviour.. lovely! Oh, and be prepared to open your wallet a fair bit if you want the club to stay solvent, they are now fully dependent on AFL handouts so bankruptcy may be an option. Irony would be that you now support the only club to have a player suspended for doping violations in the last ten years... but all good!

Melbourne: Well this team will be so glad to have your support you might get a personal visit from Roos. Best part is that you can literally have any seat in the house when you want to go to the game! Also no queues at the Toilet or Pie Stand as there is only around 10,000 people to share watching your team get flogged most weeks. Bonus is getting to listen to Roosy on club nights talk up "Wattsy and Jonesy and Vineeeeey"! Be prepared to acknowledge that your new club hasn't had a stable board for 50 years and is now, by defacto, run directly by AFL House. Also supposedly trying to pay back the fine they received for BRINGING THE GAME INTO DISREPUTE by 'not tanking'.. so at least you will be familiar with the charge and how 'robust' it is at keeping our good game safe from rogue clubs. Good news is that even if your players are linked to doping allegations, you are such a non-entity that no one will bother to write 1000's of stories about it. As always feel free to book in September holidays for the next decade, you won't have anything to worry about.

Collingwood: Great news is that you will still have some blockbusters to attend! Joining this large family has got the benefit of a very slimming look in the Black and White. Watching Pendlebury and Swan go about their business is fun, as is trying to pick the difference between the latter and Beams. Good news is that it may not be a problem forever with Beams likely to leave and Swan likely to be arrested. Enjoy 10 years of pure mediocrity as your club completes a full list rebuild, but will be quicker than other clubs because at least there are some facilities to use. Best part is having a fan forum to discuss your views with the club, helpful to deal with the ongoing saga regarding the choice of coach they made three years ago... Another bonus is having your President as a media personality, helps to keep the narrative off your own problems and firmly fixed on other clubs. Disappointing part is the rampant racism and homophobia, but the exodus of senior players over the last two years should improve that somewhat...

Sydney: Good times ahead! You will get to watch stars galore knowing that you know follow a club 9.8% 'better' than everyone else! Saddest part will be watching them slide in mediocrity once the glass of Coke is finished. Still have plenty to like with crowds regularly in excess of 20,000 now turning up to watch the team! Biggest worry will be seeing how long Franklin can last without picking up his third strike.. or blowing his knee and forcing you to use 10% of your salary cap for 10 years paying him out. Nervous times. Like so many of your other options, money is short but the AFL is there with helping hand to ensure you survive from year to year.

So plenty of options mate.. pick one and have fun!

Meanwhile I'll keep supporting the club I love and keep seeing all the positives about our future. Right now my club isn't guilty of doing anything other than trusting the wrong people, at the wrong time and getting caught up in the biggest cluster* in history. I'll just focus on our world leading facilities, great list, loyal players, strong supporters, excellent coaching and bright future.

We'll have to agree to disagree on #3 here - I think the fed court challenge was well worth it, for (a) the chance at killing the case now (even though it didn't come off in hindsight); and (b) the airing of much of the AFL's and ASADA's dirty laundry.

EDIT: not sure you can pin #1 or #2 on Hird.

Bringing me back to my original point. We've aired the AFL's dirty laundry when the AFL hold the final say on infraction notices. Given their track record on "investigation" the penalties have probably already been decided.

This was when the narrative changed......we lost the court battle, but we got some key messages/information into the public domain. The public dont like EFC, but they also think the AFL are corrupt, self serving campaigner (whic they are)
I'm also very heartened by the players response through the AFLPA, as well as the message coming from Tim Watson.

As supporters, we do need to show as much fortitude now as Hird and the players have over the last 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back