Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

I know we overrate our own players but... actually nah * it.

By the end of next year this bloke will clearly be our best player, be all-aus and be in the top 10 players in the comp.

Some of the things we learn about our players when we are 30 points down at half time, and after they receive a motivational talk from dal santo is amazing..

First handball went to Gibson's feet. Delist.

Are we talking about the one where he handballed it out in front of Gibson before his goal? Because I reckon he did it deliberately, trying to get it to bounce up into Gibson's hands. His mind works too quick for his body sometimes.

Are we talking about the one where he handballed it out in front of Gibson before his goal? Because I reckon he did it deliberately, trying to get it to bounce up into Gibson's hands. His mind works too quick for his body sometimes.

Yeah, that one.

Love the new player thread setup.

I like this comparison.

For the people wondering where Cunners will fit once Ziebs is back, there will always be a position available for blokes that have an exquisite feel for the game. Lewis' defensive forward job on Saturday as one example.

He isn't slow in and around contests by any means when he is fighting for the ball and I quite like the fact that he is ponderous with the ball, why would he rush and waste a possession when he has hands footballers dream of? Experience and a few pre seasons, that is all this kid is missing from being a gun.

He will become one of those players you don't have to worry about not performing going into a big final.
Probably gonna be better than I thought. Heh

His numbers against the Bombers...in 70% game time only.

On a 100% game time basis, he would have had 42 possessions (24 contested), 10 marks (3 contested), 10 clearances and 1.5 goals.

And numbers never tell you much about the quality of his game, which was exquisite. That Gibson goal - Cunners' first handball to Gibbo was a bit rough, and Gibbo had to give it back to him under pressure and kept running towards goal. Cunnington then identifed Gibbo had got about 1m goalside of his man and fired a handpass that was only going to work if Gibbo didn't have to pause or break stride, otherwise he would have been caught. The handpass hit Gibbo on the run exactly where you want it - laces out so to speak - so he could put it straight onto his boot for goal. Just sublime. (great work by Gibbo too)

Gibbo dropped it, well done to Cunners for his composure and to trust Gibbo enough to give it back to him!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly Ball never got as much of the footy as Cunners has this year.

He has (plenty of times, actually), although I must admit I'm surprised Ball was mostly in the 20-23 disposals per game range, thought it might have been a bit more. Very good player regardless.

Interestingly Ball never got as much of the footy as Cunners has this year.
Wow, I never realised this. Super impressed by Ben’s numbers this year, of course, but I suppose I just assumed that Ball would have beaten those numbers in his very best years (pre-Lyon?)

Wow, I never realised this. Super impressed by Ben’s numbers this year, of course, but I suppose I just assumed that Ball would have beaten those numbers in his very best years (pre-Lyon?)

I'm only going by per game numbers, but Ball's best season when he played at least 15 games was 22 touches in his third season (which is what Ben is at this season). He had 23.4 last year but missed half the season. For most of his career he was right around the 20 mark (career is 20.4).

Once Ben graduates to that 25+ per game player it won't even be a comparison. Loved Ball as a player but he had limitations that Ben doesn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back