List Mgmt. 2014 Trade and Free Agency Targets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If getting Dangerfield gives us 5000 more members, he pays for himself.
Would be a massive get for us. More members, bigger crowds & more FTA exposure.
We would all love Dangerfield.
The issue is convincing him to come to us when every other vic club will want him also

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
The way that NFL general managers do it now, and I'm sure we are copying their methods around free agency, is to look at this three years out. Every contract that is signed is done so with free agency in mind. Front loading and or back loading contracts to coincide with the most available cap space at the right times is vital. For example signing Waite on a 2 year deal worth 800k over 2, year one 650k, year two 150k and saving money through paying under cap space next year to be able to offer the show stopping money for someone like Dangerfield the year after.

Just getting back to O'Rourke, I recall before his draft 2 years ago that he wasn't exactly a concensus top 3 pick. A few good judges noted that he was a bit of a "jack of all trades, master of none" in that he was neither an elite inside mid nor an elite outside mid. Those that thought this not only had him dropping out of the top 3, but also the top 10, mainly because his game might not translate to AFL level. They may well have been proven correct (at least thus far).

If my memory recalls correctly, he had Viney & Macrae in the same U18 team as his. So Viney was doing most of the genuine inside work, while Macrae was putting the finishing touches on plays. O'Rourke was kind of the conduit between the 2, which some saw as required at U18 level, but not at AFL level.

The talent is obviously there, but a lack of a true position can sometimes hurt you at the highest level... Even as a midfielder.

Saintly31

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would think that the strategy would be to use FA to get the big names and trade for role players/younger players with potential, that way you maximise your picks and own list.

I only put Mullett forward as he would have currency and is a player that we can cover if we move him on given we have Atley, McDonald, Wright and Macmillan capable of playing off half back. I would very much like to see him return to form next year too, but if trading him nets us a Jono O'Rourke for example, a potential long term quality midfielder. It would be a bit of a risk, but sometimes these pay off.

Yep, absolutely.

I was more meaning if we could move on McKenzie or Bastinac for a player we want, I would much rather move one of those than Mullett. If we had to use Mullett instead, then yep for sure the reward may outweigh the risk.

Even though a disappointing year, I am convinced he will be a better player in 5 years than both of them -if he isn't already.

I know McKenzie has come up frequently as trade bait, but off what I've seen (quality kick, seemingly little else) I seriously question his trade value at this point. Needed to have a much better 2014 to have genuine trade potential IMO for players we would want. Otherwise it would just be a very late pick or packaged up with a high pick.

Hunters Host #3

The Duke
May 31, 2007
Jackson Wink Acad.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Broncos
Has anybody heard anything on Nick Rippon?

Are we a chance to rookie list him.

Glad you've brought him up Harris 10 because he's one the club has certainly looked at/kept an eye on, and I understand that there are a shitload of posters who wanna discuss the likes of bringing in Dangerfield and Cameron, but it's just fanciful. There are good state league prospects like Gibson, Brown et. al...

I saw a bit of Nick this year and he has played some really decent football this season. Certainly improved on his 2013 season and would be a shot at a few clubs for a rookie position.

People would make note of Jacobs and Dumont really dominating the inside for Gerald this season, but in their absence Rippon really shone in my opinion. There was a period through the middle of the year where he had something like 30 clearances in three weeks, and I made mention of one of those games where he had 13 clearances against Richmond where they won by 10 goals. He had no Dumont and Jacobs to support him, but both he and Couch supported Anthony on the inside and really provided that outside class.

If for not being 2 inches too short, he would have been drafted a few years back, but the St. Pats boy has a pretty solid inside game where he likes to get his hands dirty and can impact the game on the outside with run and carry, and burst from congestion.

His decision making and foot-skills are solid and he can hit the scoreboard.

He would benefit from an elite environment and his speed and disposal would be real areas for improvement if he got there, but he would be a nice rookie prospect for some clubs. A lower based Melbourne club would do well to give him a spot.

On O'Rourke. I'm certainly not as excited as others about him, but he has had numerous injury concerns. Soft tissue hamstring, before he was drafted and in his rookie season. The jaw injury and a shoulder for memory. He has the tools to be a really decent AFL midfielder. A good size who should fill out nicely etc, but I've always thought he struggles under the heat a bit, and his disposal (by foot in particular) which was always talked up, is nothing to get excited about. In saying that, a move to Victoria could really help him. I haven't heard that we're looking at him, but if we are, then Cam would have done his homework.

Wilkins - Nothing out of left field at all. But unfortunately for Mitch, he's gone and unfortunately for a mate of mine, on of our SA recruiters, a bust, where he had hopes that Mitch could really develop into a quality AFL footballer. Hopefully McKenzie comes on for him and the club, as hoped.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Wilkins - Nothing out of left field at all. But unfortunately for Mitch, he's gone and unfortunately for a mate of mine, on of our SA recruiters, a bust, where he had hopes that Mitch could really develop into a quality AFL footballer. Hopefully McKenzie comes on for him and the club, as hoped.

Great post mate.

Any particular failings in Wilkins' development? He looked to have really good poise and vision but hasn't made an impact in his 2nd year.

Interested if you have an opinion why Lachie George was never looked at by anyone? Could he have been a chance had he shed some size? Love his style of game.

Scott Sherlock any chance to get a chance in the big time? How about Jye Bolton? (think he was a pies rookie previously?)

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors

I think this bloke is where I get some of my mail, via booze and Battlefield online PS4 sessions with my brother...

Hunters Host #3

The Duke
May 31, 2007
Jackson Wink Acad.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Broncos
Daz is usually across contracts, but does anyone know if Gaff re-signed at West Coast?

Any particular failings in Wilkins' development? He looked to have really good poise and vision but hasn't made an impact in his 2nd year.

Interested if you have an opinion why Lachie George was never looked at by anyone? Could he have been a chance had he shed some size? Love his style of game.

Scott Sherlock any chance to get a chance in the big time? How about Jye Bolton? (think he was a pies rookie previously?)

I think Mitch has fallen behind others to start with KC. The re-emergence of Wright (which I am stoked with), off of the half-back line, and Luke McDonald being everything we expected him to be. Whilst the latter will be a midfield prospect in the near future, he'll probably play that small-medium defender role that Mitch is most accustomed to, over the next year or two. And, really that's the thing. He doesn't have many strings to his bow. He is a small-medium defender, who is not bad one on one, sometimes found out by the smaller quicker types unlike Warren in that regard. Certainly lacks the strength to play much taller, and doesn't have the natural aggressiveness or eagerness to win balls in dispute or scrap like a similarly sized player in Luke McDonald, when playing against stronger types. Firrito will get another year, Atley looks settled in defence, and Mullet is way ahead of him. Harper could be groomed in a position off of the back half, and his opportunities will probably be scarce.

He's a beautiful ball user in time and space. Literally a really good kick of the football. If he had real speed and strength/size (where he looks like not developing), he would probably make it. Just one of those types, who lacks some outstanding attributes.

Yeah, Lachie has always been a solid footballer. I'm sure he would have been looked at. Always the bullish, strong, bustling midfielder who leads really well. He was super in the final against Werribee and that's consistently his output. Perhaps his training and conditioning were concerns because I think he's 27-28 now, but you're right, his style lends itself to being a North Ballarat faithful, fan favourite.

Sherlock we looked at last season. Not sure about this year, but before I heard we considered Ben Brown very closely, we looked at both Sherlock and Clouston very closely down at Werribee. With Sherlock, they actually had concerns over his disposal funny enough, and although I like him, I'm not sure he would offer much else, than what we've already got on the list. Then again, who knows...

Bolts not dissimilar to a mate of mine in Brett Meredith, is a bloke who is probably more suited to VFL football. Strong through the body nowadays after being pretty slight a few years ago, and he offers a point of difference through the midfield. He could come onto the radar of some clubs but I wouldn't think we'd be one of them, with the types we have coming through. Dumont for example, who I'll tell you now, will be a footballer. He's simmering away, and will most definitely make it. I was thoroughly impressed with his season. It would have been nice to see him debut but he's resilient, strong, powerful, clean, and a good football brain. Not to mention a good bloke, who when given his chance, will take it with both hands.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Not even close to what he'd [Black] be worth if he fulfils his talent. You don't trade forwards with his sort of ability, especially if the stories about his shoulder this year are true. He's played 50 games ffs.

Not to mention the club made a pretty massive commitment on him 12 months ago and convinced him to turn down a return to Perth. Turning around now and going "you had a poor year, see ya" would be pretty ordinary.
Or it would be BF.

Yeah, Lachie has always been a solid footballer. I'm sure he would have been looked at. Always the bullish, strong, bustling midfielder who leads really well. He was super in the final against Werribee and that's consistently his output. Perhaps his training and conditioning were concerns because I think he's 27-28 now, but you're right, his style lends itself to being a North Ballarat faithful, fan favourite.
Can kick a ball a mile, will be 27 at the start of next season tho.

GremlinCRHF

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Southampton Football Club
In what way? What are you suggesting that these two clubs would be offering us that would be adequate? Serious question.

In the same way that anything that someone needs holds currency. To be honest I'd take any pick below our first rounder for him, I see him as surplus for us with the emergence of Wood and Brown,and a more pressing need for a big KPF, besides we could use two first rounders.

To trade Black id want a top 5 pick and a player, a good player. No one is giving that up.

He's Aaron Black, not Wayne Carey, settle down.

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
He's Aaron Black, not Wayne Carey, settle down.

Yeah and Wayne Carey at the same age would have been worth 3 first rounders and 3 bloody good players. I'm so damn happy you don't work in our list management team we would end up with a team of spuds, while the rest of the teams would be lapping up our stars.

chubbspeterson

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah let's offload one of our best kicks in the squad when everyone is complaining about how poor our kicks inside 50 are.
I'm disappointed in McKenzie but I think he gets a couple more years to develop for mine, unless a seriously good offer is on the table.
I'm more critical of Black and Bastinac this year, they've had a longer period of time at the club, played more AFL games than McKenzie.
McKenzie needs to probably show a bit more next year and hopefully he delivers.

SnowRoo

Premiership Player
Feb 2, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah and Wayne Carey at the same age would have been worth 3 first rounders and 3 bloody good players. I'm so damn happy you don't work in our list management team we would end up with a team of spuds, while the rest of the teams would be lapping up our stars.

Sometimes i think everyone rates picks 30+ as something really valuable. Hell i think picks in general are over valued by most on BF.

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
Sometimes i think everyone rates picks 30+ as something really valuable. Hell i think picks in general are over valued by most on BF.
I totally agree, unless there is a stone cold lock first overall pick gun, you couldn't possibly justify trading a best 22 player, especially a tall forward, for picks the way that have been suggested.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Glad you've brought him up Harris 10 because he's one the club has certainly looked at/kept an eye on, and I understand that there are a shitload of posters who wanna discuss the likes of bringing in Dangerfield and Cameron, but it's just fanciful. There are good state league prospects like Gibson, Brown et. al...

I saw a bit of Nick this year and he has played some really decent football this season. Certainly improved on his 2013 season and would be a shot at a few clubs for a rookie position.

People would make note of Jacobs and Dumont really dominating the inside for Gerald this season, but in their absence Rippon really shone in my opinion. There was a period through the middle of the year where he had something like 30 clearances in three weeks, and I made mention of one of those games where he had 13 clearances against Richmond where they won by 10 goals. He had no Dumont and Jacobs to support him, but both he and Couch supported Anthony on the inside and really provided that outside class.

If for not being 2 inches too short, he would have been drafted a few years back, but the St. Pats boy has a pretty solid inside game where he likes to get his hands dirty and can impact the game on the outside with run and carry, and burst from congestion.

His decision making and foot-skills are solid and he can hit the scoreboard.

He would benefit from an elite environment and his speed and disposal would be real areas for improvement if he got there, but he would be a nice rookie prospect for some clubs. A lower based Melbourne club would do well to give him a spot.

On O'Rourke. I'm certainly not as excited as others about him, but he has had numerous injury concerns. Soft tissue hamstring, before he was drafted and in his rookie season. The jaw injury and a shoulder for memory. He has the tools to be a really decent AFL midfielder. A good size who should fill out nicely etc, but I've always thought he struggles under the heat a bit, and his disposal (by foot in particular) which was always talked up, is nothing to get excited about. In saying that, a move to Victoria could really help him. I haven't heard that we're looking at him, but if we are, then Cam would have done his homework.

i really like the way Rippon goes about it, his progress has been gradual but he has really loved not having Sewell and Clifton around this year. It has allowed his to shine in his best position. I just don't think he'd be the right suit for us because of how many inside mids we already have. He deserves a shot somewhere however.

I wouldn't sell the shed for O'Rourke. Not a huge fan. Has done nothing at AFL level to justify his status as pick 3 in a pretty solid draft. I'd be pretty disappointed if we were to trade for him using our first which has been suggested elsewhere on this site.

I wouldn't sell the shed for O'Rourke. Not a huge fan. Has done nothing at AFL level to justify his status as pick 3 in a pretty solid draft. I'd be pretty disappointed if we were to trade for him using our first which has been suggested elsewhere on this site.

Pick 2 :stern look

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
Anyone that thinks that trading Tarrant or worse delisting Tarrant is being ridiculous!!!
Worst case he breaks down again and retires and he took up just one spot on a list that has carried McMahon, Anthony, Hine, McGennis and others.
Best case he gets his body right and gives the team a massive body to break packs up forward or be the gorilla down back. The added bonus to this is that we would then have options after next season to trade one of our big guys for real currency. Our developing big guys Brown, Wood (not big but will play the Gunston, Black role), Black, Delaney, Tippet, Curren (if he is still around), Daw and Taz gives us tradability and real power at the table.
What would we get for trading Taz now? I read someone say a bag of potato chips!!! Well you can keep your chips, I'm all in on Taz for at least one more year.

The bloke is finished and anyone hoping for a miracle is delusional. He has managed 3/4 of season once in his career.

SnowRoo

Premiership Player
Feb 2, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Id probably part with our 1st for JOR and GWS 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back