• Brett Kirk

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • OTHER

Votes: 30 7.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is absolute silence around any activity related to our coaching appointment. No spotting of people in town, no spotting of our officials (bar Danger with Clarko) interstate. There are 16 teams worth of candidates currently not doing anything, with some decent candidates amongst them, and we've had a week since Sando got the chop.

Given that they would have had some sort of list of candidates prior to ditching Sando, it only takes a day to ring them all and make times to see them. You'd think there would be some urgency, given Bluey's possible dismissal, to get in first. You'd think there would be some sort of activity.

Joining the dots, we have our man/men.
Just out of interest it has been mentioned that Clarkson has family still living in Adelaide. Does anyone know what family Clarkson has and whether they still live in Adelaide.

Clarkson only had one flag in a B grade comp.

Let's face it, for all we know, Carlton could have won a premiership in the last two years if they brought in Scott Burns instead of Malthouse, it's a dead set crapshoot.
…plus a stint at st kilda, plus a premiership midfield coach at port (puke).

Bassett is definitely not worth the gamble at this point for the AFC.

Every coaching appointment is a gamble, Clarkson could be shown up to be a massive dud in a team without superstars on every line and an unlimited salary cap.

cRowie reckons he knows who the next coach is.
He's saying Clarkson is a driven coach who wants a challenge and wants to be successful at a 2nd club like the legendary coaches etc..
Not sure where he got that from, if he's trying to drop little hints into peoples minds or he has NFI..
I'm leaning to NFI.. :p

Put it this way, if Hawthorn adopted your philosophy of AFL experience above all else, they would have picked Ayres instead of Clarkson - do you think they're happy with the decision that they ultimately made?

I'd want an amazing team around Bassett.

What's the recent success rate of former players coaching their old clubs?

Games (W L D)

Voss = 109 (43-65-1)
Ratten = 120 (60–59–1)
Roos = 202 (116–84–2) 1 flag
Worsfold = 281 (149–130–2) 1 flag

-- Jury out on these current converts --

Hird = 66 (36-29-1)
Leppitsch = too soon
Buckley = 70 (42–28–0)

Am I missing anyone?

All those people were arguably chosen because they were club legends. Leppitsch is an exception and we don't know how he will pan out. Not discrediting Bassett because he was a very good player, but if he were to coach it's because of his coaching ability, and not his name

He's saying Clarkson is a driven coach who wants a challenge and wants to be successful at a 2nd club like the legendary coaches etc..
Not sure where he got that from, if he's trying to drop little hints into peoples minds or he has NFI..

To be honest I think when rowie says he knows something he legitimately knows something. Credit where credit is due he was the first in the media to know about Sando getting sacked

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it wasnt for that a-hole partner I could maybe handle listening to 5AA for hints.

Still think its either Dew or Clarko. Interesting your comments about Clarko though, it would be the biggest recruiting coup by our Club.

Freo built their reputation from securing Lyon, where circa 2012 they were the basket case of the AFL.

Couldn't agree less with this one Sanders.

Sure you can, try harder :p

1. There is no pattern to picking the right coach. Don't confuse yourself trying to find the magic formula. Every setup is so complex that it's not worth looking at a particular coach without accepting that the reason for success is the entire picture. Take Clarkson out and plonk him in another team does not ensure success, same as putting in a rookie doesn't ensure failure.

Not sure I said there was a pattern. I said 2 things
That I could not think of a senior director / young coach setup that's worked. That's not about a magic formula, that's observation

I also said its about risk, and managing risk

2. Tore a hole in the fabric? What fabric are you talking about? Interested to hear what was torn. Feels more like removing a growing virus to me.

What we did may have been right, but it wasn't fair. Unless it was action related, I.e. He did something; it looks like an overall assessment of capability. Fine, I've never been a real fan of him as coach. But if he was sucking, did we tell him? If he lost the players that didn't happen overnight, it's a gradual thing. So we must have known a long time out. We extended him. It certainly looks a bolt from the blue

I think it was more about sending a message that we're the new, ruthless AFC than anything. I wouldn't have extended him, I'd have let him go. But nonetheless what we did is not the same as what we did. Seems we sacrificed him for PR

Which I'm ok with, but you need to have someone better in the wings. We must have known he wasn't up to it for a long time

You and I both know this is most probably a dumb kneejerk reaction without planning. Even if it was the right call

3. The new coach and sando's sacking are not linked. If Sando was sacked because of what he did / didn't do ... then that is one thing. Your suggestion that we keep someone who should be sacked because we are scared of what we might replace him with is crazy talk. As far as your "rookie coaches have a draft pick like success rate" - well only one coach wins each year. Tell me who is a successful coach, at the team they coach right now? Hawks, Sydney, Port? How did they get their man?

I could not think the new coach and the old coach's situation could be more closely linked. It's about planning and not going off half cocked.

Longmire, like Chris Scott and Alan Joyce at the Hawks in the 1980's took over already built clubs, I'm not ready to call them successful coaches in their own right just yet.

Clarko is the exception. And it only strengthens my point, look how few examples there are. Just because sloane was pick 44, it doesn't make the intrinsic worth of pick 44 any higher.

Rookie coaches are a lottery with poor odds.

Then, like a lot of people, you state that you aren't saying it's the wrong call - even if the points above sort of say that you do ... and then to cry that we are now "hostages to fortune" like somehow we werent before Sando was sacked.

Easy to knock down, hard to provide an alternative. What should the club have done exactly - tell me - not what they shouldn't have done. Hindsight is too easy.

I can't see how tt is is applicable at all. Not having a replacement lined up is my criticism, not having planned it when it's been apparent a long while is my criticism. How on earth is that not suggesting an alternative?

My alternative is to do the opposite of those things! :D
No hindsight needed. Don't extend, let him know he's on notice and have a contingency in place.

It will only be true of us if we sacked Sando because we had identified and considered that we already had our replacement. I still reckon there's a good chance that the direction Sando was going was so awful that we had to put a stop to it. Sando said that they were already well advanced in 2015 planning, so was shocked to find out he didn't have a job. I'm more than comfortable with Sando getting sacked purely because he's incapable of taking us anywhere. If the next coach is equally as poor, then they can get moved on after 3 years as well. But keeping him on because we don't have a premium replacement already in the bag is treading the same path to nowhere that we've been on the last few years.

No I'm saying he didn't just become s**t overnight. Surely we didn't let it get so bad without a backup plan?

Just call goody is amateur hour

Put it this way, if Hawthorn adopted your philosophy of AFL experience above all else, they would have picked Ayres instead of Clarkson - do you think they're happy with the decision that they ultimately made?
Of course they would be happy how they lucked out with clarkson. The state of, and the climate surrounding, the AFC doesn't call for bargain basement dealings such as rookie coaches, unless of course they come as a successor along with a proven gun coach, or at the very least, that coach as a mentor. There is no room to gamble, this is actually make or break time for the AFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back