Coffee snobs thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Southside Tea Room @ Morningside. :hearts::hearts::hearts:

Absolute gem if you are into the faux dive setting.

Run by the best bunch of people ever, a few of them members of Brissie band The Grates.

Went right past there friday night as the bun mobile were out the front. Wanted to go in but I had my dog with me and dinner for my wife. Supposed to be a great spot, is on the list.

If you couldn't tell by my International Roast crack, but I don't drink that evil brown toxin. But seeing as though I went to school with Phil DiBella, I though I'd ask if anyone drank his beans and if you can really tell the difference between all the coffee vendors.

If you couldn't tell by my International Roast crack, but I don't drink that evil brown toxin. But seeing as though I went to school with Phil DiBella, I though I'd ask if anyone drank his beans and if you can really tell the difference between all the coffee vendors.
Think the difference between Carbine Stout :(and Coopers Best Extra Stout. :)

Embarking on a 20k round trip walk into the city tomorrow morning with a coffee break when the city is reached. Any suggestions! Entering from the south!

Campos. Get on board.

The little hole in the wall coffee place next to my workplace at Stafford uses their beans. Best I've had in Brisbane so far.
Yep, my place downstairs is a Campos owned shop. The boss supplies perfectly acceptable pod coffee but I have to buy at least one a day.

For mine, Blackstar roast the best coffee in Brisbane. They run their own places in West End and opposite Roma St station in the CBD, and I've been to one or two suburban places that stock their beans.

Earlier in the year I bought a nice-ish hand grinder and an aeropress, and I grab a small bag of unground beans from Blackstar each week. It is a radical, radical improvement on the pod coffee I was drinking, and it works out to about $2 a day for two long blacks. The grinder and aeropress paid for themselves within a month or two.

For mine, Blackstar roast the best coffee in Brisbane. They run their own places in West End and opposite Roma St station in the CBD, and I've been to one or two suburban places that stock their beans.

Earlier in the year I bought a nice-ish hand grinder and an aeropress, and I grab a small bag of unground beans from Blackstar each week. It is a radical, radical improvement on the pod coffee I was drinking, and it works out to about $2 a day for two long blacks. The grinder and aeropress paid for themselves within a month or two.

Is the aeropress one of those cylinder that slide in a cylinder type thing while sitting on top of the cup? If it is, we had one, still got it somewhere, but do have a look at the ROK "machine". Huge upgrade. They are simply great for making coffee. I know I'm raving about them but we've had ours for over two years now, it comes with us whenever we go camping & there's nothing better (well not much anyway) than waking to pure silence on top of a sand dune out in one of our beautiful deserts & having the best coffee in the camp! Espresso unplugged!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the aeropress one of those cylinder that slide in a cylinder type thing while sitting on top of the cup? If it is, we had one, still got it somewhere, but do have a look at the ROK "machine". Huge upgrade. They are simply great for making coffee. I know I'm raving about them but we've had ours for over two years now, it comes with us whenever we go camping & there's nothing better (well not much anyway) than waking to pure silence on top of a sand dune out in one of our beautiful deserts & having the best coffee in the camp! Espresso unplugged!

Yeah, that's the one.

Thanks for the tip on the ROK. Will look into it.

I want to say segafredo but I'm only guessing
What brand of coffee do they use?
The Cafe is called Valentino's and has the Italian flag behind the name in the sign but they just smiled at me when I asked the type. All very secret squirrel but very good none the less

The Cafe is called Valentino's and has the Italian flag behind the name in the sign but they just smiled at me when I asked the type. All very secret squirrel but very good none the less

Sounds like an Italian flag wardrobe malfunction to me...
coffee-packaging-design-7.jpg

I've been making these at work - double shot with the Aldi coffee machine and their pods (12). Heating the milk in the microwave, then topping it up firstly. With a full cup and then a short. Very nice - good and strong. Looks pretty too. Total cost about 60 cents, which beats the $5 plus for a latte on my side of town

Last edited:
Hey guys. My old Sunbeam espresso machine gave up the ghost last weekend. Like a true warrior it finished making the last cub before emitting a most burny electrical smell.

My question is what are you using for home espresso these days? I liked the old solid steel base model Sunbeams (I've had two now) but they don't make that particular model anymore. Looking for something in the $200-$400 range.

Depends on what you are making with it mostly... do you steam/froth milk too or just need espresso?
Yes to steam/froth milk. I am a latte sipper from way back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back