List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Dangerfield + Pick 50 for Picks 9, 28 and Dean Gore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
You have to remember that Melbourne isn't a club that players are bending over backwards to play for, so it's unlikely that they'll attract players of reasonable note for the forseeable future, unless it's for monetry purposes. I think players like Brown, Hunt, Smedts, Burbury and Shroeder would appeal to Melbourne given they've shown they can play football at various times without being given much opportunity. They all have talent, and maybe Roos feels he can get the best out of them.

No offence, but I think you are looking at this through very rosy coloured glasses.

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I'd be furious if I was a Melbourne supporter and we traded a pick 3 for 14 plus a couple of peripheral types. It would have to be someone of the calibre of Duncan or Guthrie to get Melbourne interested I think. It's a deal I wouldn't entertain as a Geelong fan.

Exactly my point. The only way Geelong gets their hands on such a low pick is if one of the parties involved in the trade is incredibly stupid. Melbourne supporters would, as you point out, be rightly furious if their club wasted pick 3 on a couple fringe players and a high first-round selection, and we simply cannot afford to lose the calibre of player we would need to part with (Motlop, Guthrie or Duncan) for Melbourne to consider a trade.

You have to remember that Melbourne isn't a club that players are bending over backwards to play for, so it's unlikely that they'll attract players of reasonable note for the forseeable future, unless it's for monetry purposes. I think players like Brown, Hunt, Smedts, Burbury and Shroeder would appeal to Melbourne given they've shown they can play football at various times without being given much opportunity. They all have talent, and maybe Roos feels he can get the best out of them.
They traded pick 2 and pick 20 for Dom Tyson and pick 9 last year. Pick 3 for Pick 14 and any of the players you've mentioned seems pretty inadequate by that standard.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Exactly my point. The only way Geelong gets their hands on such a low pick is if one of the parties involved in the trade is incredibly stupid. Melbourne supporters would, as you point out, be rightly furious if their club wasted pick 3 on a couple fringe players and a high first-round selection, and we simply cannot afford to lose the calibre of player we would need to part with (Motlop, Guthrie or Duncan) for Melbourne to consider a trade.

Our only chance of a successful trade for Dangerfield is if either -

1) we deal directly with Adelaide assuming Dangerfield nominates us and us only. We may get him for unders if AFC are concerned about losing him for less next year.

2) We use a third party and are prepared to give up something of value. There's no compulsion for Melbourne or any other club to deal a high pick for us for anything less than an equitable deal. Unless the club is prepared to trade player/s that most supporters would be upset in losing, I can't see this being a realistic option.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
They traded pick 2 and pick 20 for Dom Tyson and pick 9 last year. Pick 3 for Pick 14 and any of the players you've mentioned seems pretty inadequate by that standard.
I hear you Jes
P2 for Tyson
P20 for P9

Sort of like
P3 for player X and player Y
P22 for P14

The question for Melb I guess is does a couple of solids equal a possible gun /possible solid and how long will he take> Roos has two years to get them competitive.

Anyway, I thought this article to be interesting. Is there something in this that others see as well?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-22/door-ajar-for-paddy-trade

Wouldn't he be steadfast to indicate he'd be furious if offered for trade, if he seriously wants to remain at the club.
Couple of ways of looking at it:

1. if he can tolerate the speculation, delay will only serve to push up his value if he keeps several parties interested in him (e.g Travis Cloke); OR

2. he's genuinely undecided or even keen to move and being non-committal publicly is merely being honest (ala Gaz, Buddy).

Let's hope it's the latter.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Couple of ways of looking at it:

1. if he can tolerate the speculation, delay will only serve to push up his value if he keeps several parties interested in him (e.g Travis Cloke); OR

2. he's genuinely undecided or even keen to move and being non-committal publicly is merely being honest (ala Gaz, Buddy).

Let's hope it's the latter.

Few funny buggers being played by both Dangerfield and Riccuito. Hard to know what the motivation for them was or whether they were naive to the speculation that would arise from them? Either way, it's a little bizarre.

This is a great development. Surely the fact the crows are pretty much shopping him around shows they think he's gone next year if not this year. No need to do anything stupid and pay over the odds now. We're still best off waiting until next year and snagging him then. We'd be up to our ears in him too.

The issue with waiting is that if AFC do get the Jake and Neverland Pirates Treaure offer of all time, then they will take it and trade him out. ( pending his acceptance… which presuming that he wants to leave AFC adequately compensated,) So we'd need to be perhaps paying more to secure now than waiting to pay less later and getting the big goose egg.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GFrost

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
There will be clubs that can offer better in trade this year.
There will be clubs that can offer better in money next year.

Just have a red hot crack this year and a red hot crack next year.

I've got a feeling it might sit better with Danger to get traded. Getting something better for his club might make the walking out easier.

Dangerfield came across as an immature flog on the brownlow medal coverage.
Came across as :drunk:. He's much nicer than that from my experiences.

Better than other types of drunken behaviour ala violence.

I'll probably say this for the last time but we're trying to gain a high draft pick to possibly use in a trade with the Crows.

Our first round draft pick and two players are being touted in a deal with another club to secure one of the top 3 picks in the draft.

If Melbourne wanted to trade the Frawley pick 3 they could get better players from GWS for it (as with the Tyson trade) than Murdoch or Horlin Smith

We are not getting pick 3 without offering players of the Duncan/Christensen level, which we won't (that would be very stupid)

Jimmy Yamazaki

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Not paying them a million a year though and giving up 2 draft picks and 2 young players.

What are you talking about? Have we already traded him in already have we?

And really who cares what he does? As long as it doesn't effect the club or his on field performance (which it clearly hasn't in either case)

Dangerfield came across as an immature flog on the brownlow medal coverage.
He came across as a smart arse who was a few beers in.
I have no issue with it at all, people seem so precious about footballers... they aren't gods they are footballers... generally not the sharpest tools in the shed.
He is a gun on the field and not a bad boy off it... and would make us a better team instantly

If Melbourne wanted to trade the Frawley pick 3 they could get better players from GWS for it (as with the Tyson trade) than Murdoch or Horlin Smith

We are not getting pick 3 without offering players of the Duncan/Christensen level, which we won't (that would be very stupid)
I was merely stating what we're trying to achieve. 2 players were mentioned without actually indicating who they were, it was speculative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back