List Mgmt. 2015 ruckmen

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 27, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
I'm currently on holidays in SA and was reading an article in the paper today which mentioned Baulderstone as a potential draft prospect (he has been invited to the state screening in the lead up to the ND), but Ben Warren (Norwood's coach) mentioned him as being an ideal #2 ruck at AFL level. The coach rates him highly but not as a #1 ruck at the top level (at this stage), so that is something we may have to keep in mind in wanting Wells to call his name out at the ND.
I watched him play in the SANFL GF, and from what I saw I don't think that he'll be able to help address our ruck woes.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
If he goes to Brisbane, why not chase/dangle the carrot in front of Leuenberger? Personally either him or Giles would be a handy inclusion for us. Both currently 26, turning 27 in 2015. While Lowden is 23, turning 24 next year. We can't go on with Hmac and Simpson as the only two options, there are enough concerns over their longevity.

Port could definitely require Ryder. If Lobbe got injured at any point this season then just like Geelong it would have been curtains.

Leuenberger's durability is a concern. Giles for me. Would cost far less than Leuenberger in a trade.

Leuenberger's durability is a concern. Giles for me. Would cost far less than Leuenberger in a trade.
You're probably right. Giles will be cheaper and arguably more gettable. The case for Leuenberger would be that in his first 3 seasons he was competing with Charman which resulted in 9, 10 and 3 games respectively. Then once becoming first banana he has had tallies of 22, 22, 3, 20 and 5 games.

Those three season where he has played 20+ games has resulted in average hit outs of 21, 33 and 30. Combined with average disposals of 15, 15 and 13. I daresay (without checking) that would be better than Giles and possibly our current ruck options. Has had problems this season with Achilles but so did Andrew Swallow. Would still regard him as more durable than our current two options.

If you gave me an option between him and Giles, I'd tentatively say Giles but wouldn't be upset if the club pursued Leuenberger. He has the talent and a good five or six years left in him.

Oh my bad...Restricted? I thought he signed a 2 year deal in 2012?

He is contracted for another 2 years apparently.

If he was FA it would be fine, but trade will cost too much.

Gotta say, having looked at his stats, I'm not convinced that Giles would be a substantial upgrade on McIntosh. If he has a substantially better mobility it's not really showing up - both his career and season averages are basically the same as Hmac, or noticeably worse.

Gotta say, having looked at his stats, I'm not convinced that Giles would be a substantial upgrade on McIntosh. If he has a substantially better mobility it's not really showing up - both his career and season averages are basically the same as Hmac, or noticeably worse.

He does well when he rucks solo as a pose to 2nd ruck

Durability is the main appeal with him though.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Are we saying now doing a deal for coke and taking a selfie on a pole are equal offenses? Both dumb and stupid for sure but there has to be a difference there. Same for Stringer going the biff vs Caddt putting in a ski mask and being .. well dumb….

Go Catters

I'm not no. But if you're talking dumb things done by players all qualify.

The point is, supporters who think Geelong players live on a higher plane morally are deluded. They're footballers just like at any other club and from time to time young men WILL stuff up.

I'm not no. But if you're talking dumb things done by players all qualify.

The point is, supporters who think Geelong players live on a higher plane morally are deluded. They're footballers just like at any other club and from time to time young men WILL stuff up.

Great post. Yes they will. Id luv to see the supporters with the morally higher plane condense their years 21 - 30 and show us how they never did anything mildly irresponsible or be socially questionable.

Insert double standard gif here...

Go Catters

He does well when he rucks solo as a pose to 2nd ruck

Durability is the main appeal with him though.
But he presumably wouldn't be rucking solo at Geelong - and even in his best year for GWS his stat line was only marginally better than McIntosh, and he played one more game that season. He's obviously also younger but that seems a very marginal improvement to be giving up a first round pick for.

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
You're probably right. Giles will be cheaper and arguably more gettable. The case for Leuenberger would be that in his first 3 seasons he was competing with Charman which resulted in 9, 10 and 3 games respectively. Then once becoming first banana he has had tallies of 22, 22, 3, 20 and 5 games.

Those three season where he has played 20+ games has resulted in average hit outs of 21, 33 and 30. Combined with average disposals of 15, 15 and 13. I daresay (without checking) that would be better than Giles and possibly our current ruck options. Has had problems this season with Achilles but so did Andrew Swallow. Would still regard him as more durable than our current two options.

If you gave me an option between him and Giles, I'd tentatively say Giles but wouldn't be upset if the club pursued Leuenberger. He has the talent and a good five or six years left in him.
Matt is without doubt 1 of the best rucks in the league but consider the fact he has been extremely injury prone.. o_O

Bobby_ he is fine, as in light for such a tall man; commented on that to Bris supporters who told me that rucks cannot/should not carry weight *shrugs*

GHS33

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong

Spot on, McIntosh is better than Giles. I'd also prefer both Jon Griffin and Ben McEvoy to Giles, but if we're going to trade for a ruckman then I'd want it to be someone who will have a genuine influence, not just another battler that averages 10 disposals and 1 mark a game like Giles has for the past two years.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
But he presumably wouldn't be rucking solo at Geelong - and even in his best year for GWS his stat line was only marginally better than McIntosh, and he played one more game that season. He's obviously also younger but that seems a very marginal improvement to be giving up a first round pick for.

You'd hope we wouldn't be that stupid to offer a first round pick for Giles. I mean I know we have a reputation for being easy to deal with come trade time but if we did that we would have a stampede of list managers wanting to deal with us!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cynical

Cancelled
Dec 18, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
someone like Giles isn't worth much, we aren't in flag mode like we were with HMac so even a second rounder isn't worth it for a guy like that

when you don't have a team that is good enough for a flag you want players who will increase in value over the long-term

better off hoping HMac or Simpson come good and pick up some bush leaguer for nothing who is younger and has some upside

we don't need to be topping up just so we can make finals

someone like Giles isn't worth much, we aren't in flag mode like we were with HMac so even a second rounder isn't worth it for a guy like that

when you don't have a team that is good enough for a flag you want players who will increase in value over the long-term

better off hoping HMac or Simpson come good and pick up some bush leaguer for nothing who is younger and has some upside

we don't need to be topping up just so we can make finals
Agree.
Hope that applies also to the notion of getting a 30 yo (next April) Will Minson.
Adding him to the 30yo HMc, just does not feel right for a Geelong team to do.

Jon Douglas

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure on HMac's contract status - but he will never be a long term player for us and I cannot see us bridging the gap next season with the top 4 teams. So keeping Hmac seems a bit pointless to me - and would prefer to use his position and pay to get someone else in. Just maybe we get another project ruckman or one from another club - just have Simpson, Vardy, Blitz, the young Irishman and ONE other on the list next season - and hopefully we can make some improvement in an area we have been poor and has hurt us. Try them out - what we have been doing has not helped so far.

Not sure on HMac's contract status - but he will never be a long term player for us and I cannot see us bridging the gap next season with the top 4 teams. So keeping Hmac seems a bit pointless to me - and would prefer to use his position and pay to get someone else in. Just maybe we get another project ruckman or one from another club - just have Simpson, Vardy, Blitz, the young Irishman and ONE other on the list next season - and hopefully we can make some improvement in an area we have been poor and has hurt us. Try them out - what we have been doing has not helped so far.

Dont disagree with the Hmac long term statement but if we cut him we still have to pay I understand. Only lose the SC hit if HE retires and you'd be asking him to take a probably 300k plus hit to do that.

One thing of the body just does not have it anymore but if he thinks he can make 18 games he'd probably do it.

And with Daws up in the air.. could be trouble…

GO Catters

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
H-Mac did pretty well looking @ the season overall, his failure to compete in all games was probably always going to b an issue..

More worrying 4 me is Daws, he did produce some good skills but also had probs elsewhere, one example was an inability to run with opps rucks..

I also question whether the driving misdemeanor was a result of a poor prognosis from the Doc regarding his back; totally stupid n reckless as it was, may semi excuse the frustration of yet another setback/possible end of your career :(

That being said, I had stated elsewhere I do believe drafting/trading/buying..? a ruck this year is a must.. hoping that 1 of the better options already mentioned by posters in a position to know are acquirable..

Catsmaninamerica

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Cloud break
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cricket, Surfing
For those musing about mark Blake- it won't be him. Neil Balme this week was overheard by a close mate of mine refer to him as "that utensil head" Mark Blake. He is apparently hated within the footy club. The decision to not give him his 100th game and this life membership was a calculated and deliberate one. He is apparently a sook, and bitches about everyone and everywhere he's played footy- the worlds out to get him.

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
For those musing about mark Blake- it won't be him. Neil Balme this week was overheard by a close mate of mine refer to him as "that utensil head" Mark Blake. He is apparently hated within the footy club. The decision to not give him his 100th game and this life membership was a calculated and deliberate one. He is apparently a sook, and bitches about everyone and everywhere he's played footy- the worlds out to get him.

Well, let's just hope he doesn't have a son who ends up any good.

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS

Turns out he was right

Not at all the impression I got when happened to be able to speak to a former Cat, who said only good things about Blake, that he was a late developer in most capacities, and that he was very hard done by, and that his footy had really taken off.
And anything from Balme's mouth is like sewage before it's been through treatment and desalination.

Last edited:
Dont disagree with the Hmac long term statement but if we cut him we still have to pay I understand. Only lose the SC hit if HE retires and you'd be asking him to take a probably 300k plus hit to do that.

One thing of the body just does not have it anymore but if he thinks he can make 18 games he'd probably do it.

And with Daws up in the air.. could be trouble…

GO Catters
If you're going to have to include his salary for 2015 in the cap, you might as well keep him. At least that way there is a chance however minute that he could earn his salary, or some of it at least. Cutting him and you're just throwing money away.

Also in light of the Franklin - Sydney deal, I thought they were told by the afl that if he retired before the end of the contract they'd still have to include the remainder in the SC for the relevant years. Surely that's the case for all clubs.

Catsmaninamerica

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Cloud break
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cricket, Surfing
Rucks will be ok now, for the first time since '10. Clark is an AA quality ruckman. Stanley is gonna play ruck. Mcintosh will be 3rd in line, and Blitz wont even get the chance to ruck hopefully. What we need is a genuine hard nut mid with pace to replace Bundy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back