Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Ain't that the truth. Disney and Universal are great for aesthetics but if you want thrills Six Flags and Cedar Parks are the go.

Yeah guess I should've specified that, just when people say they're going to LA for theme parks it usually means disney and universal.

Anybody done a day trip from NYC to Boston? Worth it?
Im not doing a day trip, but I'll be in Boston on Sunday, for 2 days.
So I can tell you then.

Anybody done a day trip from NYC to Boston? Worth it?

Yes - done it last yeah. Well worth it. We did the Boston Freedom Trail Tour from NYC. It was excellent and well worth it.

If we did it again, I would get the train and then get the hop on hop off tour and find my way round but the tour we did was still good.

Except the tour guide who started talking about the Amish for about 35 minutes on the way back into NYC.

Any recommendations on the best ways to get from airports in LA to accommodation?
Also any recommendations on good affordable accommodation in NYC? And in LA?

Last week I had two short separate stays, Hotel Stanford and Park Savoy in Manhattan.

Both reasonably good cost wise for the location. Hotel Stanford was the better one IMO, more modern, better room, 2-5min walk from Penn Station so easy to get to anywhere via transport. Also very very close to MSG, Empire State Building and Macy's if you're a shopaholic.

Going next month!

7 nights in Los Angeles
3 nights in San Diego
4 nights in Las Vegas
3 nights in Chicago
2 nights in Orlando
3 nights in Miami
3 nights in Washington
10 nights in New York

What I have tickets for already -

Sports -
8 NHL Games
4 NBA Games (1 pre-season, 3 season proper)
1 NFL Game

Misc -
6 Gigs
2 Broadway Shows
Nick Offerman Comedy Show
Connan O'Brien

Pretty jam packed iten. Super excited.

Any suggestions for things to do in San Diego? It's the only where I don't have any real solid concrete plans other then see Seaworld/The Zoo. Thinking I might take it easy there.

What's the deal with Uber? Easy to use/affordable?

Last edited:
Any recommendations on the best ways to get from airports in LA to accommodation?

I stayed at a hotel called "Grace Mates Hotel" in NYC. It's literally 30 seconds from Times Square so if you're keen to be in the heart of all that madness, I'd recommend it. It's a pretty new hotel, only been there for a year or two. Nothing overly fancy but still a good hotel with good service

Got an underground swimming pool with swim up bar which has parties every weekend as well. Was pretty damn cheap when we went and we went over Christmas last year.

Going next month!

Any suggestions for things to do in San Diego? It's the only where I don't have any real solid concrete plans other then see Seaworld/The Zoo. Thinking I might take it easy there.

San Diego's awesome man. Great party scene

We went clubbing on a Wednesday night and it went off. Stingaree was the best club from memory, do recommend

The Zoo was a bit overrated for mine. Most of the animals where doing sweet nothing which is nothing new I guess. Also was raining the day we went and was super hungover so that might be why I didn't enjoy it

airbnb.com is you're friend, especially in New York. Cheaper and better than hotels

airbnb.com is you're friend, especially in New York. Cheaper and better than hotels
Airbnb is currently illegal in Manhattan. I found out after I booked 9 nights there for December.

Though we booked before the law came out (I'm fairly sure) so I'm not sure about what the deal is with honouring agreements or whatnot.

Just a warning!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Righto folks, I have one for you.

I've purchased tickets to a few sporting events so far... though you can never have enough. I've paid decent amounts of money so far way out in advance... with ticketmaster and StubHub, so I'm wondering how cheap tickets can get.

Has anyone got any experience purchasing tickets to events the day, or hell, the hour of a game on sites like StubHub? Would it be worth holding out on seats to teams I don't care so much about so that I can snag a bargain? December travels, if it helps!

Righto folks, I have one for you.

I've purchased tickets to a few sporting events so far... though you can never have enough. I've paid decent amounts of money so far way out in advance... with ticketmaster and StubHub, so I'm wondering how cheap tickets can get.

Has anyone got any experience purchasing tickets to events the day, or hell, the hour of a game on sites like StubHub? Would it be worth holding out on seats to teams I don't care so much about so that I can snag a bargain? December travels, if it helps!

Obviously depends on the games you are looking at but for run of the mill games you can usually snag seats late on the cheap. I'm talking NBA here, never tried for NHL and think it would be tough for NFL.

I'm meeting up with my friend in LA in mid-to-late February and we're going to do a 4-month road-trip.

We're going to drive up the west coast through Cali, Oregon and Washington into Canada. From there we haven't worked it out too much as he's already on his travels and I'm at Uni/working pretty much full-time so we haven't really planned too much after that. But yeah, basically, we intend on driving the entire time and spending as much time in each City as possible.

The only huge expense we're going to have is tickets for NBA games. He's a Lakers supporter, I'm a Rockets man so we're hoping to see our teams at least twice plus hopefully the Bulls, Celtics and Knicks.

The west coast of the US interests me the most, especially Oregon/Washington. So much great scenery and hiking opportunities.

NERDY what's your visa situation if you're doing a 4-month trip in US? Or are you already living over there?
You can get a 5 year B1/B2 visa which permits you to stay in the US for 6 months at a time over the 5 year period but you have to do a visa run every 6 months ( not to Canada or Mexico).

But disclaimer - it is a tourist visa so if you abuse it (subjective) you will lose it.

Happy to explain off-line.

You can get a 5 year B1/B2 visa which permits you to stay in the US for 6 months at a time over the 5 year period but you have to do a visa run every 6 months ( not to Canada or Mexico).

But disclaimer - it is a tourist visa so if you abuse it (subjective) you will lose it.

Happy to explain off-line.

Cheers, I only knew about the standard 90-day one under Visa Waiver Program and hadn't heard of that one. No need for further explanation as it will be many years before I'm in a position for any lengthy US trips :(.

Cheers, I only knew about the standard 90-day one under Visa Waiver Program and hadn't heard of that one. No need for further explanation as it will be many years before I'm in a position for any lengthy US trips :(.
Unfortunately the AUD has gone south over the last 18 months re USD, but if you get to live here (US) while on an extended vacation you will find the cost of living and travel will be a lot cheaper than similar in Oz .

Anyway, good luck for future US trips.

Last edited:
Lots of that in British Columbia too so hopefully you save some time to check it out around here. Sounds like a fun trip!

Yup, for sure.

Stops in Vancouver and Banff National Park are on the list.

NERDY what's your visa situation if you're doing a 4-month trip in US? Or are you already living over there?

Well I don't really know how it works in regards to staying longer than 3 months. I assume we'll be on the west coast for 2-3 weeks before heading into Canada for another 2-3 so when we come back into the US we'll be in for less than 3 months. So that kinda makes 4 months.

I gotta figure it all out with my friend. But basically I plan on leaving in mid-February and being back in mid-to-late June. Maybe even early-July.

Yup, for sure.

Well I don't really know how it works in regards to staying longer than 3 months. I assume we'll be on the west coast for 2-3 weeks before heading into Canada for another 2-3 so when we come back into the US we'll be in for less than 3 months. So that kinda makes 4 months.

I gotta figure it all out with my friend. But basically I plan on leaving in mid-February and being back in mid-to-late June. Maybe even early-July.
You can't extend the usual 3 month US tourist by visiting any contiguous country such as Canada or Mexico. Also see my post above.

Yup, for sure.

For US visas - see my post above as a general heads-up.

In the last 4 years since I retired out of Houston TX have driven over 120,000 miles thru the States and am just scratching the surface. Re US scenery (not cities) - Yellowstone NP is awesome. Yosemite is great. Lake Tahoe is wonderful. Black Hills and Mt Rushmore in South Dakota. Upper Mrs Sippi Valley in Minnesota/Wisconsin. Amish country in Ohio. Hudson Valley in New York state. Upper Michigan on the Lakes. Western side of Florida around Appalachicola with oysters at the bars shucked fresh in front of you at $7.00 a dozen. Natchez Traceway from Natchez Mississippi to Nashville Tennessee. Blue Ridge Parkway from east of Atlanta to west of DC. Highway 1 from SF to Portland Oregon. Ouray in Colorado. Utah snowfields. New England and Maine coast. Upper Idaho at Coeur d'Alaine. Tennessee Valley area from Asheville North Carolina thru Florence Alabama and then thru Tupelo Mississippi (Elvis's birthplace) and then down thru the Mississippi delta blues area and the small towns such as Indianola (BB King) and Leland with the Black radio stations playing quintessential non-commercial 12 bar blues in the steamy Southern heat; eating hominy grits and biscuits for breakfast and shootin' the breeze with the locals. Kentucky and Tennessee in the Appalachians - I lived for many years in south east Texas and worked with Cajuns from Loosiana and other southern states, but got right baffled by the Kaintuck dialect of the mountain folk.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back