Non-Lions Footy Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just a heads up on the grand final; beteasy are offering free $50 bets on the game for all markets (no deposit or bank info needed). All you have to do is download the mobile app and sign up. I've used my missus to devise a plan to make some quick cashola.
We've put our free 50 on:

Me: Syd -24.5 @3.30
Missus: Syd +24.5 @2.85

Just need a Sydney win and the total return will either be $115 or $92.5 depending on the margin. As we will split the profit I'm basically getting a free $57.50 or 41.25 as long as Sydney win.

Happy punting and go Swans.

Just a heads up on the grand final; beteasy are offering free $50 bets on the game for all markets (no deposit or bank info needed). All you have to do is download the mobile app and sign up. I've used my missus to devise a plan to make some quick cashola.
We've put our free 50 on:

Me: Syd -24.5 @3.30
Missus: Syd +24.5 @2.85

Just need a Sydney win and the total return will either be $115 or $92.5 depending on the margin. As we will split the profit I'm basically getting a free $57.50 or 41.25 as long as Sydney win.

Happy punting and go Swans.
It's hard to go past the Hawks at that price. They won their last match-up for a reason - Sydney were beaten at their own game.

Agreed. Spoke beautifully. Good luck to him.quiet achiever.

Yes...and instead of hanging around this morning for all the obligatory interviews, photos etc, he left at 8am to fly straight home to share the moment with his wife. Aww:hearts:

..now that is a keeper!

p.s...heard on SEN last night that he is the only Rookie since the Rookie system started, to have won the Brownlow.

Last edited:
While my enthusiasm levels for the upcoming Grand Final haven't quite plummeted to 2010 levels, I'm still well and truly ensconced in "meh" territory.

Anyhoo... car norks.
I think it's a fitting finale to the afl's own annus horribillis, the Cola's v the Priority Picks - if ever you wanted an example of interference in a system at its finest here it is. And then there is Melbourne - through bad luck and average drafting amongst other things they must just shake their heads. Just need Stephen Dank to toss the coin and Tom Jones to drop the strides mid performance and it will have had it all.

Sydney v Hawthorn was almost a lock from the halfway point of the season. Given their "superpower" status (which for neither club looks like waning anytime soon), these two could dominate the GF landscape for a few more years yet. Freo and Port will remain strong so even the top four could stay boringly predictable for years.

This is part of the problem. The gulf between the "haves" and the "have nots" seems to be widening with FA only exacerbating the situation. The trend is already entrenched, with the Free Agents almost universally wanting to go to "good" clubs who give them a shot of a Premiership medal.

The gulf between the "haves" and the "have nots" seems to be widening with FA only exacerbating the situation. The trend is already entrenched, with the Free Agents almost universally wanting to go to "good" clubs who give them a shot of a Premiership medal.

And unfortunately for us, we couldn't have bottomed out at a worst possible time in the history of the VFL/AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And unfortunately for us, we couldn't have bottomed out at a worst possible time in the history of the VFL/AFL.

It's a great pity FA wasn't alive and well in 2005.

We could have topped up almost indefinitely and remained a superpower until who knows when.

Instead, we got removal of our Retention Allowance, priority picks galore to the likes of Hawthorn , Carlton and Melbourne, followed closely by GC and GWS soaking up most of all the meaningful early draft picks just when the likes of us could really have used a gun or to keep us out of the shyte.

I'm still very keen for GF day, always a treat, but the game itself I'm also a bit meh about. I enjoy watching the Hawks play most of the time but like Luthor said, it was essentially locked in since mid-way through the year. After the upsets in the finals it all seems to have come to a dull and predictable head.

Still, 2012 was a cracker and I doubt I'll be worried come the bounce.

Still love GF day, whilst it would have been good for a different flavour, it should be a cracking game. We always make a day out of it, decorate in the team colours and what not.

Cant wait, bigger than Christmas for me.

Still love GF day, whilst it would have been good for a different flavour, it should be a cracking game. We always make a day out of it, decorate in the team colours and what not.

Cant wait, bigger than Christmas for me.
I always wear my Lions guernsey (copping the "They're not playing" comments.
Like Christmas celebrates (I dunno, something about christ), GF day to me is a celebration of footy and the time we held the cup up for the 3rd year in a row,
Lionsmas Day if you will.
I'm usually away on holiday at this time of year (every year as far back as I can remember) but not this year. If we go to Vic, the wife's rellies have about 20+ people around, and the last couple of years in Townsville I have a great customer who happens to be a Lions fan and we've had a BBQ at his football/school mate's (same age thereabouts as me).
This year I'll be home and probably the only one in the house who cares enough to watch. That'll take the fun out of it somewhat.:(

I'll be cheering myself hoarse for Hawthorn.

The circumstances are so clearly unfair. One team's star player lured away on a huge contract by a team with an extra 10% in the salary cap, and then they play off in the grand final.

If Sydney are premiers on Saturday evening I will have a bitter taste in my mouth that I suspect will never fully go away.

Can we stop whinging about Sydney? It's getting really tiresome.

It doesn't feel like this thread has been dominated by 'whinging about Sydney'.

The obvious unfairness of it all is front of my mind for me this week. It might not be for you, but I reckon it's worth discussing, even if you find it tiresome.

It doesn't feel like this thread has been dominated by 'whinging about Sydney'.

The obvious unfairness of it all is front of my mind for me this week. It might not be for you, but I reckon it's worth discussing, even if you find it tiresome.
Wasn't having a specific dig at you(it's not even this thread). This whole site has done the Sydney thing to death, and then done it again.
Discuss away- it's all been discussed before.

I feel that to complain about Sydney's COLA in relation to them winning, is like admitting the unfairness of our own retention allowance and Premiership success.
I'd rather not see other teams winning Premierships in a row. Hawks into their 3rd consecutive GF is bad enough without stringing the wins together.

Time to see some new teams at the top.

Geelong, Sydney, Hawthorn all need to fall!

Yeah, I'd find it easier to get excited if Port Adelaide or someone had gotten through.

I feel that to complain about Sydney's COLA in relation to them winning, is like admitting the unfairness of our own retention allowance and Premiership success.

Well then let's admit it! My view on the COLA doesn't change my pride in the 01-03 team. I'd be surprised if it changed anyone else's feelings.

There are some pretty obvious differences in the size of the allowances, and more importantly in the way in which they've been used, but I reckon it becomes more clear as time goes on that extra salary cap space isn't an effective way to make up any institutional disadvantages between teams in heartland and non-heartland states.

Extra cap space seems to have a disproportionate impact: the more successful you are, the more attractive you are to elite players, therefore the easier it is to leverage extra cap space to recruit and retain players. For us, it made it much easier to retain the great players we'd drafted in the 90s. We don't know what the impact would've been if we'd had $300k less to spend on salaries. Maybe it simply would've meant we couldn't afford Caracella in 2003. No great loss.

As we're discovering now, having space in your salary cap isn't always useful when you're a struggling team: if we had the same 9.8% bonus the Swans do we probably couldn't even spend it, let alone leverage it into premiership success.

There's enough evidence built up now to tell us that salary cap allowances are not a good way to drive equalisation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back