List Mgmt. Dan Gorringe requests trade to Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep Gorringe signed until end of 2015 last September. That means we will have to pay overs.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-06/sun-gorringe-resigns
GOLD Coast have re-signed 21-year-old Daniel Gorringe, extending his contract until the end of 2015.

Gorringe has had a difficult three seasons with the club, being limited to just 19 games after a long-term Achilles injury.

Taken with the 10th pick of the 2010 National Draft, Gorringe resisted the temptation to return home, despite enquiries from both South Australian clubs.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-06/sun-gorringe-resigns

We rate Lobbe highly here, but he isn't an 'outstanding' ruckman and glaringly irreplacable (and personally I think Jacobs is a fair bit better), so maybe he believes he could come in and replace Lobbe one day a lot easier than Jacobs.

Fingers crossed he is cheap. A talented junior ruck developing in a training environment V Ryder, Lobbe & Redden could develop super quick.

I think the opposite, people are really underrating him. He was in AA discussions until about 2/3 of the way through the season. Sure he flourished a bit being the only ruck, but I really think having a Ryder in the team to chop him out will see him lift another gear.
I rate Jacobs quite highly, his outside work is great, but Lobbe's tackling and clearance pressure is outstanding and really something that our midfield needs given how our mids need to spread so quickly from the contest.

Hinkley is not disappointing you. Although it looks like we won't be in the draft til about pick 50 so this superdraft for talls which was the original impetus for the idea is becoming largely irrelevant!

I think trading out of a so called super draft isn't a bad idea. They tend to be overhyped and you will get great value for your pics.

I think the opposite, people are really underrating him. He was in AA discussions until about 2/3 of the way through the season. Sure he flourished a bit being the only ruck, but I really think having a Ryder in the team to chop him out will see him lift another gear.
I rate Jacobs quite highly, his outside work is great, but Lobbe's tackling and clearance pressure is outstanding and really something that our midfield needs given how our mids need to spread so quickly from the contest.
Fair enough, I agree that his clearance work is good, but I think he was very lucky to be talked about in AA talk. I know I personally disagreed with that talk. Once he starts clunking some marks around the ground then I'll put him up in the elite category. Until then for mine he is a workhorse, a quality ruckman, but still a workhorse.

Confirmed wanting to come to Port?
Wants to come home to SA, Port is his preference if we can get the deal done but his manager didn't rule out the crows.

He is still contracted to GC, so using Essendon logic he will cost us Boak + Gray + Pick 16.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Seems like an odd trade if we're getting Ryder and expecting Lobbe and Redden to be fit, but i'm all for more talls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably right but I'd prefer Gorringe.

with all the injuries he has I am not sure...

in his first 2 years he has had Hamstrings, ankle and Achilles injuries which have destroyed his seasons and we don't want 2 ruckmen (the 2nd being Redden) taking time to get their bodies right

Lowden is slightly older, slightly taller .. but has a more healthier body

Lobbe will only get better too is he even 25 yet? has his best years ahead of him

I think trading out of a so called super draft isn't a bad idea. They tend to be overhyped and you will get great value for your pics.
It's also meant to be a superdraft for talls. The last two rucks who were hyped as the greatest thing since sliced bread as no 1 picks were Kreuzer and Fraser, both of them good on their day but overall seriously underwhelming.

Doesnt take long for your depth to be tested, as this year showed. I think there is probably no need for Gorringe AND Lowden, but certainly one is a neccesarry recruit. In the end Gorringe is younger, has more exposed form and is arguably more flexible than Lowden is. Whoever we get i'll be pretty happy with.

In 2001 we traded for Damien Hardwick for picks 31 and 47. He was probably worth more but Essendon had to cut their list because of salary cap pressure. The same may be applying in the case of Gorringe and GCS. Gorringe was an early pick while Hardwick was 87 but Hardwick was a proven player while Gorringe has played 20 games in 4 years.

those were the days. essendon had been rorting the salary cap for years back then. when the AFL gave notice that they were starting to take the salary cap seriously - all of a sudden the bombers were struggling big time to keep themselves under the cap and had to offload a number of players. hardwick in '01, caracella, blumfield and heffernan in '02. essendon never recovered and caracella and hardwick went on to win flags at brisbane and port respectively.

even then, the dons were still trying to find ways around the cap (hirdy has to get paid, as we all know). they paid hird and lloyd $50k each to 'buy' the domain names jameshird.com.au and mattlloyd.com.au from them. hird's never even had a website on it.

it seems the bombers don't do so well whenever they aren't allowed to cheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back