Brisbane's lack of success..

Remove this Banner Ad

proka123

All Australian
Apr 6, 2009
Moe
AFL Club
Melbourne
Over the past decade, seems to have gone unnoticed.

They've appeared in finals only once since the beginning of the 2005 season, the lowest participation rate of any team in that time-frame if you exclude the expansion clubs obviously.

Geelong 9
Sydney 9
Collingwood 8
Hawthorn 7
St.Kilda 6
Adelaide 6
West Coast 5
Fremantle 5
Western Bulldogs 4
Port Adelaide 4
North Melbourne 4
Carlton 4
Essendon 3
Melbourne 2
Richmond 2
Brisbane 1

Melbourne and Richmond have been bashed repeatedly for their lack of finals success over recent years and rightfully so (although the Tiges have come home with a wet sail of late). Yet the Lions have escaped similar scrutiny, why is this so? Surely being based in Queensland can't shelter all of the negative attention.

Does anyone believe Brisbane will make the 8 next year, if not then when?

Failed judgement of the list in 08 cost them dearly

yeah i presume thats the year they got Fev and about 5-6 other recycled recruits (raines etc). All went to crap that year onwards and also was the beginning of the end of Voss.

Rebuild started with Voss's last few years, again lost a few youngsters who went home and under leppa the rebuid continues. got some good young kids but worried about 25yr olds+

It's been tough being a brisbane supporter for the past 10 years. That's for sure.... hopefully in 2 years we will at least be a top 8 contention.

A lot of reasons as to why

We had basically the same team over a number of seasons, which mind you netted us some success... But poor drafting over this period led to an obvious decline in performance when all of our premiership players retired.

Misjudging the position of our list after making the finals in 2009, the logic was to be a contender whilst Brown, Black, and Power where still playing decent footy. This obviously back fired at a bad time as it meant we bottomed out at a time with all the draft concessions for the expansion clubs & Melbourne.

Multiple inept board and administration decisions. Recent appointments of G. Swann and Lethal Leigh will hopefully offset for the future.

Go home factor has been well documented, early signs are that we have done well with last years draft which will hopefully put the club in a decent position for the future. It could also be seen as a wake up call for the club as they put more money and resources into player welfare. But it will always be a factor IMO, if it was when we were winning flags and smashing teams every week then I don't see how it won't be a worry for the future.
However in recent years there have been some Queenslanders ask for trades to the Lions (Raines, McGuane, Beams), hopefully this is a recurring theme...

Overall our position shows how much of a joke the Melbourne footy club are, constant leg ups from the AFL and they are still in a dire position. Again this year they may be overcompensated for losing Frawley who is worth nothing near pick 3/4. If any club deserves a priority pick, its Brisbane, however I don't think we require one.

But life goes on..

Finals won't be too far off. We will have a top 8 team within a year or two.

Melbourne supporters eat your heart out, our midfield brigade for next year - Martin, Leuenberger, Rockliff, D.Beams, Rich, Redden, Hanley, Zorko, Mayes, Aish, Taylor, C . Beams

Excluding Martin, Leuenberger is the oldest on that list having recently turned 26 :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They'll be fine. Their midfield has balls and they'll propel the team forward aka WCE of mid 2000's.

All they need is some targets up forward, and they found some likely types end of last year.

I liked how you made it beginning of the 2005 season so that Melbourne would be higher than them.

Lol at melbourne. As hard as its been a lions fan I'm comfy where we sit for the future.

Finals won't be too far off. We will have a top 8 team within a year or two.

Melbourne supporters eat your heart out, our midfield brigade for next year - Martin, Leuenberger, Rockliff, D.Beams, Rich, Redden, Hanley, Zorko, Mayes, Aish, Taylor, C . Beams

Excluding Martin, Leuenberger is the oldest on that list having recently turned 26 :D

Don't know why everyone is turning this into a Melbourne thread, I've already stated that we deserve all the scrutiny we receive, just curious as to why Brisbane haven't been copping it just as much that's all. This isn't a troll.

I wonder why OP didn't use 2007 as the cut-off year.

Umm..doesn't change the fact that they've only made it once in that timeframe. And yes, I am aware that the Dees haven't made the 8 in that time and yes that is a horrible return. Is that what you wanted to hear?

It's been tough being a brisbane supporter for the past 10 years. That's for sure.... hopefully in 2 years we will at least be a top 8 contention.

But the 5 years previous to that would have been ok ;).

Brisbane went all out going for 4 flags. They prioritized winning here and now, instead of development. Who could blame them. Then in 05 & 06 they were crippled by injuries to their champs, who had to retire. This exposed them badly, having to blood a great deal of youngsters who simply were not up to it. Then had to start completely from scratch.

Last edited:
The success they had under Matthews meant that players wanted to stay and the idea of playing in premierships would have overridden homesickness.

They might be losing a few more this year. Showed a bit this year that they may be able to climb up the ladder and Beams would be huge for them.

Over the past decade, seems to have gone unnoticed.

They've appeared in finals only once since the beginning of the 2005 season, the lowest participation rate of any team in that time-frame if you exclude the expansion clubs obviously.

Geelong 9
Sydney 9
Collingwood 8
Hawthorn 7
St.Kilda 6
Adelaide 6
West Coast 5
Fremantle 5
Western Bulldogs 4
Port Adelaide 4
North Melbourne 4
Carlton 4
Essendon 3
Melbourne 2
Richmond 2
Brisbane 1

Melbourne and Richmond have been bashed repeatedly for their lack of finals success over recent years and rightfully so (although the Tiges have come home with a wet sail of late). Yet the Lions have escaped similar scrutiny, why is this so? Surely being based in Queensland can't shelter all of the negative attention.

Does anyone believe Brisbane will make the 8 next year, if not then when?

Lost lots of senior players after premierships and then 4 years later made major trade and draft mistakes. There goes ten years. If you think Voss didn't attract attention during his tenure you must have been asleep with the whole 'Crazy Vossy' line thrown about. The reason they are not under more scrutiny now is because they have a very young list and it is possible to see light at the end of the tunnel, especially if they snag Beams and can develop some of the young key forwards (still big if's but more than possible).

For some teams such as Melbourne there is no light, others such as Carlton are delusional about their list and others such as Richmond while making two final series have yet to sniff a flag for a long time, a pretty poor result for a formerly powerful club.

Umm..doesn't change the fact that they've only made it once in that timeframe. And yes, I am aware that the Dees haven't made the 8 in that time and yes that is a horrible return. Is that what you wanted to hear?

I was just wondering why you chose 2005. It's a long time ago, I'd wager that less than 10% of the players in the AFL right now were on a list in 2005.

There's been plenty of talk about Brisbane's mistakes since the Fev deal, at least from my observations on the main board. The last major controversy was probably the mass exodus in the last off-season that saw five leaving and lots of questions were raised about whether people wanted to play for Brisbane. There's just been no recent news that prompts a re-examination of what people think of the club. Leppitsch is safe, no-one wants out (so far) and it's probably safe to assume Brisbane will hit the draft hard as it is universally acknowledge they are starting a rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back