• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
“We would like to thank Brenton for his contribution and wish him every success.”

The Club is embarking upon a nationwide search for a new Senior Coach.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2014-09-17/crowscoach-part-ways-

I'm glad you keep bringing this up because people aren't getting it.

The whole "having a coach in place" thing when you sack someone just doesn't work in reality. You don't decide you're going to sack someone and then start asking around - there is a 100% chance that it will get back to the current coach if you do that.

Yes, you might happen to stumble across the opportunity to recruit find an awesome coach despite having already having one, and then you might choose to sack your current coach in order to recruit the new guy, but that's not what happened here. What happened here is that we decided our current coach wasn't the guy to take us to a premiership, so we moved him on as quickly and painlessly as possible, and then set about finding the next guy.

Imagine the scenario where we look around for his replacement, don't find anyone special, decide to keep him - and then in January the story leaks out. Then we've got a whole season of a coach who knows his club wants to replace him, and was looking around behind his back... and a whole field of coaches who know they were snubbed. You can't do things that way.

As much as everyone from the media to supporters seems obsessed with painting our sacking of Sando without a replacement immediately stepping up to the plate as some kind of mismanagement, it's actually the only feasible way it could have progressed. It was either this, or retain him, and frankly, if our review showed that he was the wrong guy, then retaining him wasn't an option. We have to back the results of our review in or else there's no point having one, and not having one has been a problem of ours for a long time.

I can't imagine we're going to end up with someone significantly worse than Sando. Perhaps they'll be better. Most likely they'll be roughly as good. Honestly, I don't think the quality of your senior coach matters all that much until you've got the rest of your top guys in place, and at this stage we don't. We need to get our assistants right, and we need to get our administration set up more professionally. In the mean time, perhaps we'll hit on a fantastic new coach, and perhaps we won't. I don't think it'll make much difference over the next two years anyway.

At least we're trying something. Better than sticking with someone that we have already identified isn't going to work, and infinitely better than trying to play both sides of the game by retaining him while actively searching for his replacement.

ManInTheArena

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
This. Nothing the club said indicated that they already had someone in the bag when we sacked Sando.

Classic BigFooty. Make up a bunch of exciting s**t that is improbable and unrealistic, have a circle jerk for two weeks and then burn the club down when it doesn't announce our jizz fest delusion.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 14, 2002
who cares
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
The only issue I have is the timing of Sando sacking. The review has been taking place since June or July as Chapman told us. If this is the case, why wait until mid September to sack the coach? It should have been done 2 weeks earlier which would have given us enough time to appoint a new coach before the trade week.

The timing was off and that is why many of us are wondering if the coach was lined up before hand. While Noble is our list manager and doing a good job, when recruiting players to your club, they want to talk to the coach to see how the coach sees them fitting in and what role they would play. That is difficult to do with no coach. No player we go to a club where they do not really know who the coach is and how they would fit in their plans.

If the coach is not "lined up" then it was absolutely s**t timing by the club. From what I have heard, it sounds like there is no replacement in place and we are embarking on the process to choose from a list of candidates.

I'm glad you keep bringing this up because people aren't getting it.

The whole "having a coach in place" thing when you sack someone just doesn't work in reality. You don't decide you're going to sack someone and then start asking around - there is a 100% chance that it will get back to the current coach if you do that.

Exactly. I don't understand why people don't get it.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
Maybe we really did want Goodwin
Becoming not an outlandish statement. Maybe he was the first go to, but with him signing and Roo knowing he was almost over the line, seems a desperation measure. Worrying at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back