38600 at SANFL GF - Norwood take 30th flag

Norwood1878

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Athelstone Raggies
A South Australian and a hawforn fan. If you're so pissy now, Sunday will be horrendous for anyone within 200m of you !!

I can't for the life of me work out why you feel the need to troll on a thread celebrating South Australian footy....except maybe your boyfriend hasn't been paying you any attention lately.

Norwood1878

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Athelstone Raggies
A reference was made earlier about Norwood not being able to match Central's run of premierships. That's not going to happen. Central has a core group that ran for the duration of their success are they remained virtually unfettered by AFL intrusions, so they were able to start each new season as they left off. As you correctly pointed out, Norwood have had to start each season from the beginning, having to pull together a team from virtual scratch. This season's flag was a miracle when you consider the setbacks (loss of players and coach) and introduction of AFL clubs into the competition. I've seen 8 premierships at Norwood in the 50 years I've supported them. 2014 was the club's finest hour.

Just on the AFL intrusion, I will never understand why the AFL clubs raid Norwood and then have our players running around in reserves competitions all season. This has been happening a lot over the past 4-5 years and it's annoying the hell out of me. If they just want to bolster lists, why not select local kids and play them in the reserves instead? I cannot believe Trent Dumont didn't score at least 1 game for North, and Fuller not getting a game with the Bulldogs was unbelievable.

Spot on AH!.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
I can't for the life of me work out why you feel the need to troll on a thread celebrating South Australian footy....except maybe your boyfriend hasn't been paying you any attention lately.

What can you do. Captain Crap is a Sydney supporter and therefore has no idea whatsoever about the real world. Or perhaps I should play the same juvenile game ... sidnee supporter .... I'm still tingling with the brilliance of the word hawforn .... I wonder if he thought that up all by his little self? But then again, Sydney supporters have 9.8% more s**t for brains than others.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
There should be.

It really can't happen for a number of reasons. The SA landscape is not capable of sustaining a third AFL team. The AFL are currently only focused in developing Australian Rules football in traditional rugby states such as NSW and Queensland. They think a string of premierships in these states will suddenly see a change in attitude in the north eastern regions. They will, or course, realize their folly only when it is too late.

By ignoring the development of footy in SA, WA, Tasmania, and even Victoria, they could kill the goose that lays the golden egg. To try and enter the AFL in the current climate would be suicidal for any team outside of NSW or Queensland. They would receive very little assistance from the AFL in terms of draft picks (they are still trying to strengthen Gold Coast and GWS), and they would receive little, if any, funding from the SANFL as they love to pour money into Port Adelaide.

Sorry, but no Norwood for the AFL. It just cannot happen.

Oct 1, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos
Nope, it says more about who the REAL football states are, Victoria, SA & WA. That's not going to change, no matter how many artificially inseminated premierships the AFL can win for Sydney.

A South Australian and a hawforn fan. If you're so pissy now, Sunday will be horrendous for anyone within 200m of you !!

Have a good weekend AH?

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
I say to him EAD COLA Flog.

I couldn't believe it last Friday. I went to the newsagent to buy a Football Record and the woman behind the counter asks who I think will win. I told her I hoped the Hawks would get up. Next thing I know, she's telling me how Hawthorn had no chance. I asked her why she thought that. She started on about how poorly Hawthorn played the week before and Sydney were unstoppable, etc.

It then dawned on me she'd been listening to the media who really have a lot to answer for. They do this all the time, build unrealistic expectations into peoples' minds. They did the same last year when Hawthorn played Freo. "Manic pressure, purple haze, all that crap". I said to her, "I bet you were one of these people who thought Fremantle would thrash Hawthorn last year". She said she was.

I said to her it was amazing how Hawthorn just keep making these Grand Finals and somehow keep winning them. She said, "Well they won't win tomorrow", to which I replied, "Some people never learn", and walked away. Anyone who thought Sydney were just going to turn up and rip the Hawks to pieces knows nothing about the fortunes of sport. There has never been a team who made a Grand Final who had no chance whatsoever, but the media keep wanting us to think to the contrary.

Hopefully the football public, and especially the media, will learn from last Saturday's Grand Final ..... but I doubt it. People are like sheep. Having vindictive fools like Gerard Healy in the media doesn't help. He never tips the Hawks, no matter what. Last two finals series, Healy has gone for the opposition in all 6 Hawks finals, only to be wrong on all 6 occasions. Wouldn't it be nice to have a media who could discuss football on an adult level and come up with some balanced discussion rather than a mob of people who never grew up (Andrew Jarman take note) basing judgments on what they want to happen. Don't they ever grow tired of being wrong all the time?

Back