Opinion Bloods Culture - myth ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick Smith. Pah. He's confusing Bloods Culture with Shinboner spirit. That North bollox was really about playing games out when they were supposed to be no chance. The Bloods has nothing to do with Gameday. It's how you go about your entire footy career.

Bloods culture dead because we didn't play for 4 qtrs in a single game? WTF has that got to do with the holistic creed that the Bloods instil in players from the day they walk in off tbe street?

Nothing. That's what. All these people attacking the Bloods have simply been sharpening their knives for a decade waiting to declare us done and dusted.

* them. Seriously.

And as an aside: an important component of the Bloods ethos is all about looking after your team mates.

I'd advise the NSW bashing posters take a leaf from the players' book and stick fat with all Swans supporters wherever they are. Not stick in the knife and twist it.

We're all hurting. And the last thing I'll cop is being told to * off and cry in a corner because I'm somehow a plastic, fake part of this club who has no right to be here. Peace.

Totally agree with Bedford.

It is not possible to say the Bloods culture hasn't been tarnished due to our performance Saturday.
Bloods culture is more than just footy. What happened Saturday was about more than just footy.
If your blood brother is getting smashed you don't shrug your shoulders and move on. In real life or on the footy field.

And as an aside: an important component of the Bloods ethos is all about looking after your team mates.

I'd advise the NSW bashing posters take a leaf from the players' book and stick fat with all Swans supporters wherever they are. Not stick in the knife and twist it.

We're all hurting. And the last thing I'll cop is being told to **** off and cry in a corner because I'm somehow a plastic, fake part of this club who has no right to be here. Peace.

I hope you didn't read my contribution as that. It certainly wasn't intended to be like that.

My point was that down here in Melbourne there will be no end of it for us. You have the numbers. You have collective support. If my son sees a Swans sticker on a car down here he goes berserk. We are completely overwhelmed for numbers. We are going to have it hammered home at every single social gathering for the next year just how weak our side was last Saturday.

Even the players won't cop that. But we will. My email count is over 50 already. My text message count passed 20 before 6pm Saturday night. It's stupid, it's irrational, but we will be hoping the conversation doesn't turn to footy for the next year. Because when it does, and it will, it will be brought home, yet again, to us just what a weak performance that was.

And my point was directed at those who think we should calm down. Yeah I'll calm down. But not yet. Not for some time yet.

I hope you didn't read my contribution as that. It certainly wasn't intended to be like that.

My point was that down here in Melbourne there will be no end of it for us. You have the numbers. You have collective support. If my son sees a Swans sticker on a car down here he goes berserk. We are completely overwhelmed for numbers. We are going to have it hammered home at every single social gathering for the next year just how weak our side was last Saturday.

Even the players won't cop that. But we will. My email count is over 50 already. My text message count passed 20 before 6pm Saturday night. It's stupid, it's irrational, but we will be hoping the conversation doesn't turn to footy for the next year. Because when it does, and it will, it will be brought home, yet again, to us just what a weak performance that was.

And my point was directed at those who think we should calm down. Yeah I'll calm down. But not yet. Not for some time yet.
My question to you is how do people like that have your email and phone number?

My question to you is how do people like that have your email and phone number?

Well I guess I could only associate with Swans fans. It is what it is down here. There's no avoiding it. The blokes at the coffee shop know who I support. Just imagine what it might be like losing the SOO 3-0 in similar circumstances and being surrounded by Queenslanders.

The minute you switch off your computer, or log into a site other than Bigfooty, it finishes. But the Bigfooty mainboard reflects life down here.

Well I guess I could only associate with Swans fans. It is what it is down here. There's no avoiding it. The blokes at the coffee shop know who I support. Just imagine what it might be like losing the SOO 3-0 in similar circumstances and being surrounded by Queenslanders.

The minute you switch off your computer, or log into a site other than Bigfooty, it finishes. But the Bigfooty mainboard reflects life down here.
Well I certainly do feel for you mate. And if they aren't hawks fans, wtf are they talking about lol?

Actually I think we were agreeing with each other. But no worries. Love the passion. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Actually I think we were agreeing with each other. But no worries. Love the passion. :thumbsu:

FWIW you have many crosses to bare a

It's funny - most of my work colleagues and mates have just shook their head. But I guess that might have something to do with wearing full swans kit on my bike on Monday.

I said to a mate that you take the rough with the smooth, and no matter how rough I've also had a lot of smooth since 1995

Since the 2012 GF when was the last time we've overhauled a 20 point deficit against a decent team, there was a fight back against (a non finalist) in North last year and a couple games against Richmond this (who weren't really that great only finished 8th).

Certainly feels like we've rolled over a lot easier when the good teams have gotten 4-5 goal leads against us, certainly don't remember a 'come-back' style win of late. Obviously the GF and round 4 game were the only times we were in that position this year, but there were quite a few last year. There were a few papering over a few cracks type fight backs, but don't recall any genuine ones in the last couple years.
Nothing like the stirring 2nd half of the '06 GF, where at least after the loss, we had the solace of 'pride in our team' intact......

Bloods culture isn't just what happens on the field - it's what happens behind closed doors and on the training track. Hard to see us losing that just because of this one game.

I think the problem was the line between confidence and overconfidence was crossed pre-game. We had a good game plan, gun forwards to kick to, solid team defence - then it all fell apart when Hawthorn brought the pain. Probably overconfidence in the team and game plan meant that not much changed quarter to quarter as Horse backed our boys to get on top eventually.

I think it'll be a matter of getting the personnel right, as well as a few more coaching plans in place, rather than any change in the culture going forward.
I agree with what you're saying there, no change in the culture is needed, the players just need to honestly drive themselves to live up to it when it counts, not just talk it up, otherwise 2003-2012 will be looked back upon in future years by Swans fans as a 'mythological period where our boys were David and the opposition was Goliath' and we'll be telling our grandkids 'they just don't make them like that anymore, oh they were the golden years, oh to have them back again........' as we gaze off into the distance with tears welling in our eyes, and then looking back down at the grandkid asking him WHY, oh WHY does he barrack for Hawthorn.......aaaaaghhhhhh:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A myth that has resulted in 2 flags,1 point from a third, countless finals since '96, Smith is a complete dick.
Yep Saturday was crap,but that is typical from this non event of a reporter.
I see Saturday as the result of a rebuild a very quick rebuild, from 2012 we have lost or not playing due to form / Injury- Marty M, ROK,LRT,Jude, Mummy, AJ, let's be honest in 2012 when we had our experienced hard players in we beat Hawks,simple as that.
We had 6 or so kids with around 20 games and we made the GF, for sure we need some cats heads in the team, but I'll back the club to make the right choices, as they have done for last 20 years roughly.
A Myth... Bugger off... Write us of at your own peril, the same "experts" at the start of 2003 picked us for wooden spoon after a raft of retirements...
I hated Saturday like all of us, but comments from that moron I dismiss.

A myth that has resulted in 2 flags,1 point from a third, countless finals since '96, Smith is a complete dick.
Yep Saturday was crap,but that is typical from this non event of a reporter.
I see Saturday as the result of a rebuild a very quick rebuild, from 2012 we have lost or not playing due to form / Injury- Marty M, ROK,LRT,Jude, Mummy, AJ, let's be honest in 2012 when we had our experienced hard players in we beat Hawks,simple as that.
We had 6 or so kids with around 20 games and we made the GF, for sure we need some cats heads in the team, but I'll back the club to make the right choices, as they have done for last 20 years roughly.
A Myth... Bugger off... Write us of at your own peril, the same "experts" at the start of 2003 picked us for wooden spoon after a raft of retirements...
I hated Saturday like all of us, but comments from that moron I dismiss.
You make a sound point regarding the quick rebuild and the kids, I feel a bit better now:thumbsu:

Great Bruce, its true, just been to the Chemist and he was in to me. That's it they get to escape, but the one's I was with on Friday are loyal and hurting

Try owning a food store in the vicinity of these Whorex!

I had to open Sunday & had a constant stream of fwits saying "hello" to me!

It's not a myth. We just a crappy day. We all have crappy days. Our crappy day also had to involve crappy timing.

If we come out next year, go hard, early wins, make the 4 again it will be there. Crappy culture doesn't get you into Grand Finals. Yes, we lost this one. 16 other clubs didn't get the damn chance to lose one.

Its the way we lost it

At 40 points down at half time on the big dance, a sling tackle or two would render a few useless.
Check if they had the ball on the big screen while they were having their concussion test.

In 2012, Hodge was on & off the field all day with blood rule trying to stop his bleeding eyebrow.
Someone got him.

The Swan trainers were handing out Vaseline to our players so it wouldn't hurt as much!

what is the bloods culture really?

Bacteria-Growth-Agar-TSA.jpg

Maybe next time the bloods culture can include getting mcveigh and jack contaminated with the rage virus then offloaded via blood to the rest of the guys ala 28 days later to turn us into rabid dogs unlike the sookie puppy dogs we were on Saturday..
153_mens_health_flash.jpg

Apologies if my presence is offensive, (still learning the bf ropes) but I have believed in the 'bloods' culture since idolising a footballer named Paul Kelly! I'd remove the word 'culture', to me it BLOODS!
Sydney had a bad day, 2 years ago they were revelling in victory, as my Footy 1st label would suggest I love the game, even if that meant, as an opposition supporter even I had to buy in to the Sydney Bloods...albeit from the otherside... What I'm relating to (as I was from 2012) is the mixed emotion that comes from a GF loss....my thoughts are watch this space; Kennedy & Parker will ignite the Red & White & that number 23 could be their greatest weapon....this will light a fire under McVeigh & Jack then should grow nicely....We're 1 all of late, pretty sure both clubs want a rematch in 2015...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back