Roast Clubs likened to Fitzroy

Remove this Banner Ad

Until the AFL actively moves to remove said club from the competition, then that club's situation is nothing like Fitzroy's.
The AFL did try to move us to the Gold Coast which for me (and most North fans) would have basically meant the end of our club. Granted not a patch on the extent to which they were trying to remove Fitzroy.

Congrats to South Sydney.
Kicked out 14 years ago. Virtually broke and up against it.
Some high profile people with cash did help out, but their supporters lead the charge to survive.
Great to see them have success after such difficulties.

Congrats to South Sydney.
Kicked out 14 years ago. Virtually broke and up against it.
Some high profile people with cash did help out, but their supporters lead the charge to survive.
Great to see them have success after such difficulties.

It's a great story and I was certainly supporting the Rabbitohs because of the Fitzroy parallels.

Unfortunately we don't have the same level of support nor high profile supporters prepared to part with cash to help Fitzroy do the same.

However our own Club is slowly forging its own revival by returning to its roots and building up from there. Reminds me a bit of our very early history.

It's a great story and I was certainly supporting the Rabbitohs because of the Fitzroy parallels.

Unfortunately we don't have the same level of support nor high profile supporters prepared to part with cash to help Fitzroy do the same.

However our own Club is slowly forging its own revival by returning to its roots and building up from there. Reminds me a bit of our very early history.
Was there ever public campaigns to bring back Fitzroy in the few years after the merger?

Was there ever public campaigns to bring back Fitzroy in the few years after the merger?

Bigger question still, did 80,000 fans march down the main streets of Fitzroy......

No, but you guys don't seem to understand that Fitzroy's demise didn't happen overnight. It was over a decade in the making. Fitzroy supporters over the years did absolutely everything they could to keep the club alive.

The Club basically survived for so long thanks to the enormous efforts of thousands of everyday supporters over the years, putting in considerable amounts of their own money to fund-raising campaigns, etc.

What Roylion is getting at is that Fitzroy didn't have any wealthy backers to turn to, although we very much wished that we had.

Obviously the South Sydney situation is not the same as what happened to Fitzroy, but I also found myself cheering for them to win the NRL premiership this year.

For those with an interest in Rugby League there are a number of parallels between Fitzroy and the Newtown Blue Bags...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtown_Jets

Like Fitzroy Newtown were a foundation club who had a proud history in the top flight. Despite running into financial difficulties all through the '70s and early '80s they managed to make it to the 1981 NSWRL Grand Final only to fall to the Parramatta Eels (who went on to win 4 flags in 6 years). Like Fitzroy (who were cornered by Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton) Newtown were bordered by perpetual giants Balmain (11 NSWRL titles and South Sydney (21 NSWRL/NRL titles).

They even made a movie about their plight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Winter

Today they play at Henson Park and regularly draw 5000 or more to their NSW Cup games. In 2012 they made it all the way to the NSW Cup Final, winning the NSW Cup (the first time in 38 years) and playing the curtain raiser for the 2012 NRL Grand Final. Today, aided in no small way by the movie, the Newtown Jets have undergone a renaissance in popularity. They are far and away the most supported club in the NSW Cup and give some lower drawing NRL clubs a run for their money with respect to crowd attendances.

I see a lot of similarities between the story of Fitzroy '86 and Newtown of '81. Both fought against the odds were very close to the ultimate glory

Last edited:
I see a lot of similarities between the story of Fitzroy '86 and Newtown of '81. Both fought against the odds were very close to the ultimate glory

Fitzroy's fight to remain in the AFL, it's eventual forced removal in 1996 and rebirth in the VAFA (and maybe one day in the VFL-VFA) would make a great tele-movie/mini-series.

Current Melbourne situation is nothing like North in 2007 and Port in 2011. North's financial situation wasn't great but they were Top 4 at the time. And Port was just going through a little rough patch.

I don't think they are comparing the entire situation to Fitzroy, the AFL aren't trying to get rid of Melbourne, like they tried to get rid of Fitzroy, obviously . But I do believe comparing their performances on the field to Fitzroy is justifiable. Melbourne are horrendous, possibly even worse than Fitzroy in their later years at the moment, at least Fitzroy played with heart...

Exactly, right.
Imagine now, 1.25 billion for the AFL rights, Fitzroy couldve been saved.
But, The AFL back them wanted Fitzroy out, Oakley came in, got what he wanted then retired,
That dirty prick. They pumped money into Sydney and Brisbane, and still to thi day they dont care for AFL up there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back