Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Now Starts A Long Offseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that Gorringe hasn't cracked the GC side, he and Lycett were both highly rated SA rucks drafted in the same year, yet Lycett lasted 18 picks later or something. Good development.

I really hope we go for pace and forward nous with our first pick. Will be exciting to get an injection of speed around goals

Rucks : Naitanui, Lycett, Sinclair.

If two get injured then we're relying on McGovern or McIness as second ruck. Trading Sinclair is a risk

KPD : mckenzie, brown, McGovern, Schofield (not a true KPD) and a very raw barass. Could also throw Mcinnes back in an emergency.

We are horribly exposed if two of the first three go down. Our depth of genuine tall defenders isn't that strong that we should be considering trading brown

Sheeesh, 20 pages talking about Beans.

I care as much about Beans and Collingwood getting ripped off, as i do about an interview with Priddis telling me "the team has focussed on kicking skills"

No derail bro no derail.

Who we are going to end up getting out of Pickett, Ahern and Weller is what i'm interested in.

Laverde
Pickett
Weller
Ahern

What did we do with Mitch Brown?

Why do you assume that if Beams doesn't get traded this year, he will definitely leave for nothing next year?

In the history of drafts and trading, how many top-drawer players have left for nothing via the PSD?

That's fine, as long as you acknowledge that Collingwood don't have to sell if they don't like the price offered.
I agree, they do not have to sell at the price offered, but the result of not selling is sometimes that the price goes down, not up. I am not sure how much Collingwood would be willing to give up to make a point.

You keep comparing the Brown situation to the Beams situation. They have as many differences as similarities (more differences in fact in my opinion). You just highlight the similarities and say, see, they are similar. Its just as valid to highlight the differences and say it proves they are different. These are, before you ask, one has initiated the effort to leave, one was enticed to leave, one is for personal reasons, one is for career reasons. One had the driver removed by a years delay, for one a years delay is unlikely to make a difference.

If I am selling my house, and I think an offer of 500 000 is fair, but no one will offer more than 75c and boiled lolly, then its worth 75c and a boiled lolly. I can refuse to sell, but I cannot force anyone to pay 500 000. Collingwood can refuse to sell, but only for 12 months. They will take the deal that offers them most.

If two get injured then we're relying on McGovern or McIness as second ruck. Trading Sinclair is a risk

KPD : mckenzie, brown, McGovern, Schofield (not a true KPD) and a very raw barass. Could also throw Mcinnes back in an emergency.

We are horribly exposed if two of the first three go down. Our depth of genuine tall defenders isn't that strong that we should be considering trading brown
If we trade Sinclair and 2 get injured, then McGovern or McInness become first ruck

Even if he was free we'd be overpaying IMO.
Why swans grabbed Derrix and laidler for free and they were serviceable when called on .
Spangler from hawks
Dockers use silvani as back up who was a state leaguer
Joel Tippett was going great before injury .
A change of environment can do wonders .
Why have a ruck with value playing wafl and one of brown or schofield playing wafl also when we could trade them as they are surplus and pump that value into our midfield while we have our KPP and rucks in their prime ?
McKernan may not be the answer but he has potential and we develop defenders and rucks well .

"After starting the season in the VFL, Levi Greenwood’s meteoric rise has been highlighted with his team-mates recognising him among North’s most valuable players.
Greenwood joined Brent Harvey and Ben Cunnington as the Kangaroos’ nominees for the prestigious Leigh Matthews Trophy.
The award is held in high regard with players voting for their peers in order to find the AFL’s Most Valuable Player.
After coming into the side in Round 2, Greenwood has taken all before him, averaging 25 disposals a game in 19 appearances.
Always around the mark for an AFL call-up in previous seasons, he’s quickly become vital to North’s chances in September.
An ability to find his own ball while playing a stopping role makes Greenwood a huge asset for coach Brad Scott.
A fearless approach has also seen the on-baller nominated for the Robert Rose Most Courageous Award".
*Source afl.com.au

Answer to a previous post-
Im not sure its got much legs (Us sniffing around) but the bloke shouldn't be discounted. 25yo, hard at it mid who is no-doubt better than Hutchings & McGinnity as run with players. Would definitely be first 22 player.
Probably just his manager holding out for a better contract but paying the likes of DalSanto,Waite, Higgins? FA wouldn't be cheap. North would probs want overs for him but he is uncontracted...

IMO- second rounder

Last edited:
One of our acknowledged issues is lack of depth, but people keep proposing we trade our depth for not all that much. I am not sure how that helps all that much.

One of our acknowledged issues is lack of depth, but people keep proposing we trade our depth for not all that much. I am not sure how that helps all that much.
Lack of midfield depth !
If anything our ruck and key defender depth is the best in the afl . We also have a handy key forwards aswell .
The loss of ebert , swift , Stevens and early retirement of Kerr has contributed . Also Wellingham being non existent plus the lack of first round pick we payed for him stings !

"After starting the season in the VFL, Levi Greenwood’s meteoric rise has been highlighted with his team-mates recognising him among North’s most valuable players.
Greenwood joined Brent Harvey and Ben Cunnington as the Kangaroos’ nominees for the prestigious Leigh Matthews Trophy.
The award is held in high regard with players voting for their peers in order to find the AFL’s Most Valuable Player.
After coming into the side in Round 2, Greenwood has taken all before him, averaging 25 disposals a game in 19 appearances.
Always around the mark for an AFL call-up in previous seasons, he’s quickly become vital to North’s chances in September.
An ability to find his own ball while playing a stopping role makes Greenwood a huge asset for coach Brad Scott.
A fearless approach has also seen the on-baller nominated for the Robert Rose Most Courageous Award".
*Source afl.com.au

Answer to a previous post-
Im not sure its got much legs (Us sniffing around) but the bloke shouldn't be discounted. 25yo, hard at it mid who is no-doubt better than Hutchings & McGinnity as run with players. Would definitely be first 22 player.
Probably just his manager holding out for a better contract but paying the likes of DalSanto,Waite, Higgins? FA wouldn't be cheap. North would probs want overs for him but he is uncontracted...

IMO- second rounder

Have been a big fan of Greenwood for a while. I think it was 3 years ago when he carved us up at Subi. Has been injured a fair bit, so we need to be cautious about that. I'd definitely be interested if we could swing it. Had a huge second half of the season, that's for sure.

Also, would not trade Mitch Brown. Neither McGovern nor Schoey have proved they can be KPD's, if anything I'd say Schoey is surplus.

Also, would not trade Mitch Brown. Neither McGovern nor Schoey have proved they can be KPD's, if anything I'd say Schoey is surplus.
They're both good options as third talls.
Schofield as a guy who can spoil and rebound and McGovern as someone who can drop into the hole, take marks and distribute very well by foot.
I agree that we definitely can't afford to trade Brown, but I don't think we have enough tall defensive options for Schofield to be surplus.
Probably should have switched McInnes back a few years ago in hindsight.

They're both good options as third talls.
Schofield as a guy who can spoil and rebound and McGovern as someone who can drop into the hole, take marks and distribute very well by foot.
I agree that we definitely can't afford to trade Brown, but I don't think we have enough tall defensive options for Schofield to be surplus.
Probably should have switched McInnes back a few years ago in hindsight.

I think we only need 3 tall defenders when we're playing Sydney or Hawthorn, the rest of the time we have Brown defending a small... rather bring in a Waters or Butler or Shepperd or Ellis into the defence instead of keeping Schoey in. I'm sick and tired of Schoey's stupid decisions and playing on with a 50-50 chance of him flucffing it and it going back over his head and leading to a goal. Pinch hit Yeo into defence if we have to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we only need 3 tall defenders when we're playing Sydney or Hawthorn, the rest of the time we have Brown defending a small... rather bring in a Waters or Butler or Shepperd or Ellis into the defence instead of keeping Schoey in. I'm sick and tired of Schoey's stupid decisions and playing on with a 50-50 chance of him flucffing it and it going back over his head and leading to a goal. Pinch hit Yeo into defence if we have to.
Reasonable points. My issue with Schoey is that he's primarily a rebounding player that only gets 10-12 touches per game, which just isn't good enough.
I think Brown+Emac with McGovern and Hurn taking third tall duties interchangeably would be good enough against most teams.
Then again if we want McGovern to be a full time CHF that might not work. I'd want Yeo in the guts as much as possible, and failing that, a wing or HBF.

I thought you were talking about Schofield as a surplus in the context of the list, rather than the 22. He might be expendable in the 22, but we definitely need to keep him (or another experienced tall defender) on the list.

I agree, they do not have to sell at the price offered, but the result of not selling is sometimes that the price goes down, not up.
This is nonsensical. You're just smashing together ill-fitting real estate analogies. Collingwood don't want to sell. They want to keep Beams. But a buyer (Brisbane) has approached them with a mediocre bid.

And your response is: "Better sell now – it might be worth nothing next time."

I'd love to hear how your conclusions would play out if West Coast replaced Collingwood.

Let's take a contracted player. Let's say Shuey – I don't want to labour this point but his sister died and we didn't just send him home, did we? We figured out a way to keep him, despite him going through a very difficult situation.

But let's say Shuey asks for a trade back to Victoria while still contracted. And he nominates Hawthorn. They offer us their first-rounder and refuse to negotiate.

Would you be saying the same bullshit about Collingwood and Beams if we were in that situation with Shuey? I doubt it.

You'd want us to tell the other club to give us the goods or piss off because our player is contracted and we're happy to keep him. The same applies to Collingwood and Beams.

You keep comparing the Brown situation to the Beams situation. They have as many differences as similarities (more differences in fact in my opinion).
Sure, Brown is taller and has a different haircut and wears different shoes. The list goes on. There are a million differences.

But it's this one similarity that matters more: a contracted player asks to be traded but the club that holds the contract isn't satisfied with the offer and chooses to enforce that contract.

That is way more important than all the immaterial differences you're about to list.

Its just as valid to highlight the differences and say it proves they are different. These are, before you ask, one has initiated the effort to leave, one was enticed to leave, one is for personal reasons, one is for career reasons. One had the driver removed by a years delay, for one a years delay is unlikely to make a difference.
These differences don't matter. It's pointless mismatching that doesn't create any important distinction.

Beams' 'personal reasons' aren't some blast from the heavens that erase all other considerations.

He signed a contract, meaning Collingwood don't have to trade him. It's therefore up to a second club to satisfy Collingwood in any trade.

Those are the facts, mate. You're just pissing in your own pocket by pretending otherwise.

If I am selling my house and I think an offer of 500 000 is fair, but no one will offer more than 75c and boiled lolly, then its worth 75c and a boiled lolly. I can refuse to sell, but I cannot force anyone to pay 500 000.
The problem with your analogy is that you have chosen to sell your house. You want to sell. You arranged an auction.

But Collingwood don't want to sell and they don't have to. They are happy with their house and aren't asking anyone to bid for it.

If someone comes knocking with a shitty offer, as per your eye-wateringly ill-conceived analogy, Collingwood will refuse to sell. As they should.

Last edited:

Yeah, better not trade anyone. We might get injuries.

Yeah, better not trade anyone. We might get injuries.
Well yeah no point having cover for players in the 22 I guess might as well do away with 40 player team lists because there's no such thing as injuries

Well yeah no point having cover for players in the 22 I guess might as well do away with 40 player team lists because there's no such thing as injuries
If the price is right, you trade them.

If someone offers us a top-30 pick for Sinclair, done deal. First-rounder for Brown, done deal.

Instead of pooing your pants about injuries, you take the good deal and adapt new solutions to the new spaces in the roster.

If the price is right, you trade them.

If someone offers us a top-30 pick for Sinclair, done deal. First-rounder for Brown, done deal.

Instead of pooing your pants about injuries, you take the good deal and adapt new solutions to the new spaces in the roster.
Fair enough - if it's a good deal then yes you'd consider trading them. Not sure we'd get those type of offers though

Interesting that Gorringe hasn't cracked the GC side, he and Lycett were both highly rated SA rucks drafted in the same year, yet Lycett lasted 18 picks later or something. Good development.

Gorringe has basiscally spent the last few years injured. Hard to tell what he could be yet, could easily smash it out in the next couple of years.

Saw a report that McGovern younger brother mitch is going to the draft camp. Any one give any insight to him? You would imagine the club is casting a keen eye over him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back