Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just find it too hard to believe something wouldn't have been stitched up before they sacked Sando. I reckon it would have been impossible to stitch up a main coach - but assistants are very possible. If they haven't stitched up a big assistant team then bugger me,r.

from what goodwin said of roo calling him up to sound him out about the crows job makes me think they cannot have a head coach signed up when they sacked sando.

assistants i dont know , although wouldnt the coach want to pick his own?

I was Wrong Sando please come back and bring Bomber with you.
I still like that idea somebody had yesterday: Clarkson coaching Hawthorn AND Adelaide in 2015. There's already a precedent, with some bloke called Scott coaching North and Geelong.....

from what goodwin said of roo calling him up to sound him out about the crows job makes me think they cannot have a head coach signed up when they sacked sando.

assistants i dont know , although wouldnt the coach want to pick his own?

We didn't let Ken pick any of his assistants when he got to Port. Buddha was on a long term deal, Carr and Rehn had served only one of their two year deal, Nicks was appointed to take over from Gotch as defence coach - Nicks stepping up from development coach and KT had already appointed Richo Director of Coaching before Ken signed on the dotted line.

But this was all done by KT's authority. Dont know if Roo/Chapman/Fagan have that sort of authority.

I just find it too hard to believe something wouldn't have been stitched up before they sacked Sando. I reckon.

I guess that all depends on when exactly the decision in sanderson was made.

If there really was an in depth review going on since mid season do you really think the ceo at the time would have been surprised to find out sanderson had been sacked.and you would have thought sando wouldn't have been interviewing assistant candidates in his final days.

If the club really is in the early stages of interviews then I think it points to some of the other theories/stories getting around in that Sandersons exit was a bit more rushed thsn planned.

By the way, for all thre Roo Kingmaker talk I reckon david noble has a fair case for the title. Rendell would have been reporting to him when he got moved on. He had a fair bit of sway when craig got moved on. Phil harper seems to have been moved into a media role only... and is probably on the way out while sando also reported to him.

Barring massive injuries, don't be surprised to see Adelaide firmly entrenched in the top 4. With the right culture and mind set, that was achievable this year. We now have to wait until 2015...but it's going to be exciting!"

This is the part that made me chuckle.

The reality is setting in for these clowns that Adelaide isn't viewed as a destination club. Ricciuto can wax lyrical about changing the culture as much as he likes, but unless you've got the cattle, no coach worth his salt is going to want to go there. Why would they? 10 quality players...can't even make a great 22. And their best player looks like he's leaving the club next year.

It's looking more and more like Clarkson WAS their target, and they stuffed it up. I'm putting the pieces together from what others with 'mail' are saying:

Ricciuto was on record saying that if they get a younger coach, they'll get a senior assistant to help...and if they get a more qualified coach, they'll get an understudy to take over the reigns eventually. That was the job that Goodwin was sounded out about - NOT the head coaching position. I reckon that with Clarko 'in the bag', Ricciuto rung up old mate Goodwin and said 'do you really want to do an apprenticeship under Roos when we've got Clarkson'? Goodwin might be a gambling dickhead, but he's not dumb. He would have asked 'So Clarkson is signed?' and Roo would have said 'No, but we're making him an offer he can't refuse, and he says he's keen.' Click. Goodwin signs on as Melbourne coach-in-waiting.

Roo goes down the list. Bassett is the next favourite son in line, so he gives him a call, which meshes with the idea of him being contacted a couple of weeks ago. Bassett is keen to work under Clarkson (who wouldn't?) and Roo stitches him up as the understudy. Clarkson with Bassett as his apprentice? The denture-smacking hordes will love it! It's also why they were sounding out Ryan O'Keefe as an assistant - they truly believed that Alastair Clarkson was going to be the Adelaide head coach in 2015. Maybe even Clarkson believed it too.

Then Jarman opens his trap, and the rest is history. Suddenly, the carefully constructed plan falls into a screaming heap, the Hawks win the flag in a canter with a fully fit list, and Clarkson re-affirms in his mind that going for three in a row isn't actually that big a stretch.

Now you've got a situation for our feathered friends where they are saying that their coach won't be installed until after trade week - meaning that he can't have a say in who he wants and doesn't want at the club.

It's a complete utensil-up that a s**t franchise like AFC so richly deserves.

I guess that all depends on when exactly the decision in sanderson was made.

If there really was an in depth review going on since mid season do you really think the ceo at the time would have been surprised to find out sanderson had been sacked.and you would have thought sando wouldn't have been interviewing assistant candidates in his final days.

If the club really is in the early stages of interviews then I think it points to some of the other theories/stories getting around in that Sandersons exit was a bit more rushed thsn planned.

By the way, for all thre Roo Kingmaker talk I reckon david noble has a fair case for the title. Rendell would have been reporting to him when he got moved on. He had a fair bit of sway when craig got moved on. Phil harper seems to have been moved into a media role only... and is probably on the way out while sando also reported to him.

Noble is doing about 5 jobs at the moment. If he gets it right he is going to be in very high demand in a year or twos time. So yes you are right that he probably deserves the title but Rooch cant romantically go with that.

I reckon Bassett will get it - we can then watch Adelaide play a dead s**t boring gameplan. Not sure the sponsors and board would want that though? they will be looking at exactly what we are doing.

I was having a discussion with a Crows supporter the other day who was going on about Crows supporters as if they are superior beings to Port supporters. He was going on about how Port supporters are unemployable bums. I then said that I'm a Port supporter and I have a job. He then said that crows supporters have better, higher paying jobs. Knowing what he's earned in the last financial year, I said to him "well I'm a Port supporter and you're a Crows supporter and I've earned more than you last year". He then goes onto to say that generally Port supporters are unemployed, so I said "your own coach is unemployed. And you're carrying on about Port supporters?" Anyway, it's fair to say he didn't really have an answer.

It's looking more and more like Clarkson WAS their target, and they stuffed it up. I'm putting the pieces together from what others with 'mail' are saying:

Ricciuto was on record saying that if they get a younger coach, they'll get a senior assistant to help...and if they get a more qualified coach, they'll get an understudy to take over the reigns eventually. That was the job that Goodwin was sounded out about - NOT the head coaching position. I reckon that with Clarko 'in the bag', Ricciuto rung up old mate Goodwin and said 'do you really want to do an apprenticeship under Roos when we've got Clarkson'? Goodwin might be a gambling dickhead, but he's not dumb. He would have asked 'So Clarkson is signed?' and Roo would have said 'No, but we're making him an offer he can't refuse, and he says he's keen.' Click. Goodwin signs on as Melbourne coach-in-waiting.

Roo goes down the list. Bassett is the next favourite son in line, so he gives him a call, which meshes with the idea of him being contacted a couple of weeks ago. Bassett is keen to work under Clarkson (who wouldn't?) and Roo stitches him up as the understudy. Clarkson with Bassett as his apprentice? The denture-smacking hordes will love it! It's also why they were sounding out Ryan O'Keefe as an assistant - they truly believed that Alastair Clarkson was going to be the Adelaide head coach in 2015. Maybe even Clarkson believed it too.

Then Jarman opens his trap, and the rest is history. Suddenly, the carefully constructed plan falls into a screaming heap, the Hawks win the flag in a canter with a fully fit list, and Clarkson re-affirms in his mind that going for three in a row isn't actually that big a stretch.

Now you've got a situation for our feathered friends where they are saying that their coach won't be installed until after trade week - meaning that he can't have a say in who he wants and doesn't want at the club.

It's a complete utensil-up that a s**t franchise like AFC so richly deserves.

I just cant see Clarko ever agreeing to come to the crows before has played the GF and his contract term is finished. The rest of your post and the domino effect makes a lot of sense - but the starting point of getting Clarkson is just unbelievable for me to believe.

I was having a discussion with a Crows supporter the other day who was going on about Crows supporters as if they are superior beings to Port supporters. He was going on about how Port supporters are unemployable bums. I then said that I'm a Port supporter and I have a job. He then said that crows supporters have better, higher paying jobs. Knowing what he's earned in the last financial year, I said to him "well I'm a Port supporter and you're a Crows supporter and I've earned more than you last year". He then goes onto to say that generally Port supporters are unemployed, so I said "your own coach is unemployed. And you're carrying on about Port supporters?" Anyway, it's fair to say he didn't really have an answer.

most crows supporters are intellectual pygmies and cant think outside stereotypes. It means they have to make an effort. they are the comfortable dont change a thing Adelaide/SA mentality thinking.

I just cant see Clarko ever agreeing to come to the crows before has played the GF and his contract term is finished. The rest of your post and the domino effect makes a lot of sense - but the starting point of getting Clarkson is just unbelievable for me to believe.

When I said Clarkson was 'in the bag' - I mean that the Crows put an offer to him that he 'couldn't refuse'. You have to think like a Crow/South Australian - they truly believe they are the master race of the competition. "Why wouldn't Clarkson come to Adelaide for double his salary?" They never actually HAD Clarkson at any stage. That's the funny thing about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, I don’t think he was all signed up, but I reckon he may have agreed to a “discussion” after the GF (possibly a standard response for coaches who don’t want any pre-GF distraction). But compare this to Goodwin, Bomber, Voss and Worsfold, who all openly rejected any interest in the Crows coaching job (within 24 hrs of Sando’s sacking), it just probably made Clarkson’s response appear more promising than it really was, especially if they did have a great deal on offer. Insert > soyourtellingmetheresachance.jpg

The funny thing is most other clubs would have kept it under wraps. But not at Crow land. Nope. They couldn't help themselves and filterer down this half-assed infor to their idiotic ambassadors who's jobs are to appease their miserable supporters, so they can all enjoy a long-awaited, much needed crow wankfest.

When I said Clarkson was 'in the bag' - I mean that the Crows put an offer to him that he 'couldn't refuse'. You have to think like a Crow/South Australian - they truly believe they are the master race of the competition. "Why wouldn't Clarkson come to Adelaide for double his salary?" They never actually HAD Clarkson at any stage. That's the funny thing about it.

Ok that is very believable. And its believable they told a few people in the media and close to the club thats what was going to happen and people opened their mouths and completely stuffed up that 0.05% chance of it ever happening.

Comes across as an arrogant self righteous twat born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

No wonder he's the perfect fit for bovineville.
Basset is quirky - not conventional and for some that comes across as arogant.

I have a Norwood footyhead mate who knows Basset very well. My mate does a lot of coaching and umpiring kids footy. My mate has never played footy at a high level but has a good footy brain and has done work for Norwood on and off for years. Basset would regurarly call him for chats on footy. He would invite him in to look at videos and go through them with Bass or get him to write up summaries of players or tactics. My mate can be rough as guts and there is no way he would call Bassett arogant. The fact he comes across that way wouldnt worry Basset one bit.

Oh and Basset sent my mate a great Txt ripping into Sando about half way thru last season. Haha I wouldnt he surprise if Roo ended up seeing it. Might have started the ball rolling with Roo well before he joined the board.

The lionger this goes and the experienced coaches come out wnd say no thanks - the more I reckon it will end up being Basset.

Last edited:
It will be bassett. There is no other option. Neil Craig lite.

be62153824.jpg

FA compo is quite simple really. It is determined by the value of the contract. More money, the higher the ranking. It doesnt matter whether you are a triple brownlow medallist, multiple all australian or coleman medallist.

Its then tied to the clubs finishing position.

Personally i dont mind it. It means that the teams lower down on the ladder get better compensation for losing players.

Yeah, so fail factories continue getting ludicrous compensation for overrated flotsam and jetsam (pick 23 for Colin Sylvia & pick 3 for James Frawley? GTFO) while honest clubs that rebuilt properly like ours are perennially penalised?

Grrrreat.

Yeah, so fail factories continue getting ludicrous compensation for overrated flotsam and jetsam (pick 23 for Colin Sylvia & pick 3 for James Frawley? GTFO) while honest clubs that rebuilt properly like ours are perennially penalised?

Grrrreat.

Blame the ning nong middle merchants willing to pay ludicrous amounts to add the overrated flotsam and jetsam to their product range.

I just find it too hard to believe something wouldn't have been stitched up before they sacked Sando. .
I know what you are saying. Intuitively, you would think something was done, and my gut tells me they had Goodwin and that became politically unpalatable. Not so convinced about Clarkson, but possible it turned to poo as well. I suspect that they may have been confident about some assistants, with a new fitness bloke being chased. Our biggest problem now is again loosing staff very late, with Nicks and Walsh as examples, and Moros as the dominos fall. I hope our club is all over the potential loss of our assistants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back