Beauty & Style Things where cheap isnt an option?

JuddsABlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I like sunglasses that actually filter out the sun and protect my eyes

this

sounds like a lot of people arent buying polorized sunglasses which is basically the entire purpose for sunnies

cheap ones arent polorized and offer really no protection to your eyes

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
this

sounds like a lot of people arent buying polorized sunglasses which is basically the entire purpose for sunnies

I'll be honest, as stupid as it sounds, I've never actually considered eye protection when buying sunglasses, just whether they'd dim the sunlight and look good and match my style of dress.

Then again, I've never bought $2 sunnies from a servo either (more like knockoff Wayfarers or Aviators for like $20-$30 at one of those kiosks they have at big shopping centres), so I probably have NFI what I'm doing

this

Recently spent $120 on a pair of "real" sunglasses after a year or two of wearing what I think were a pair $5 knock-off wayfarers - which may or may not have been for women, I couldn't tell because a) I didn't buy them myself, I just remember finding them in my stuff one day, and b) nobody ever seemed to notice either - but yeah, the difference is quite noticeable and definitely worth it.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Replacing broken phone screens.

I wish it was bloody cheaper TBH.

Have a Sony Xperia Z1, and I'm always careful and never rough with it (haven't ever dropped it or hit or pressed the screen hard in any way), but the top third of the screen somehow developed some hairline cracks in it on Monday morning. They're that fine and almost invisible that I didn't notice until I was using it and the top third was unresponsive to touch. You don't realise how much you take accessibility on your mobile for granted until a big part of it is taken away. Really is a major pain in the arse.

New handset and recontract would still incur a $500-odd payout on the handset plus Early Recontracting Fee (less than a year into a 24-month deal). Repair places quoting $200-$250 for replacement of the screen. Screens available with DIY tools for $30-$100 on eBay, but I'd rather not risk f*cking the thing up entirely and would like to just get it fixed properly. I really wouldn't care about fixing it for the aesthetics (you can't actually see the cracks until you tilt the phone in the light), but the lack of functionality is the real problem. Last phone I had (Motorola Droid Razr) lasted until about three weeks before the end of my contract before I dropped it and cracked the screen. Was still perfectly functional afterwards, so it's annoying this one isn't.

JuddsABlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm fine with using disposable razors but I guess it depends on your skin. A good soap is necessary no matter what though.

I stopped using soap/cream ages ago and never looked back

I shave in the shower just using the hot water and blade and my skin feels great, no irritation or itching afterwards

With shaving cream I used to feel dry afterwards and sometimes got irritation above my lip but it all went away when I just started using hot water

moses

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Home
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
I wish it was bloody cheaper TBH.

Have a Sony Xperia Z1, and I'm always careful and never rough with it (haven't ever dropped it or hit or pressed the screen hard in any way), but the top third of the screen somehow developed some hairline cracks in it on Monday morning. They're that fine and almost invisible that I didn't notice until I was using it and the top third was unresponsive to touch. You don't realise how much you take accessibility on your mobile for granted until a big part of it is taken away. Really is a major pain in the arse.

New handset and recontract would still incur a $500-odd payout on the handset plus Early Recontracting Fee (less than a year into a 24-month deal). Repair places quoting $200-$250 for replacement of the screen. Screens available with DIY tools for $30-$100 on eBay, but I'd rather not risk f*cking the thing up entirely and would like to just get it fixed properly. I really wouldn't care about fixing it for the aesthetics (you can't actually see the cracks until you tilt the phone in the light), but the lack of functionality is the real problem. Last phone I had (Motorola Droid Razr) lasted until about three weeks before the end of my contract before I dropped it and cracked the screen. Was still perfectly functional afterwards, so it's annoying this one isn't.

I'm no lawyer, but the legality of these penalty clauses in contracts such as phone plane and gyms do not hold up in court. They are not making any loss from you breaking your contract because they are not providing you with services any more (the whole object of a contract), that and they calculation of these penalty fees is questionable. Hopefully a legal eagle member of BigFooty can confirm this for me.

A little different be in regards to bank fees - http://www.mondaq.com/australia/x/2...h+Court+broadens+the+scope+of+penalty+clauses

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I'm no lawyer, but the legality of these penalty clauses in contracts such as phone plane and gyms do not hold up in court. They are not making any loss from you breaking your contract because they are not providing you with services any more (the whole object of a contract), that and they calculation of these penalty fees is questionable. Hopefully a legal eagle member of BigFooty can confirm this for me.

A little different be in regards to bank fees - http://www.mondaq.com/australia/x/269584/Contract Law/High Court broadens the scope of penalty clauses

Yeah but they're providing you with the physical handset at a subsedised rate (I pay no extra for the handset within my plan itself), and if I recontract, all I'd be paying out would be the remaining amount owing on the handset, plus an Early Recontracting Fee. Any ETCs for the service contract would be waived.

moses

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Home
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Yeah but they're providing you with the physical handset at a subsedised rate (I pay no extra for the handset within my plan itself), and if I recontract, all I'd be paying out would be the remaining amount owing on the handset, plus an Early Recontracting Fee. Any ETCs for the service contract would be waived.
You should only have to pay the estimated amount on the handset (this is something that they bury into the fee structure for the contracts anyway). Early Recontracting Fee sounds like a penalty clause too.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
You should only have to pay the estimated amount on the handset (this is something that they bury into the fee structure for the contracts anyway).

You pay a portion of the remaining value of the handset, based upon the remaining time in your Mobile Repayment Option agreement. This value is freely available upon sign-up. The cost is subsidised each month depending upon what plan you have, but it's pretty clear that if it hasn't been paid off in full in some form, they're not going to just give you a half paid-for handset at no cost.

Early Recontracting Fee sounds like a penalty clause too.

It is a penalty clause. Again, fully disclosed upon sign-up. You exit the agreement you have to go into another with greater than 90 days remaining in your current agreement, there applies a $50 Early Recontracting Fee. Simple.

I agreed to the terms and conditions when I began the service, continue to agree to them by paying my bill, and fully understand there are financial penalties for exiting the agreement. I'm not going to be one of those w*nkers who tries to squirm out of something I freely agreed to.

If you don't want service contracts, there's plenty of options without them. There's even options you can take up upon start-up where you can replace your handset 12 months into a 24-month deal. Some people like myself don't see the need to do that, or don't forsee that they'll may want changes to what they've signed up for, but if they do, it's clear as day what the terms and conditions are.

There's no trickery or lack of clarity in any of it for me.

Last edited:
Shoes. Particularly basketball shoes.

I find that it doesn't matter if i spend $60 or $250 - basketball shoes don't last as long as they used to. Bball shoesi wore lasted 4-6 years in the 90's and mid 00's. Since then the majority of bball shoes I have owned lasted 2 years or less (most would show signs of wear n tear after 6 months.... 1 pair fell apart within 3 months!

I purchased different pairs last year (as a means to rotate between 3 different sorts so that i don't wear out 1 single pair within months). One of them (Nike Overplay VII's) is fraying apart around the ankle on the right shoe...... I have worn it less than 50 times out of the 500 or so days of owning them.

My most expensive pair was around $250 (Jordan CP3.IV) several years ago lasted only a few months... but they were pretty cool, could skid around and make loud noises with the movement.

I purchased my current pair for $60 (closer to $80 factoring in shipping costs from Eastbay), Rebel sport were asking for $100. Hoping they last 2 plus years (the same length of time as my oldest pair that i recently retired that i had worn since April 2012) - they should as they are similar design to those one's.

BALKAN

Cancelled
Bay 13: Flog of the Year
Aug 23, 2013
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
I find that it doesn't matter if i spend $60 or $250 - basketball shoes don't last as long as they used to. Bball shoesi wore lasted 4-6 years in the 90's and mid 00's. Since then the majority of bball shoes I have owned lasted 2 years or less (most would show signs of wear n tear after 6 months.... 1 pair fell apart within 3 months!

I purchased different pairs last year (as a means to rotate between 3 different sorts so that i don't wear out 1 single pair within months). One of them (Nike Overplay VII's) is fraying apart around the ankle on the right shoe...... I have worn it less than 50 times out of the 500 or so days of owning them.

My most expensive pair was around $250 (Jordan CP3.IV) several years ago lasted only a few months... but they were pretty cool, could skid around and make loud noises with the movement.

I purchased my current pair for $60 (closer to $80 factoring in shipping costs from Eastbay), Rebel sport were asking for $100. Hoping they last 2 plus years (the same length of time as my oldest pair that i recently retired that i had worn since April 2012) - they should as they are similar design to those one's.

I agree somewhat. My Jordan Hallowed Ground's started falling apart after ~1 year. Current pair are the Nike Hyperdunk low's and they're going great, had them for 2 years and not even showing the slightest bit of wear. I've never spent >$200 on a pair of bball shoes but the Kobe 9 EM's are on eastbay for about $170 and I've heard great things about them so I think I'll give them a crack.

moses

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Home
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
I agree somewhat. My Jordan Hallowed Ground's started falling apart after ~1 year. Current pair are the Nike Hyperdunk low's and they're going great, had them for 2 years and not even showing the slightest bit of wear. I've never spent >$200 on a pair of bball shoes but the Kobe 9 EM's are on eastbay for about $170 and I've heard great things about them so I think I'll give them a crack.
I take it you wont be buying a pair of Staburys - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starbury

Dec 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'll be honest, as stupid as it sounds, I've never actually considered eye protection when buying sunglasses, just whether they'd dim the sunlight and look good and match my style of dress.

Then again, I've never bought $2 sunnies from a servo either (more like knockoff Wayfarers or Aviators for like $20-$30 at one of those kiosks they have at big shopping centres), so I probably have NFI what I'm doing
Wearing cheap sunglasses increases the eyes exposure to UV radiation. The pupils dilate because the visible light is dimmed, if the glasses don't block UV more of it passes through the eye. Not an expert though.

Back