List Mgmt. We Got Him! Beams Trade Discussion (Not the Hype Thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mods on this board seem to do 10% of their work during the season and 90% from the moment that siren goes in round 23. Good to see we broke ZoBlitz early.

Thread has gotten to the stage where the content resets itself every 5-10 posts with a "pick 4 or nothing" or "pick 4 won't do it".

I would personally like to see us acquire Beams this year. I think it would be our loss if we were to miss out on this opportunity. It would be a sizable gamble on our part to give Collingwood another 12 months to work on the situation. I actually disagree that its a no harm/loss/risk situation for us. If we fail to secure the trade we lose the services of one of the competitions best midfielders who (on balance) will likely provide more to the club than draft picks or fringe players (what we'll have to give up).

What I do love is Swann. When Holmes was in charge, as a member I felt that the club was just meandering along in a sense trying to stay afloat with little media attention (which is a bit dramatic but there wasn't much to be excited about). Since Swann has taken over I've noticed a world of difference. The best way I can describe it is that Swann has now said to the local and broader football community that the Brisbane Lions are open for business. I'm excited.

I am keen for Crisp to stay, he is tall athletic and really seemed to mature and start to take the game on, he is what only a second year player? Pick 24 could be anything but will always be a few years younger, we lost a lot in his age bracket already.

I am keen for Crisp to stay, he is tall athletic and really seemed to mature and start to take the game on, he is what only a second year player? Pick 24 could be anything but will always be a few years younger, we lost a lot in his age bracket already.

He's had three years on our lists, heading into his fourth.

Whats worth more to us - Pick 24 or Crisp?
Depends which Crisp you are talking about. The Crisp that played the last third of the season I value more than pick 24. The Crisp prior to that, I'd probably go the pick. Which Crisp we going to get next year if we keep him is the big unknown for me. He might be on an upward trajectory or he might not.

We may not have pick 24/25 when it finally gets to draft week. It all comes down to what we have to use to acquire our academy kids. Depending how they go this week we may have no choice but to give up 4 and Crisp or go hunting for an early 2nd round pick with Patfull or Merrett which i would rather not do.

Mods on this board seem to do 10% of their work during the season and 90% from the moment that siren goes in round 23. Good to see we broke ZoBlitz early.

Thread has gotten to the stage where the content resets itself every 5-10 posts with a "pick 4 or nothing" or "pick 4 won't do it".

I would personally like to see us acquire Beams this year. I think it would be our loss if we were to miss out on this opportunity. It would be a sizable gamble on our part to give Collingwood another 12 months to work on the situation. I actually disagree that its a no harm/loss/risk situation for us. If we fail to secure the trade we lose the services of one of the competitions best midfielders who (on balance) will likely provide more to the club than draft picks or fringe players (what we'll have to give up).

What I do love is Swann. When Holmes was in charge, as a member I felt that the club was just meandering along in a sense trying to stay afloat with little media attention (which is a bit dramatic but there wasn't much to be excited about). Since Swann has taken over I've noticed a world of difference. The best way I can describe it is that Swann has now said to the local and broader football community that the Brisbane Lions are open for business. I'm excited.

Absolutely agree...he actually sets the agenda for the media and people sit up and listen. I just love the way he gets headlines and has his say about things that up until now needed to be said but weren't, e.g. compo pick for Frawley should not be #3

We may not have pick 24/25 when it finally gets to draft week. It all comes down to what we have to use to acquire our academy kids. Depending how they go this week we may have no choice but to give up 4 and Crisp or go hunting for an early 2nd round pick with Patfull or Merrett which i would rather not do.
I am assuming we'll still have our second rounder once the academy process is over. I think it is a safe assumption.

If bidding our second rounder on an Academy player potentially costs us a chance to get Beams, then I suspect we won't bid our second rounder.

I am assuming we'll still have our second rounder once the academy process is over. I think it is a safe assumption.

If bidding our second rounder on an Academy player potentially costs us a chance to get Beams, then I suspect we won't bid our second rounder.
Yeah true good call

I hope this can be resolve quickly. I'm starting to get the irrits with the situation. The trade scenarios being thrown around... ugh.

I don't envy Collingwood's predicament. Losing those five youngsters last year was tough. Real tough.

However for the first time in forever an elite footballer has picked our club as his prefferred destination. We must be strong but fair. Too good of an oppodtunity.

However for the first time in forever an elite footballer has picked our club as his prefferred destination. We must be strong but fair. Too good of an oppodtunity.

Frozen fan huh? Maybe Collingwood should follow suit re Beams and just Let It Go...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus I just can't see any of the academy kids as being worthy of a top 25 pick. But yeah, I agree I don't think we can risk losing it. I reckon 4 & 24 / 5 & 25 will be used by Collingwood to lure someone from another club.

Last edited:
Can't believe I'm hoping for the Pies to get a bargain with Moore slipping to their 2nd pick.

Trade week does whacky things to one's priorities and allegiances.

This is what the club would be stewing over atm I think. They'd probably prefer some sort of assurance as to whether we'll need pick 24 for beams trade or not.
This is assuming we rate any of the academy boys that early, if one was bid on.
Could it be coincidence that all of a sudden merrett and patfulls names are being thrown up for trade? Gives us another trade angle.

Can't believe I'm hoping for the Pies to get a bargain with Moore slipping to their 2nd pick.

Trade week does whacky things to one's priorities and allegiances.

Not sure if bundling pick 4 & 8 was said for our benefit, I think it was more sowing the seed for other clubs (Dangerfield and Adelaide) Which is sounding more and more unlikely.

If it falls this way, Collingwood might be happy with only putting 2 highly rated youngsters on their list (Moore and Pick 8) and really push us for an established talent, either on our list or finding a 3rd party (which complicates the situation more for us)

It's something out of our hands, and could change the outcome in a few different ways. Whatever happens, happens

Collingwood can bank on 4, we have offered it. Buckley will need a player as they don't want to be in a rebuild. I think they should but lets not complicate the discussion.

What other players could the Pies get for pick 4?

Collingwood can bank on 4, we have offered it. Buckley will need a player as they don't want to be in a rebuild. I think they should but lets not complicate the discussion.

What other players could the Pies get for pick 4?
Probably 2nd tier or fringe with upside, so Harwood, Golby or Lester seem most bearable.

OR Patfull to GWS (presuming Merrett doesn't also go) and one of those GWS kids that want to go 'home'.

He's had three years on our lists, heading into his fourth.

Thanks. He really did play some good footy late last year. We need players of his age after TGH5. Beams is a gun but I wouldn't like to see Crisp go.

Could a Merrett to Melbourne trade involve trading pick 5 for pick 2 which we'd send to Collingwood for Beams?

Only problem is Melbourne probably wouldn't want to lose Brayshaw to Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back