Universal Love Jack Dyer Medal 2014 - Congratulations Trent Cotchin

Remove this Banner Ad

Votes per game of the top 20 (plus Astbury). I couldn't find the votes for the players that finished outside the top 20.

Miles - 13.69
Rance - 12.78
Cotchin - 12.70
Maric - 12.43
Ellis - 12.30
Deledio - 12.11
Martin - 12.09
Astbury - 11.38
Edwards - 11.22
Riewoldt - 11.00
Chaplin - 10.35
Houli - 9.91
Grimes - 9.68
Newman - 9.67
Foley - 9.56
Morris - 9.38
Grigg - 9.27
Petterd - 8.88
Griffiths - 8.56
Vlastuin - 8.00
Conca - 7.53

So Morris was 16th for votes per game and Chaplin was 11th. That seems about right.
Brilliant. Gives a much better indication of where players are at.

Honestly, how many times was he beaten by his opponent this year?
never been a big wrap for morris, but reckon his votes were fair enuff, blundered and struggled his way thru but often played on match winners and held his own....
Le Cras, Betts, and Thomas quickly spring to mind that he won the duals fair and square.

Congratulations Trent Cotchin.

So what if Cotchin wasn't as good as he was in 2012, he still go the votes to win the B&F.

Some here are talking like it's a travesty that Cotchin's won it, just because he hasn't regained that sensational form of 2012 where he almost won the Brownlow.

Edit - any winner of the Jack Dyer medal would be humbled to recieve the award, but at the end of the day it's an individual award and we're after team success so bring on bigger and better things in 2015.

Last edited:
1. Trent Cotchin
2. Brandon Ellis
3. Dustin Martin
4. Shane Edwards
5. Jack Riewoldt
6. Troy Chaplin
7. Brett Deledio
7. Alex Rance
9. Bachar Houli
10. Steven Morris

That is embarassing. Chaplin FMD. Edwards... FM Swinging. Morris LOL.
If Rance cant get recognised by his own club, he should leave. Spoze... its fitting to end the year like this.

To sort out the Dusty v Cotchin Argument on who had the better year is it possible to do a hypothetical 3-2-1 Brownlow count on the games based on the three highest scores on each game?
I don't have the game by game results, but it would be intriguing to see if the result would be altered
I know why the club has such a spread of votes as it gives a spread /ranking of the players over the year etc etc but a 3-2-1 ranking would make a different topic of debate

To sort out the Dusty v Cotchin Argument on who had the better year is it possible to do a hypothetical 3-2-1 Brownlow count on the games based on the three highest scores on each game?
I don't have the game by game results, but it would be intriguing to see if the result would be altered
I know why the club has such a spread of votes as it gives a spread /ranking of the players over the year etc etc but a 3-2-1 ranking would make a different topic of debate
yep, a masturbate :p

Think the voting system needs to be changed. IMO it should just be 5 judges giving a 5,4, 3, 2, 1...

Reward the best players every week not the players that are consistently "ok"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cotchin had the better year people just forget how dominate he was early where from memory he was in the top 3 of brownlow betting after the first 3 or 4 games had a lull mid season and then was great at the tail end of the year . Martin had a good patch during the middle of the year yet was terrible early when tried off half back and was dissapointung in the later part of the year . Ellis on the other hand was good every 2 or 3 weeks .
Edwards and Chaplin are the real surprises to me , as I felt both were struggling to hold their spot early where they gained the most votes .

Sigh...
Cannot believe that people have meltdowns over the best and fairest too!
It's just an award for the players!
Just because your favorite player doesn't win,or someone you dont like does well doesn't make it wrong.

Sigh...
Cannot believe that people have meltdowns over the best and fairest too!
It's just an award for the players!
Just because your favorite player doesn't win,or someone you dont like does well doesn't make it wrong.
I'm happy for Cotchin. He's just as much a deserved winner as anyone, especially with his captaincy role - however you'd be a nutter to say he was better than Martin consistently throughout the year.

That is embarassing. Chaplin FMD. Edwards... FM Swinging. Morris LOL.
If Rance cant get recognised by his own club, he should leave. Spoze... its fitting to end the year like this.

Rance was recognised, he polled more votes per game than anyone not named Miles. He just missed too many games to finish any higher. Edwards, Morris and Chaplin finished as high as they did because guys like Deledio, Rance, Maric and Miles missed big chunks of the season.

I'm happy for Cotchin. He's just as much a deserved winner as anyone, especially with his captaincy role - however you'd be a nutter to say he was better than Martin consistently throughout the year.
It wasn't that cut and dried!
There wasn't much between them really.
I think another thing people are forgetting is that if we could magically remove Cotchins name from the board,Martin still doesn't win.
Ellis does. Fair enough too.

It wasn't that cut and dried!
There wasn't much between them really.
I think another thing people are forgetting is that if we could magically remove Cotchins name from the board,Martin still doesn't win.
Ellis does. Fair enough too.
I see where you're coming from, so it's really just a personally preference. I think Martin did a lot of things more that were beneficial and match winning and had better form consistently than Cotchin & Ellis (from what I recall of the start of the season) did. It might seem a bit silly comparing Martin to Cotchin, as Ellis was slotted right in between them - another deserved winner, had he won.

Glad Cotchin is a 3x JDM winner now though. Also glad we have him at our club

It's not an easy to question to answer unless we go back round by round and see who he played on. I can say the amount of times I remember him trailing in his opponent in for a mark or beaten in a 1 on 1 was very high and probably only exceeded by Troy Chaplin. Or the amount of times he made a poor decision or skill error was very high. That's how I remember his season. His shoulder has nothing to do with the second part.
Once again, you're missing the point regarding how the votes are awarded. They don't take votes off you because you lost a 1-1 contest in the 3rd quarter, nor do they take votes off of you because you made a disposal error. They do give you votes however based on how you perform the role asked of you each week and most weeks despite the odd error Morris beat his opponents or kept them quiet enough that they didn't have a massive impact.

Cotchin had the better year people just forget how dominate he was early where from memory he was in the top 3 of brownlow betting after the first 3 or 4 games had a lull mid season and then was great at the tail end of the year . Martin had a good patch during the middle of the year yet was terrible early when tried off half back and was dissapointung in the later part of the year . Ellis on the other hand was good every 2 or 3 weeks .
Edwards and Chaplin are the real surprises to me , as I felt both were struggling to hold their spot early where they gained the most votes .
Chaplin got 18 votes in the EF
I think you get votes for putting the boots on and for the number of times you fall over
Imo The system needs over hauling

Can't believe the meltdowns over the B&F results. Cotchins year was very consistent so too was Ellis', Martin was a little flashier and Rance Deledio Miles & Maric missed large chunks of the season so had too much ground to make up to be contenders. Still when you look at Barry_Badrinath breakdown of the votes per game it gives an idea of who did have big impacts and Martin might not have been top 5 had the others played all season. I've got no issue with the results based on the way votes are awarded, they are about right. Funny thing is if Martin didn't miss that game against the Saints he probably wins and I'd suggest everyone would be happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back