List Mgmt. Dan Gorringe requests trade to Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The beauty of picking up both Ryder and Gorringe in the same off season is that we'll be able to develop Gorringe properly and not have to throw him to the wolves of late 20 many season hardened ruckmen in the AFL from square one. I know he has stated that he is moving for more opportunities, but surely he recognises at Port Adelaide he will probably at best, assuming no major injuries to Lobbe or Ryder, will at best be used sparingly next season to rest Lobbe and Ryder. This allows us to work with him and get him primed to start playing some great footy when he gets into that 24 years + age bracket which ruckmen generally need to hit before playing consistent, solid footy.

Our ruck stocks will go from being some of the barest to best in 1 off-season, especially if Redden can get on top of his injuries.

Enter: Rhode. Get it done

What players do you think will be on offer lads ? cant see us wanting any more draft picks as we have 6 in the top 44 already with only 5 postions to fill.

I'm hoping, for my own sanity, we can get a deal done early next week.

You just know Essendon are going to drag the Ryder thing out as long as they possibly can.

To the more informed...whats orange worth?
Seeing as they may be having a spring season clean out to free up list spots & room in the salary cap we should be able to get him for a pick in the mid 30's.

What players do you think will be on offer lads ? cant see us wanting any more draft picks as we have 6 in the top 44 already with only 5 postions to fill.
Not sure any of our best 23-27 players that might be shopped around will slot into your best 22, you could always upgrade 2 picks in the 30's to a late first/early second round there have been a few trades like that in the last few years.

What do you think he's worth?

Last edited:
Yeah, Round 15, 2012. Hit out count that night was Jacobs 61-Lobbe 12. Sure enough we lost that game by 58 points.
Only two that were better but neither AFL. Max Gawn in the VFL with 80 hitouts. Gary Dempsey with 63 in 1982 before the AFL was formed. There are total team hitouts as high as 79 but with the individual short of the record. Such as GWS this year when Shane Mumford had 60 hitouts and GWS had 79. Or West Coast when they had 70 and Dean Cox had 34 and Scott Lycett 32.

Could I ask without being abused, what would Lobbe be worth?

Could we be posturing to potentially get, Cameron by trading Lobbe, Ryder with Pick 16, Gorringe to join in ruck (2nd), Lowden to be a back up and potentially target Giles for the maturity?

I know I have been defending group dynamics and all but if that was possible I would consider. Lobbe's tap work is ok, not outstanding. He has no real possession influence around the ground, he has great tackling pressure, so in other words he is a bit limited as a ruckman.

Could we be posturing to potentially get, Cameron by trading Lobbe, Ryder with Pick 16, Gorringe to join in ruck (2nd), Lowden to be a back up and potentially target Giles for the maturity?

I know I have been defending group dynamics and all but if that was possible I would consider. Lobbe's tap work is ok, not outstanding. He has no real possession influence around the ground, he has great tackling pressure, so in other words he is a bit limited as a ruckman.
My thoughts when Gorringe still wanted in. Lobster is the kind of trade we would have to do. There's a feeling something is going on.

thatsapaddlin.png

:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thoughts when Gorringe still wanted in. Lobster is the kind of trade we would have to do. There's a feeling something is going on.

If the rumours are true about Cameron, the above scenario would be best fit to try and get it to work. Saint's Melbourne etc could through a low pick for Lobbe. Allows us to have something to offer for Cameron to us, plus replenish our rucks

Ken seems to love Lobbe. He's always sending him lots of love in his pressers.

Would be interesting to see how we get these trades done though. You have to expect a little bit of collateral damage

If the rumours are true about Cameron, the above scenario would be best fit to try and get it to work. Saint's Melbourne etc could through a low pick for Lobbe. Allows us to have something to offer for Cameron to us, plus replenish our rucks
Would also confirm my suspicion that Ken is actually Keyser Söze.

Lobbe's strength outside his ruckwork is his contested ball and tackling. He doesn't really mark enough or win enough outside ball, but he's still developing.

Gorringe, surprise surprise, is a big man who still needs time to develop. There is a reason you don't draft ruckmen. You have no idea if they'll come good until they're close to their mid 20s at least. By the time a ruckman really hits his prime he's an unrestricted free agent, so why not just wait and cherry pick?

Lobbe's strength outside his ruckwork is his contested ball and tackling. He doesn't really mark enough or win enough outside ball, but he's still developing.

Gorringe, surprise surprise, is a big man who still needs time to develop. There is a reason you don't draft ruckmen. You have no idea if they'll come good until they're close to their mid 20s at least. By the time a ruckman really hits his prime he's an unrestricted free agent, so why not just wait and cherry pick?

Lobbe doesn't get much ball though anyway. So his two attributes are tackling and Hitouts, but hit outs aren't that effective IMO.

Saying that, I'm not a Lobbe hater.

Mmmm. The two greatest ruckmen of the current generation were both rookie listers. Josh Fraser was numero uno.

Lobbe doesn't get much ball though anyway. So his two attributes are tackling and Hitouts, but hit outs aren't that effective IMO.

His hitouts are underrated.

Wines' over the shoulder snap against Freo. How'd the ball get out there?

I'm not of the opinion that we need a new starting ruckman.

I definitely think we need a ruck/fwd (but i'd take a pure KPF instead) and backup ruckmen.

Lobbe is a perfectly good AFL level first ruck and replacing him is not a priority.

I am sort of on this page too.

Lobbe seems to be a workhorse thriving on minutes played. recruiting Ryder and not playing him in he ruck for large periods of time would be pointless. If Lobbe doesn't ruck for more than 70% of the game I don't see a point in playing him because his around the ground efforts. Some ruckman just cannot play with another ie Goldstein. I have serious worries about Lobbe if he doesn't grow his uncontested game next year

That gives us 4 rucks. Now I don't know salaries etc, but is having all three of Ryder/Lobbe/Redden on our list a good use of resources given we may struggle to play them all - and Redden has had injury concerns, or is there an argument to trade Redden (if he carries enouhg value) and effectively re[place him with another Ruck/Forward - (ie Lowden).

Ie - would you prefer:
1) Ryder/Lobbe/Redden/Gorringe + possible rookie ruck; or
2) Ryder/Lobbe/Gorringe/Lowden+ possible rookie ruck

Obviously on paper 1 is better option, but what if option 2 means we need to give up less other picks/players.
I know its extreme, but what if taking option 1 over 2 meant we had to give up a Young type over a Mitchell type. (citing a somewhat extreme case).

And of course the other mitigation is that some feel Redden could play as a pure forward.

I want something like
Lobbe/Ryder/Gorringe/Lowden + Redden rookied + Baulderstone rookie

I want to load up this year and not have to worry about ruckmen for a couple of years. We can always ditch a ruckmen next October if need be. It gives us the maximum big man flexibility at both AFL level and developing the players at SANFL level. Harvey + Shaw will never have to play ruck next year unless we have unbelievably bad luck with injuries.

The trouble with trying to put Redden on the rookie list is he might be snapped up by someone else in the draft. We still have to pay him his full contract value but at least some of it would be outside the TPP cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back