Guy McKenna sacked as Gold Coast coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Or perhaps Thompson knows about the inner working of Adelaide and wants nothing to do with them?

After all, Alistair Clarkson also gave them a whack in grand final week, and he has no connection to Sanderson as far as I'm aware.

Clarkson is a fool, Hawthorn will put him down like a lame horse if they feel he is no longer the best person for the job any longer. He has the luxury of feeling loyalty exists because the players executed, if the players failed to perform then he would be holding a board up for someone else.

How does his club feel about loyalty when they are constantly sniffing around other clubs looking for players to be disloyal to boost their chances of winning a flag?

Everyone in this business is a whore, I just can't stand those who stand on the soap box and proclaim to be virgins in this industry of whores.

Would you really put it past GCS (who are basically a limb of the AFL) to do such a thing?

They have been in touch with Hird incase they don't get Thompson.

Wow, so you are a Swans supporter now? For good?
If you had turned around and said they had contact Sando people would accept that as highly plausible, JH no chance.

Anyway Tania would have to move from Melbourne and the humidity might effect her makeup

But isn't that part of the problem? Ablett goes down and they cant even raise an effort, what does that say about the rest of the team that he has supposedly developed? they completely fell apart losing 6 of there last 7 and 10 of there last 13, to me that is a team that is not in a good shape moving forward.
It wasn't really what I was getting at though, I was talking more about his interests than the club's interests. If Ablett didn't get injured they probably would have played finals and McKenna may have stuck around to win flags. Another pre-season may have solved some of the problems.

Interesting...

Jared Brennan @JJ_Brennan
So I just heard bluey got the flick....damn, a year late!!! In all seriousness though, 1/2

Jared Brennan @JJ_Brennan
feel for the players that didn't get the chance to develop and excel because of his stubbornness and one minded ways. 2/2

Clarkson is a fool, Hawthorn will put him down like a lame horse if they feel he is no longer the best person for the job any longer. He has the luxury of feeling loyalty exists because the players executed, if the players failed to perform then he would be holding a board up for someone else.

How does his club feel about loyalty when they are constantly sniffing around other clubs looking for players to be disloyal to boost their chances of winning a flag?

Everyone in this business is a whore, I just can't stand those who stand on the soap box and proclaim to be virgins in this industry of whores.
Yes, he's a fool…

He didn't say "Hawthorn will never do wrong by me". He just bagged the Crows; that's it.

Thompson probably doesn't have an in-principle objection to taking another coach's job (he basically did it with Knights after all). The problem for Thompson, as with Clarkson, is the way Adelaide is run as a club.

everyone is looking at this the wrong way.... it isn't necessarily the results.... i point you in the direction of j harbrow. that issue, and general player unrest with bluey, and the way he played favourites ( and no it wasn't playing favroties with the christian boys). i think he has lost the ability to command the respect and standards from the players.
Is McKenna religious?

Youd think with the money being invested, the AFL would want big guns there from the start. Even now youd wonder if they have room to experiment.

Trouble is how many big guns are available who are motivated to take on such a big job ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn't really what I was getting at though, I was talking more about his interests than the club's interests. If Ablett didn't get injured they probably would have played finals and McKenna may have stuck around to win flags. Another pre-season may have solved some of the problems.

Not sure they would have played finals even if he didn't get injured, they were already in decline losing 4 of there last 5 before he went down.

We shouldnt underestimate how Ill clarko was and maybe he wants the stability of the current hawks and not the hassle of turning a club around again

Especially when said club who has 'shadows' behind the scenes who seem to making gary lyon look more like jason dunstall

Siffice to say adelaide will probably get second choice here, because they have a certain unattracivenss about them, particularly if you're not south australian

Very harsh. One suspects that Ablett injury will forever be a sliding doors moment for McKenna and his legacy. That must sting.

That said, most new clubs seem to only have the inaugural coach stick around for 2 or 4 years. Follows a pattern.

I can understand an expansion club getting nervous, but if he was sacked to make way for Thompson, I really doubt that would have been worth it.
Sacking a coach also sends a clear message to the players that what they have delivered is not good enough, a lot of money and draft picks have gone into the Suns they need success quickly to start to make a mark in a very tough market.

Sacking a coach also sends a clear message to the players that what they have delivered is not good enough, a lot of money and draft picks have gone into the Suns they need success quickly to start to make a mark in a very tough market.
I hear ya but it's only been 4 years!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back