getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
Just realised while looking at the club website that it is 6 years today since the great man was taken from our worldly life, in the prime of his life.

Feels like only yesterday when I was listening to the radio that fateful morning of October 1 2007 and heard of Mainy's passing.

Believe it's only fitting to post thoughts and pictures in here. My apologies if there is already an old thread created but it is definitely something that should be revisited on the 1st of October each year.

Thoughts are with Rani, his kids, extended family and close friends today.

18200-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

terribly sad....great player, great bloke....cant believe its 6 years already. RIP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a kid I spent a absolute mess of time at PMH after having leukaemia for about 5 years on and off. The player who came in every single week, sometimes two times a week to play with kids. Chris Mainwairing.

He came so often he got to know all the kids by name. One day he found me out and brought me a signed personalised Sherrin. He would collect one from after training and every time he would sign one, personalise it and give it to a kid. Every single one of us long termers all got a football signed by Chris Mainwairing. When McDonalds opened up near the hospital he would bring us all McDonalds too (after asking parents permission of course).

My missus works with Telethon so I got to meet him/kind of know him when I grew up too. No player has ever had such a charitable personality. The way he dies is irrelevant, the way he lived is. The disrespect he gets for 15 seconds in his life is disgraceful given the way he lived the rest of it. He was geniunely the nicest player you will ever meet. Im glad he can keep giving to the hospital even though he isnt here. Its what he did every single week he was on this Earth.

Actually left out a big part of the story now I read back

I met my missus when I was 13. When he found out we were dating later on he organised us to go to a restaurant in Leederville for free. Kind of funny how 15 or so years later they were working so closely together to set up the Mainwairing match.

Its important to note that with or without him the footy legends match for Telethon was going to happen as he was the driving force behind it. Something which Im not too sure people realise

Still remember watching his funeral on tv. Was terribly sad to see his young kids go up the front with their father in that coffin, actually makes me teary writing this, maybe from a selfish POV, thinking about my own very young kids. Anyway the thing I remember was just after it finished they crossed back to the channel 7 studio and Rick Ardon was in tears on live TV, very sad for all involved. RIP

Still remember watching his funeral on tv. Was terribly sad to see his young kids go up the front with their father in that coffin, actually makes me teary writing this, maybe from a selfish POV, thinking about my own very young kids. Anyway the thing I remember was just after it finished they crossed back to the channel 7 studio and Rick Ardon was in tears on live TV, very sad for all involved. RIP

Yeah I remember Rick Ardon crying on telly vividly.

I had uni the morning of his funeral, got back to my flat towards the end of the telecast, my flatmates were all watching the funeral. We were all feeling and commenting how sad it was, then when it cut back to Rick Ardon talking then welling up saying something like 'Mainy, we will miss you mate', we all lost it. So tragic.

Met him several times up at aqua - really approachable guy - i oooked up the first time i met him and just stood there gaping - he saw i was a bit nonplussed and walzed straight in- stuck his hand out and introduced himself.

No ego - no a-hole about him - unlike some of the other eagles i met through working in clubland.

Rip

Great post cole, makes me regret the times I haven't stuck up for mainy enough, and how huge he was to our club when dickheads have a dig. What a great guy.
Love the big hug with cuz after the last flag, great moment on our history..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back