Sports travel

Glacier

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
close
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hi all

A few mates and I are thinking of heading to England for the next Ashes series and its got me thinking, I would love to hear what sporting events you have seen overseas or would dream, sell right arm to see

For me, I can't wait to go see the cricket in England but would also love to see the soccer World Cup in Rio, dream on !!
I have seen the Dallas Cowboys in the US , also the baseball in Boston

I was at Edgbaston for the '99 World Cup semi, amazing game, I also saw India play South Africa in Capetown, the first Test played there after the Apartheid ban was lifted in '92. They had a minutes silence for Danie Craven at the first drinks break which I remember thinking must have confused the Indians who aren't that big on rugger.
The only problem you find with Test cricket in England is that tickets can be hard to come by.

England Football...
Championship - Reading vs Preston North End (front row)
Premier League - West Ham vs Manchester United (5th row)
Premier League - Bolton Wanderers vs West Ham United
Premier League - Hull City vs Tottenham Hotspur (front row)

England Rugby League...
Super League - Huddersfield vs St Helens

England Cricket...
Tour - Lords

German Football...
Bundesliga - Hertha Berlin vs Bayern Munich (74k in attendance)

USA Basketball...
NBA - LA Clippers vs Minnesota
NBA - Golden State vs Sacramento (went into overtime)

USA Baseball...
Ballpark Tour - San Francisco
Ballpark Tour - Seattle

Canada Hockey...
NHL - Vancouver vs Dallas

NZ Cricket...
Domestic T20 - Central Stags vs Northern Knights :p

Next month, going back to NZ, will see NZ vs West Indies in a T20 at Eden Park, and then fantastically scheduled is a Melbourne Victory game at Wellington.

cutterman

Team Captain
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Went to Old Trafford to see the mighty Reds play United in Feb 2012, was the game after the Suarez and Evra racism row. Atmosphere was unbelievable, tense, on edge, between two sides who hate each other. Cost me $1300 for two tickets and accommodation in Manchester for the night but worth every cent and then some. Got it through an Aussie tour company, and even if not a fan of the soccer I highly recommend it.

Did a Lord's tour, was amazing sitting in the Long Room and looking at the Ashes urn itself.

In the US have seen Knicks v Bulls at Madison Square Garden (Bulls won by 3pts, Rose in full flight something to behold) and Wolves v Nets at Prudential Centre (Anthony Morrow scored 45pts, wont see that again!). In the ice hockey have seen the New York Rangers v New Jersey Devils at MSG (NJ winning 1-0, NY had a goal disallowed with 1sec left, thought there was gunna be a Simpsons like riot, bottles were thrown onto ice, but order was restored).

Was in NYC when the Giants won the Superbowl, very lucky, went to the tickertape parade and the atmosphere around the city was electric all week prior and after.

Going back to the US over Christmas and have got courtside seats to Nets v Bucks at Barclay's Centre, not the greatest sides but can't wait to get up close to the action ($590 each though) and lower level tickets to Golden State v Denver at Oracle Arena. I've heard the home GSW crowd is awesome, so looking forward to that. Will get tickets to the hockey and NFL later on, hopefully sneak some cheapies on stubhub, as a much bigger NBA fan than any other US sport, wanted to lock those in.

Top of the bucket list is doing a full Ashes tour in the UK, that is a must do, especially after seeing Lord's. As well as the US Masters at Augusta and a Liverpool match at Anfield. That could be something for when I get my long service leave!

carn_freo

Debutant
Sep 22, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
I've seen the rangers vs red wings at MSG. Heat vs mavericks in Miami, the first time they met after playing off for the championship. NY jets vs Indianapolis and a bunch of hockey games when I was in Canada.

gotta say tho, nothing seems to beat the atmosphere of a close dockers home game ;)

BERT

All Australian
Feb 28, 2003
in a gutter
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Victory.
I went to a Jets v Miami game @ Metlife last year. Miami flogged them so the atmosphere wasn't good. Wanted to go to a NHL game but it was during the lockout.
Hopefully I'll get to a Yankees v Red Sox game next year when I'm in NY.
I'd love to do the world cup in Rio,
A West Indies cricket tour would be fantastic.
If I get to Europe it'll be a soccer tour. I'd be going to games every day.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Went to Europe last October/November and planned the trip around venues I could get tickets to with ease on the weekends I was in the cities I was in.

Chelsea vs Norwich at Stamford Bridge
France vs Japan International at Stade de France
Racing Metro vs Munster at Stade de France
Real Madrid vs Celta Vigo at Santiago Bernabéu
VfB Stuttgart vs Eintracht Frankfurt at Mercedes-Benz Arena
Bayern Munich vs FC Kaiserslautern at Allianz Arena

Toured Camp Nou and Bernabéu, the Spain Olympic museum in Barcelona was worth the time to see plus the Olympic Stadium was open and unlocked so I just walked in and had a look around. Ended up drinking with the Stuttgart ultras in the best cost saving messure ever:D

Best Stadium was the Stade de France. Best value was the two games in Paris, 35 euros for both game on back to back days on the second level for an international Football match and a European Cup Rugby Union match.

Also saw the Seattle Mariners play in May 2011 at Safeco Field. Want to see the Seahawks play at the CLink and a few College games as well as a NHL game in Canada.

Add in Wimbledon, an overseas Olympics and a World Cup. But they are way off.

I'm planning to go to game German games, a Rangers match, plus a World Cup Downhill Ski race in Austria next Jan/Feb

Rangers vs Peguins @ MSG - Home team won, probably the best atmosphere of the US sports I've attended
Knicks vs Bucks @ MSG - Melo dropped 41pts, chants of MVP, got a commemorative championship ring for the 72-73 anniversary
Yankees vs Red Sox @ Yankee Stadium - Andy Petite pitched well, Mariano Rivera got his first save of his final season. Lined up to enter stadium in front of Eva Longoria
Giants vs Rockies @ AT & T Park - Lincecum was wild, Tulo hit a no doubter of Timmy. Missed out on getting a world champions snow globe
Lakers vs Spurs @ Staples - Kobe was injured, Blake was good, Gasol was rubbish

UFC 110 Sydney - Best atmosphere of the UFC events held in Sydney, crowd was pumped during the whole event, even prelims
UFC 127 Sydney - Don't remember much from this event
UFC on FX Sydney - Got expensive tix, only two rows behid Jake Shields
UFC on FX Gold Coast - Disappointed George lost, Great to see Lombard beat up Palhares

To do list:
Olympics
World Cup
Philly Eagles
Wimbledon
United at Old Trafford

The_Todd07

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Red Sox 76ers
When I went to Europe I planned the time when I went so that I could see Man United at Old Trafford before my tour and go to Wimbledon after.

Next year when I go to South America I'm ending in Brazil for the World Cup.
After last night draw I will be seeing-
Spain v Chile
Ecuador v France
Portugal v USA

I've always wanted to do a sports tour of the US.
One of my friends on facebook is doing something similar and they have been to everything.
NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL and College Football off the top of my head

Ghostwriter

Cancelled
10k Posts RIP North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor
Aug 20, 2002
Petrie Motlop sponsor '03
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Went to Old Trafford to see the mighty Reds play United in Feb 2012, was the game after the Suarez and Evra racism row. Atmosphere was unbelievable, tense, on edge, between two sides who hate each other. Cost me $1300 for two tickets and accommodation in Manchester for the night but worth every cent and then some. Got it through an Aussie tour company, and even if not a fan of the soccer I highly recommend it.

Did a Lord's tour, was amazing sitting in the Long Room and looking at the Ashes urn itself.

In the US have seen Knicks v Bulls at Madison Square Garden (Bulls won by 3pts, Rose in full flight something to behold) and Wolves v Nets at Prudential Centre (Anthony Morrow scored 45pts, wont see that again!). In the ice hockey have seen the New York Rangers v New Jersey Devils at MSG (NJ winning 1-0, NY had a goal disallowed with 1sec left, thought there was gunna be a Simpsons like riot, bottles were thrown onto ice, but order was restored).

Was in NYC when the Giants won the Superbowl, very lucky, went to the tickertape parade and the atmosphere around the city was electric all week prior and after.

Going back to the US over Christmas and have got courtside seats to Nets v Bucks at Barclay's Centre, not the greatest sides but can't wait to get up close to the action ($590 each though) and lower level tickets to Golden State v Denver at Oracle Arena. I've heard the home GSW crowd is awesome, so looking forward to that. Will get tickets to the hockey and NFL later on, hopefully sneak some cheapies on stubhub, as a much bigger NBA fan than any other US sport, wanted to lock those in.

Top of the bucket list is doing a full Ashes tour in the UK, that is a must do, especially after seeing Lord's. As well as the US Masters at Augusta and a Liverpool match at Anfield. That could be something for when I get my long service leave!

Went to a Portland v Sacramento College football game, only about 10k there, not the same as you but what the hey.

Rohan25

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New York Knicks
Knicks vs Cavaliers at Madison Square Garden.

Rafael Nadal at court Phillippe Chatrier at Roland Garros.

Aussie Assault

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Seen MLB games in LA, San Diego, both Chicago fields.

Knicks vs Toronto @ MSG

Rangers vs Islanders @ MSG

Night races at Happy Valley, Hong Kong

Night races at Kranji, Singapore

Chelsea vs Southampton at Stamford

PSG vs Le Harve when Ronaldinho was there in the early 2000s

Bayern Munich vs Frankfurt @ Allianz

Out of all those the Hong Kong races were probably the best. The hockey was also amazing.

The big sporting events that I dream of getting to both start today actually. Pipeline Masters on Oahu's North Shore. Was there last month and just makes me want to be there one year more than ever. The other one is the big race meeting in Hong Kong today at Sha Tin.

cutterman

Team Captain
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Went to a Portland v Sacramento College football game, only about 10k there, not the same as you but what the hey.

I've heard College games can be great, haven't been able to (or been bothered to) research that deeply to work out how and when to get there. I have been extremely lucky with the sport I've been able to attend overseas, and the quality of games once I've got there. Maybe it's the big fella upstairs way of compensating me for a life of disappointment as a Richmond fan!

Shoey

Senior List
Nov 2, 2013
Bundoora, Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, Victory, Bulls, Canucks
Seen Vancouver V Calagary in NHL
not bad, was the same season when Canucks lost game 7 and the CBD turned to s**t because of the riots.

Tip: Don't buy off scalpers/craigslist, they'll charge you 4x the real amount, as scalping is legal in Canada (maybe in the USA too idk).

stanga

Senior List
Sep 23, 2006
berwick
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
atlanta braves
a guy at work is doing the fanatics tour of the world cup for his honeymoon , how he manged that i dnt know as she hates sport

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
World Cup 2006 is hands-down the best sporting experience I've had. The timing was just perfect as I was living in London at the time and it was before wife, kids etc. Did the Fanatics coach and camping tour and somehow jagged tickets to all 3 group games then managed to extend leave from work to stay for the Italy game and scalped a ticket for that. I still get goosebumps thinking about the last 10 minutes against Japan and Kewell's goal against Croatia. I also don't think many countries have the transport and accommodation infrastructure that can cope with a WC as well as Germany did.

If anyone has any thoughts of going to a World Cup then I'd suggest do everything you can to go in 2014. The fan experience will drop off massively for the next two - Russia seems to delight in making life difficult for tourists and you don't need me to explain why Qatar in mid-summer will suck.

Monkster

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2004
Geelong
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NY Rangers, NY Yankees, 49ers
Have been to Rangers VS Islanders and Rangers VS 'Canes both at MSG, Rangers lost the first one and won the second.

Would love to be at MSG for a Game 7 Stanley Cup and Yankee Stadium Game 7 World Series.

Crystal Palace vs West Ham
Arsenal vs Hull City
Crystal Palace vs Cardiff City
Arsenal vs Everton
Barcelona vs Cartegena

Later this year
Boise State vs Ole Miss
Connecticut vs Boise State
Boise State vs Louisiana-Lafayette
Atlanta season opener

Maybe some more ontop of that. Half expect NFL to have a game in New York on 9/11 (TNF) so can hopefully get to that.

May 25, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Storm, Pompey
I've been very lucky recently. Was living in London when the Olympics were on so I got to enjoy the general atmosphere of the Olympics in a foreign city and got along to the basketball, hockey and table tennis (also ducked out on my lunch break to see the road cycling race go by)

Saw a number of football matches of course, Ice hockey in Prague, Rugby League and NFL in London. Wimbledon aswell, although only the outside courts.

One of the best would be last year at Nottingham for the Ashes. I just happened to be there the day Agar made 98. One of the best days of cricket I have seen and watching the Ashes in England has been a dream of mine. Lords next (where I have worked at a few ODI's, but never seen Australia)

In the US I went to a Heat playoff game... LeBron is a freak. Saw Yankees beat the Redsox 11-9 in extra innings.. also been to a couple of other Yankees games aswell as a Dodgers game. Saw WNBA game at Madison Square Garden (all that was available)

Whenever I travel I try to fit some sport in.

To do:

Playoff game at Mile High/Superbowl
US Masters
Football World Cup
NHL playoffs
Complete Ashes tour

In 2012 i went to:

Tottenham v Newcastle, amazing atmosphere, we won 5-0:D
Lakers v Celtics at Staples Centre, we are Boston Fans but it was a full stadium full of noise.
Ranges v Sabres at MSG, didnt think i would enjoy NHL but i was wrong.. was epic.

In Feb next year we are heading overseas again and have the following lined up.

Boston v Philly in Boston
Fenway Park tour
Rangers at MSG again (can't remember opponent)
And hoping to catch one of the spring training baseball games in Orlando.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Booked to do the Innsbruck leg of the Four Hills Ski Jumping Tournament in the first week of January and have a ticket to Harlequins vs Northampton in the Big Game 7 at Twickenham on the 27th of Dec. Will fit in a few Premier League games on Boxing Day and New Years Day. Will try and get to a few Bundesliga matches after the winter break and also a few Eurobasket and Ice Hockey games.

Crystal Palace vs West Ham
Arsenal vs Hull City
Crystal Palace vs Cardiff City
Arsenal vs Everton
Barcelona vs Cartegena

Later this year
Boise State vs Ole Miss
Connecticut vs Boise State
Boise State vs Louisiana-Lafayette
Atlanta season opener

Maybe some more ontop of that. Half expect NFL to have a game in New York on 9/11 (TNF) so can hopefully get to that.
Those 3 games plus Atlanta Falcons-New Orleans Saints, Tottenham-QPR, FC United-Belper Town.
No other NFL aligned nicely :(

One of the best would be last year at Nottingham for the Ashes. I just happened to be there the day Agar made 98. One of the best days of cricket I have seen

Was there that day too. Nothing better than the English crowd slowly turn quiet. The innings itself was incredible.

Last year I went on a trip to Europe, that was mainly a sporting trip and crossed off a lot off the bucket list:
Roland Garros Semis and Final - Finals were still amazing even if it was Nadal winning in a whitewash.
ATP Halle - Interesting tournament that usually has a solid list including Federer, very bizarre place, basically imagine a massive tennis stadium in a small country town.
Wimbledon - Seeing Hewitt beat Wawrinka will go down as one of my favourite sporting memories of my life. Hewitt was my idol growing up so that was something I didn't think I would see in person. The whole 2 weeks was incredible, went about 9-10 days. Went to every court, did the whole wimby expreience, saw the doubles finals in person (easy to get seats after people leave the singles finals), loved it, want to go back.
British Open - Love Scotland, 4 days of watching great golf on a great golf course talking to cool people. That final round following Tiger and Adam around is one of the most surreal things to witness.

Want to the States now with the US Open/NFL, not sure when though.

Back