List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drafting or development issues? I still reckon Cripps and Crocker would've developed more at geelong

its hard to identify the root cause. at the end of the day you'd have to say the list management as a whole was absolute shite, both drafting and recruitment. so it makes it hard to say how much was development, given what the club has said publically, i'd say it was both

lol finey thinks ledger, crocker and cripps were the result of the coach watters being too involved in the draft process

jesus someone help him out
The guys that were drafted before Watters got here? God help him.

Crocker just showed how biased I am towards players that can kick. Pretty sure I was the only one still sticking up for him by the end!! :/

Crocker just showed how biased I am towards players that can kick. Pretty sure I was the only one still sticking up for him by the end!! :/
Still sucks he couldn't pull a Webster.

problem is some blokes, just give up after they get delisted. sometimes you wonder, if it'd have been different if they stayed on or found another home

Been on him all year; might as well go hard or go home... :p

Seriously though; tall, powerful, aggressive, strong hands, very good kick, huge upside. A lot to like.

Has got awful agility and is still quite raw and hit-and-miss though.
And he was brave enough to hit up our board to dispell some non-truths.... :thumbsu:

brett anderson thinks we are looking at membrey. pls no. staph
Im-Out.gif

Been on him all year; might as well go hard or go home... :p

Seriously though; tall, powerful, aggressive, strong hands, very good kick, huge upside. A lot to like.

Has got awful agility and is still quite raw and hit-and-miss though.
Didn't realise he was Warren McKenzies son.

Reasonable pedigree - probably would have been a father/son at Carlton except for the old mans knee injury.

Didn't realise he was Warren McKenzies son.

Reasonable pedigree - probably would have been a father/son at Carlton except for the old mans knee injury.
Yup. Rubbing Carlscum's nose in it is an added bonus.

So, I have reliable source from Edithvale-Aspendale back in the day. I was talking to him tonight, and he was saying he thinks it'd be great to get Jordan Kelly from the Hawks, and Brett O'Hanlon who's just been delisted from Richmond. Mainly for the rookie list, mind you. Here's his reasoning.

Kelly was actually messed with by Clarkson. Kelly was always noted for his aggression at the ball in contests, but had been told by Clarkson to "tone it down a bit, in case you break someone's jaw..." when going up for a spoil. This completely messed with Jordan's head, and made him extremely hesitant, double guessing himself, and that seriously damaged his game. Imagine if somebody told Lenny Hayes or somebody who attacks the ball like that to "tone it down a bit...". If we was put into an environment where his (entirely appropriate) aggression could be encouraged and honed, he'd probably go great.

O'Hanlon would a handy left-foot medium-tall forward, but was behind a few others in the pecking order at the Tiggers.

The other reason for getting them as rookies, is that they are VERY good friends with Sheil and Whitfield. If they have a good time with us, are treated fairly, and well, etc then they will probably put in a good word with those two (although Jordan wouldn't like it if he was just picked to get the other two, and not on his own merits). Currently, Sheil is very hesitant about coming to the Saints, because he doesn't want to go from one crap team at the bottom of the ladder to just join another one. HOWEVER, if we go up the ladder next year a little, seem to be on the improve, and his mates suggest it's a place on the up and with a good culture for young guys, then yeah, we'd be in a much stronger position when they come out of contract next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finey just had an awesome rant about why we wont trade pick 1 for Jaksch and JOR. He basically said you don't trade the number 1 pick for players that can't get a game in a bottom team because that is what low picks and rookie picks are for.

finally someone who shares the same views as me...finey of all people too!!!

So, I have reliable source from Edithvale-Aspendale back in the day. I was talking to him tonight, and he was saying he thinks it'd be great to get Jordan Kelly from the Hawks, and Brett O'Hanlon who's just been delisted from Richmond. Mainly for the rookie list, mind you. Here's his reasoning.

Kelly was actually messed with by Clarkson. Kelly was always noted for his aggression at the ball in contests, but had been told by Clarkson to "tone it down a bit, in case you break someone's jaw..." when going up for a spoil. This completely messed with Jordan's head, and made him extremely hesitant, double guessing himself, and that seriously damaged his game. Imagine if somebody told Lenny Hayes or somebody who attacks the ball like that to "tone it down a bit...". If we was put into an environment where his (entirely appropriate) aggression could be encouraged and honed, he'd probably go great.

O'Hanlon would a handy left-foot medium-tall forward, but was behind a few others in the pecking order at the Tiggers.

The other reason for getting them as rookies, is that they are VERY good friends with Sheil and Whitfield. If they have a good time with us, are treated fairly, and well, etc then they will probably put in a good word with those two (although Jordan wouldn't like it if he was just picked to get the other two, and not on his own merits). Currently, Sheil is very hesitant about coming to the Saints, because he doesn't want to go from one crap team at the bottom of the ladder to just join another one. HOWEVER, if we go up the ladder next year a little, seem to be on the improve, and his mates suggest it's a place on the up and with a good culture for young guys, then yeah, we'd be in a much stronger position when they come out of contract next year.
But isn't clarko a genius with developing kids? Oh that's right they don't bother, they prefer to just get hired help.

Not sure about the theory on recruiting GWS mates... Richmond have been s**t for 20 years, so if they let a player go we should steer clear - Pattison, polo were enough.

Reported on the Draft board that McKenzie ran a 2.87 in the 20m sprint as his best time! That would put him even with Jarrod Pickett and ahead of Connor Menadue, both boasting pace as their best asset!
200_s.gif

I don't mind driving a hard bargain for pick 1, but I was under the impression that Jaksch was still pretty highly regarded?
Key position players aren't expected to be dominating in their second year surely?

This is very Machiavellian and I love it.

We might not even need to improve our ladder position, just sell Kelly and O'Hanlon the message and get them fully on board they can then spread the word. It'd be like a cult recruiting new members.

Great post. I want Shiel and/or Whitfield bad.
My dad's a Richmond supporter and said "good, he's crap" when I told him O'Hanlon was delisted... I don't agree with much of what the old man says though, I don't recall really watching O'Hanlon play, is he any good? But if we picked him as a rookie to better our chances of Whitfield/Shiel then I'm all for it.

I don't mind driving a hard bargain for pick 1, but I was under the impression that Jaksch was still pretty highly regarded?
Key position players aren't expected to be dominating in their second year surely?
He was taken at pick 12 in a compromised draft (his true worth was probably more like 16/17 or so, out of his agegroup), has done little since, is out of contract and is likely to nominate a club of choice, all of which means that GWS are likely to get considerably less than they paid for him in the first place, putting his range anywhere from about 20 onwards, especially if what Brisbane got for their "departing 5" last year is anything to go by. Given that we have a pick around 21/22, there should be no need to include him in any trade for pick 1.

Doesn't mean he's no good, but he's not give-up-pick-1-in-order-to-get-him type good.

image.jpg

I can verify that Shiel, O'Hanlon and Kelly are all good mates who grew up playing for Edithvale-Aspendale from a very young age, and I'm guessing they would love to be playing AFL together. Another potential draft pick from Edi-Asp is Stingrays on-baller, Bailey Dale. He has had a very consistent year, and has excellent skills. Some regular TAC watchers say he was close to the best tackler in the TAC Cup this year. He is one of the favourites to win the Stingrays' B&F this year. Quite a few clubs have already interviewed him and he’s been invited to the Combine so they must want a closer look at him. Worth considering him for late/rookie pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back