Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

And of course, if the operation of the Murdoch press as a propaganda machine for the far right wasn't obvious enough before this year, especially after their involvement as a dirt machine for the Coalition while they had that Ashby scheme of theirs running, there was that hilarious reaction of theirs when the current government even tried to implement the most timid of media reform measures some months ago.

Yes, setting up an independent media oversight body to hear complaints from the public = Stalinism :D

HsN6pQ3.png

ei6LYMr.gif

Not sure if you're serious there Dory.

Previously I'd taken what you'd said with a fairly generous pinch of salt. I don't read the papers much (The SMH every now and then) so don't see a lot of the crap that gets put in the HUN/Australian/Tele but saw this photo and realised how accurate you were. I mean, they aren't even trying to hide the bias.

Yeah, it's becoming rather hard for the Coalition, their media apparatus and their fans to whitewash those antics now.

It's always amazed me how those who support the Murdoch agenda were able to so easily brush aside copious quantities of evidence about News Corp's behaviour in this country simply by reciting and repeating bogus slurs on the character of those who present the evidence.

Obviously I've been pushing uphill on that issue for a long while.

But now, virtually no-one except their own cheer squad believes their smear tactics any more.

There's plenty of good reasons why more and more people are turning to independent news outlets like New Matilda, Independent Australia and the King's Tribune instead.

Obviously there are many reasons why I desperately hope we avoid an Abbott govt, but one of the big ones is so the NBN fibre-to-the-home rollout continues to completion, putting the AFL (and Football Australia, the NRL, rugby union and Cricket Australia) in a viable position to provide subscription-based match coverage independent of Foxtel, like NBA League Pass, and screw Rupert Murdoch's income stream in Australia.

Thus destroying his ability to financially sustain his newspaper empire in this country, hitting the far-right echo chamber at its source, and removing the biggest obstacle to the emergence of a decent, diverse, intelligent and non-partisan mainstream media landscape again.

That's why the Murdoch propaganda machine has been ramped up even further over the last few years.

That's what it's all about. Stopping the NBN.

Murdoch sends trusted general 'Col Pot' to bring down Rudd over NBN

August 4, 2013

Paul Sheehan

The arrival of Col Allan in Australia is making a lot of people uneasy. Allan is a man widely known inside News Corp as Col Pot, a play on the name of the Cambodian genocidal dictator. He is News Corp's most feared flamethrower in a company of flamethrowers. He has been sent to Australia by Rupert Murdoch himself.

The purpose of his mission has become clear in recent days.

His primary target is Kevin Rudd.

Why Murdoch wants Rudd to lose the coming federal election is not merely political, it is commercial. News Corp hates the government's national broadband network. The company has formed a view that it poses a threat to the business model of by far its most important asset in Australia, the Foxtel cable TV monopoly it jointly owns with Telstra.

Murdoch has declared war on Rudd by dispatching his most trusted field general, Allan, whose reputation is built on his closeness to Murdoch and his long history of producing pungent front-page splashes and pugnacious campaigns as editor-in-chief of The Daily Telegraph and, for the past 12 years, The New York Post. Allan's mission is to help consign Rudd to the dustbin of history reserved for failed leaders.

The ramp-up of the war effort has been rapid and intense.

Friday, July 26: the chief executive of News Corp, Robert Thomson, announced in New York that Allan would be returning to Australia to provide "extra editorial leadership for our papers".

Monday, July 29: Allan is at work in Australia within 72 hours of the announcement.

Tuesday, July 30: he begins several days of meeting with editors. The message is simple and brutal: you have been going hard on Labor but now, with Rudd's revival in the opinion polls, you have to go harder.

Wednesday, July 31: he is spotted lunching with Lachlan Murdoch and other executives.

Friday, August 2: The Daily Telegraph depicts Rudd in a hoodie escaping from a bank he has just 'robbed', with the headline: "Rudd's $733m hoist on people's savings".

Saturday, August 3: The Australian ran four more negative (i.e. ludicrous) headlines about the Rudd government on its front page alone, including "Revealed: How Rudd blew $250bn". The Daily Telegraph splashes with a front-page banner headline: "Price of Labor - another huge budget shambles … and now we're $30bn in the red". In Melbourne, the Herald Sun took out page one with "It's a Ruddy mess".

On June 26, Rupert Murdoch used Twitter to write: ''Australian public now totally disgusted with Labor Party wrecking country with it's sordid intrigues. Now for a quick election".

Rudd's greatest failing, in the eyes of News Corp management, and the greatest threat he poses, is the NBN. The company much prefers the Coalition's less ambitious national broadband strategy, which offers an inferior capacity for downloading content at a time when consumer demand is shifting dramatically towards content-on-demand and content via computers.

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/mu...dd-over-nbn-20130803-2r6fk.html#ixzz2bOcSg6GR

Even after Rinehart's deliberate political perversion of Fairfax, they still hit the nail on the hammer every once in a blue moon.

Downloaded the update to the Tapatalk app the other day. Completely revamped, and a massive improvement on the old version. Much more useable now. Get on it. I think they now have an Android version too.

Hey wona you still going to set up an SRP asylum/embassy here in hell?

Yeah mate... been in and out a bit lately, but I'll kick off a thread and a group convo with some of us, including the other guys from there, tonight so we can get the ball rolling.

More like an additional sub-forum here is what I'm hoping for though. Our own space where we can discuss current affairs, political stuff etc. and enjoy ourselves without having to deal with the Tea Party hivemind around that board and a particular one-man force tilting the playing field and preventing piss-taking of any kind.

If that can happen, I'm thinking I could easily get onto the people from Independent Australia, New Matilda and King's Tribune and partner up, get regular reports and interactive Q&A type stuff going, have significant guests come in and chat on and off etc.

I bought the app a few days ago too, really like it

not an arsenal fan but got to love this guys passion for his team

Saw this again and had to quote it. This was after their first match, Gooners top of the table now and flying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had no idea where to post this, so I guess here will do. The site title for our board currently reads 'Melbourne Demons Demons' -- i.e. that's what's showing up in any open tabs, the very top page info/title section of the browser, etc.

Crimson Azure Chief

/ridiculous off-season nitpicking.

Those aware of the horse meat scandal that rocked the UK about 8-9 months ago may appreciate the unfortunate positioning of this Woolies advert that popped up when I was reading this particular article on news.com.au...

woolies_zps462e237d.png

Hey guys, don't expect anyone to be able to help, but over 10 years ago against port adelaide, Shane Woewoedin kicked the best goal I have ever seen, had the ball in the defensive throw in, took around 7 bounces up the guts, sold candy twice to the opposition then slotted the goal, commentary added to it as well, Woewoedin, still Woewoedin, STILL WOEWOEDIN, gets round one, and another... Ah man it was like Gary Moorecrofts mark in the goal square in terms of you remember the day so clearly, where I was, just brilliant! So if anyone knows where you can find the footage of this anywhere could you hook me up? Cheers guys, good luck for the season

Hey guys, don't expect anyone to be able to help, but over 10 years ago against port adelaide, Shane Woewoedin kicked the best goal I have ever seen, had the ball in the defensive throw in, took around 7 bounces up the guts, sold candy twice to the opposition then slotted the goal, commentary added to it as well, Woewoedin, still Woewoedin, STILL WOEWOEDIN, gets round one, and another... Ah man it was like Gary Moorecrofts mark in the goal square in terms of you remember the day so clearly, where I was, just brilliant! So if anyone knows where you can find the footage of this anywhere could you hook me up? Cheers guys, good luck for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back