• Brett Kirk

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • OTHER

Votes: 30 7.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thinking about this whole coaching thing, It seems to me that when we sacked Sando we had a big fish lined up that we thought was in the bag - but it swam away instead.

Rowey was saying constantly up to about 10 days ago that the Crows had their man and that when we found out who it was we Crows supporters would be excited. He couldn't say more than that, but the club had given him permission to say that much. Chapman himself made a similar comment that when we Crows people found out who the coaching team was, we would be excited.

Now we seem to be down to having one of Bolton, Bassett or Dew as our head coach, which while the successful applicant may prove to be very good, is barely in the big fish or the exciting category. And Rowey has stopped talking as if he knows who the coach is going to be, joining us rank amateurs in the guessing game.

Also if the Crows had their man, they wouldn't be running around now trying to sort the wheat from the chaff out of who's left on the available list - a list which could never be regarded as exciting as long as one's arse points to the ground. Further to that Chapman is saying that we are unlikely to have a coach by the start of the trading period, which is definitely not a desirable thing.

So my thoughts are that one of the reasons that we have left our interviewing and sorting through the candidates until now is that we had the whole thing lined up with a big name and that it's fallen apart for whatever reason
I doubt that we will ever know for sure who the big fish was.

Last edited:
FWIW I am massively against the boys club - which is what I think a Goodwin appointment would have been - not so much because of the ex-Crow aspect,
but more the mates network with Roo. But Bassett is as much of an outsider you can get for a bloke who played 210 games for the club.

Must admit though at this point I am pretty much lost to reason. I want the Hound!!!

I have no problem with your first sentence and the reasoning, you then ruined it with the next sentence. Bassett is not an "outsider", no matter which way you spin it.

Just thinking about this whole coaching thing, It seems to me that when we sacked Sando we had a big fish lined up that we thought was in the bag - but it swam away instead.

Rowey was saying constantly up to about 10 days ago that the Crows had their man and that when we found out who it was we Crows supporters would be excited. He couldn't say more than that, but the club had given him permission to say that much. Chapman himself made a similar comment that when we Crows people found out who the coaching team was, we would be excited.

Now we seem to be down to having one of Bolton, Bassett or Dew as our head coach, which while the successful applicant may prove to be very good, is barely in the big fish or the exciting category. And Rowey has stopped talking as if he knows who the coach is going to be, joining us rank amateurs in the guessing game.

Also if the Crows had their man, they wouldn't be running around now trying to sort the wheat from the chaff out of who's left on the available list - a list which could never be regarded as exciting as long as one's are points to the ground. Further to that Chapman is saying that we are unlikely to have a coach by the start of the trading period, which is definitely not a desirable thing.

So my thoughts are that one of the reasons that we have left our interviewing and sorting through the candidates until now is that we had the whole thing lined up with a big name and that it's fallen apart for whatever reason
Probably swam away from one A Jarman

I have no problem with your first sentence and the reasoning, you then ruined it with the next sentence. Bassett is not an "outsider", no matter which way you spin it.
Sure - but he didn't go for assistant jobs at the Crows - went SANFL instead. Was definitely not a fan of the Crows coming into the SANFL (certainly was no Crows plant in the SANFL there), and then after leaving Norwood went to the Bombers. OK, maybe he's not an outsider, but he's no Mark Bickley, or Nigel Smart (which perhaps is not saying much)

Also if the Crows had their man, they wouldn't be running around now trying to sort the wheat from the chaff out of who's left on the available list - a list which could never be regarded as exciting as long as one's are points to the ground. Further to that Chapman is saying that we are unlikely to have a coach by the start of the trading period, which is definitely not a desirable thing.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we were actually taking to Clarkson and were pretty confident but all on a hand shake sort of thing, but when he had to come out and deny it all, and lets face it he had to with the GF on the doorstep he backed out. Just a feeling, no info just observation.

I want Sea Bass just because of his dummy spits back when he was playing. They were GOLD.

Imagine it in the coaches box. AWESOME.

Lucky enough to be in the box with Bass on a few occasions - not a place for the faint-hearted, that's for sure. I would not want to be on the other end of the phone if I was a player and I'd just broken team rules, no punches pulled that's for sure. Just the type of bloke we need at the Crows.

Also if the Crows had their man, they wouldn't be running around now trying to sort the wheat from the chaff out of who's left on the available list - a list which could never be regarded as exciting as long as one's arse points to the ground. Further to that Chapman is saying that we are unlikely to have a coach by the start of the trading period, which is definitely not a desirable thing.

Agreed, Rowey said we were down to our last 2 and would be happy with either.

The hype of a big surprise announcement has faded and been replaced with watching the process unfold.

Rowey also said after we sacked Sando more would happen within days but nothing.

I was sure it couldn't be the case, and I certainly never wanted him, but maybe we actually did think we could offer the job to Goodwin and he would come running. Not that he's a big fish exactly, but they might have been of the opinion that a former captain returning to coach might have been greeted well. If that's the case...wrong on all counts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To quote Alec Baldwin's character in GlenGarry Glen Ross:

"Only one thing counts in this life...Get them to sign on the line which is dotted!"

Sure - but he didn't go for assistant jobs at the Crows - went SANFL instead. Was definitely not a fan of the Crows coming into the SANFL (certainly was no Crows plant in the SANFL there), and then after leaving Norwood went to the Bombers. OK, maybe he's not an outsider, but he's no Mark Bickley, or Nigel Smart (which perhaps is not saying much)

Look, I don't believe you can say he's not and outsider because he went and coached the legs and at the same time say Goodwin is part of the boys club when he also went to another club as an assistant.

They have both gone to different clubs away from the Crows after their playing career had finished, so they are either both part of the boys club or they both aren't.

Agree with the Bickley and Smart comparison though.

Look, I don't believe you can say he's not and outsider because he went and coached the legs and at the same time say Goodwin is part of the boys club when he also went to another club as an assistant.

They have both gone to different clubs away from the Crows after their playing career had finished, so they are either both part of the boys club or they both aren't.

Agree with the Bickley and Smart comparison though.

Bassett is a former Crow. But he's not "one of the boys" that's for damn sure.

I was talking to a young player who was on Norwoods list a couple of years ago and he said that about Bass. Said that he's a bit of a weird guy and can be a bit hard to talk to. Said there wasn't the universal love for him by all players that is seemingly being said a lot but did say that he was a very good coach.
I know a mate that played under Bass at Norwood. Despite being disappointed at not being able to crack the senior side all too often, Bass was very honest with him about that he'll struggle to get senior games at Norwood, and helped him get to another SANFL club. Players will always know where they are at with Bass, that I'm certain of.

There was definitely a lot more negativity. Particularly in regards to not having head coach experience.

I'm not having a dig, just pointing out how funny big footy can be
When we thought we'd get Clarkson, Bassett would have legitimately been a disappointment, but if we arent getting a premiership coach then he is the best of whats left

Bass never minced his words when on the radio giving comments on our games, I'd expect his interview would have been brutally honest.

Sent from my XT905 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back