Review Guy Mckenna

Remove this Banner Ad

Slipps

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Now that he has been sacked from gold coast which i think is a little bit harsh considering all the injuries and how young that team is without there captain for the last half of the season aswell... I think that we should be the first to get in there and pick him up as an assistant he has already said he wants to keep coaching thoughts?

I didn't see enough GC games to know if there is a particular part of the ground that he excels in but surely he'd be a consideration for player development role considering his recent experience

2011: 3 wins, 19 losses, 56.27%, 17th
2012: 3 wins, 19 losses, 60.82%, 17th
2013: 8 wins, 14 losses, 91.73%, 14th
2014: 10 wins, 12 losses, 93.74%, 12th

Really stiff to be sacked after continual improvement. He must not have been meeting some KPI's or something. It's hard to compare their progress to a normal club because they are a special case. You can only really compare them to what GWS have done over their first 3 years and on that count they are well ahead.

GWS
2012: 2 wins, 20 losses, 46.17%, 18th
2013: 1 win, 21 losses, 50.97%, 18th
2014: 6 wins, 16 losses, 76.72%, 16th

If I was Guy I would be pretty pissed off that some lucky prick was about to inherit a finals quality side and receive all the praise.

Reckon a lot of clubs will be after him, would be filthy to get sacked. The Suns were 7-2 after 9 games.

2011: 3 wins, 19 losses, 56.27%, 17th
2012: 3 wins, 19 losses, 60.82%, 17th
2013: 8 wins, 14 losses, 91.73%, 14th
2014: 10 wins, 12 losses, 93.74%, 12th

Really stiff to be sacked after continual improvement. He must not have been meeting some KPI's or something. It's hard to compare their progress to a normal club because they are a special case. You can only really compare them to what GWS have done over their first 3 years and on that count they are well ahead.

GWS
2012: 2 wins, 20 losses, 46.17%, 18th
2013: 1 win, 21 losses, 50.97%, 18th
2014: 6 wins, 16 losses, 76.72%, 16th

If I was Guy I would be pretty pissed off that some lucky prick was about to inherit a finals quality side and receive all the praise.

Pointless comparing them to GWS who are a basket case and will forever be a basket case. Gold Coast are a stable club who besides Caddy haven't loss anyone or at least anyone of note to homesickness and not liking the club. They also have the best player in the AFL playing for them which helps. Now results wise it could be argued that McKenna is stiff to get the sack however it appears to be of a result of some player movement and not enough progression and as far as I'm concerned whenever there is player movement in wanting the coach out then you need to act.

The way GC imploded when Gary left is an indicator as to McKenna's coaching ability. They have one of if not the most talented midfield in the comp and became easy beats when Gary left the side losing by an average of 44 points over the last 7 games.

Could still offer value as an assistant but I don't think he was stiff getting the sack.

Just read about the rift he had with Harbrow, it was reported (doesn't mean it actually did happen) that after the loss to Brisbane this year he absolutely lashed out at Harbrow and blamed him for the Western Bulldogs' preliminary final losses a few years back, in front of the whole team. A fair few of the GC players were pissed off at McKenna for doing that.

No, thanks, keep, clear.

Just read about the rift he had with Harbrow, it was reported (doesn't mean it actually did happen) that after the loss to Brisbane this year he absolutely lashed out at Harbrow and blamed him for the Western Bulldogs' preliminary final losses a few years back, in front of the whole team. A fair few of the GC players were pissed off at McKenna for doing that.

No, thanks, keep, clear.
lol....

No, thanks, keep, clear.
Well that just completely did a 180 degree turn on my opinion. What a prick of a thing to do..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, thanks, keep, clear.
Bit like Terry Wallace blaming Mitch Morton for 'you costing my career'.

The way GC imploded when Gary left is an indicator as to McKenna's coaching ability. They have one of if not the most talented midfield in the comp and became easy beats when Gary left the side losing by an average of 44 points over the last 7 games.

Could still offer value as an assistant but I don't think he was stiff getting the sack.
Yeah...A young team is always going to struggle the longer a season goes. The game plan didn't change but yeah... lose Gazza, lose games, coach must be to blame.

Last edited:
The only thing Jared could do on the footy field was pick up the ball with one hand. :rolleyes:
Hahahahaha double take on that avatar

On topic, if Ablett wasn't injured it just would have papered over the cracks. There's a saying, if a coach loses the players, their position is untenable. Sando lost them, Bluey lost them and there's a lot of rumblings McCartney has lost them. A player with no respect for their coach will not perform, if it's a player problem, you get rid of them, if the team doesn't respect the coach most signs point to it being the coach, get rid of them.

We can't just load up on coaching personal or else we will be paying a fortune. The AFLs new 'Super Tax' on football department starts next season. Guy McKenna is nothing special so hopefully the club doesn't even look his way.

Campbell Brown once told me Guy McKenna was a s**t coach and had no respect from the players.

He also said Clarkson was a genius.

What did he have to say about Dimma? Must have been coached by him as well. And surely you must have asked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back