Senior List
Mar 5, 2014
The mysterious East (of Melbourne)
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
The Arsenal
All the networks had footy replays in the 1960s as well as discussion panels

The ABC panel was on Friday nights, chaired by Harry Beitzel and panellist included Roy Wright, Geoff Leek, Ted Rippon, Phonse Kyne, Ray Walker, Morton Browne, Maurie Considine, Chicken Smallhorn, Percy Beames, Brendan Edwards, Tony Ongarello, Kevin Coghlan

Ch 7 had Football Inquest on Saturday nights, hosted by Mike Williamson with Alan Gale and Reg Hickey among others. It was sponsored by the Milk Board and the panellists drank glasses of milk during the show.

Ch 9 had the Kevin Dennis Football Show (named after the sponsor, a car dealership)

I don't recall the host or panellists however.

Can any oldies supply any more details -my memory is fading

mike Williamson was host of the Kevin Dennis football show

Tony Charlton football show (channel nine )

I recall a reference to a show which
featured Adelaide football players playing snooker
in the mid 1970s

The ABC panel was on Friday nights, chaired by Harry Beitzel and panellist included Roy Wright, Geoff Leek, Ted Rippon, Phonse Kyne, Ray Walker, Morton Browne, Maurie Considine, Chicken Smallhorn, Percy Beames, Brendan Edwards, Tony Ongarello, Kevin Coghlan

Ch 7 had Football Inquest on Saturday nights, hosted by Mike Williamson with Alan Gale and Reg Hickey among others. It was sponsored by the Milk Board and the panellists drank glasses of milk during the show.

Ch 9 had the Kevin Dennis Football Show (named after the sponsor, a car dealership)

I reckon the ABC show might have been called Focus on Football (7.30 pm) ...no names shown but here is The Age's list of all programmes scheduled for Friday 7 May 1965:
http://news.google.com.au/newspapers?id=ZR8UAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2pYDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7092,1229146

And here is another article in The Age's TV & radio guide at start of the 1969 season:
http://news.google.com.au/newspapers?id=ngIRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=bpMDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1979,516824

Want any Tassie memories or is this thread only for Melbourne shows ?

Channel 7 Perth had a Sunday show but I don't recall the name Chairman was Frank Sparrow and panellists were Steve Marsh, Mick Cronin, Marty McDonnell and John K Watts. May have been others that I've forgotten.

Would have to check yr-by-yr but certainly mid to late 1960s on ABC in Tas, we used to have a local Friday night show previewing the weekend matches. Graeme Cope (?) may have been a host at one stage, with regulars including "Nunky" Ayers, Vern Rae, Peter Marquis, and Trevor Leo. We also saw quite a bit of the Melbourne shows too (replay next day I think, rather than live).

On commercial channel TNT-9 (Launceston & Nthn Tas) there was a programme called Sports Club. Started out as a Saturday night results service I think in about 1962 or '63. By 1964 it had switched to Sunday and probably lasted into the late 1980s or early 1990s. Hosted initially by David McQuestin, some of regular panel over the years included Jim Ross, Arthur Hodgson, John Coughlan, Noel Atkins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back