List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Discussion 2014 [Current Picks: 12, 33, 52]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
I just don't understand the idea of going to the draft to make improvements to well, improve.

All the talk from emotion after the disgusting display in the final, was like I suspected, all talk.

Don't believe a word of a warchest. Don't believe the hurt. Don't believe anything from the football club.

Brendan Gale. Talk is cheap. Invest our money. Being happy that we are the 9th or 10th most football department spending club is a joke from a club that has had years of record profits, millions of donations, no debt and third highest membership.

Invest. Or shut the **** up.

Invest in what though bob? There's nothing much available. I'm happy for the club to bide their time and plan for FA in 2015

docko911

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
I just don't understand the idea of going to the draft to make improvements to well, improve.

All the talk from emotion after the disgusting display in the final, was like I suspected, all talk.

Don't believe a word of a warchest. Don't believe the hurt. Don't believe anything from the football club.

Brendan Gale. Talk is cheap. Invest our money. Being happy that we are the 9th or 10th most football department spending club is a joke from a club that has had years of record profits, millions of donations, no debt and third highest membership.

Our draft picks don't have enough value, and we don't have any players we can afford to trade at this stage. Free agency will only net an injury prone has been or a very expensive KPD that would only cost the club a player down the track.

Investing in the draft is the best option even if we may not receive improvement immediately. That said if we focus the war chest on better staff we may be able to quick develop some quality midfielders to bolster our team for many years to come. If we take the shortcut option we pay too much, and probably find out we have picked up an average player that looked good in a s**t team.

Tigerbob

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2001
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm, Bushies
Invest in what though bob? There's nothing much available. I'm happy for the club to bide their time and plan for FA in 2015

Football department. In everything that gets us into the upper echelon.

If we can't with our list. Looks like we have run out of ideas despite the brilliant Blair Hartley (what's he do again?) Then make it happen in our football department.

The last two years we lost Campbell, Leppitsch and Daly. We have replaced that with Rutten and a couple of development staff.

Our fitness crew would be in the bottom percentile in the league.

Just invest and chase the best in everything.

A warning to fans. We have had a warchest for two years now. Just don't believe the membership desperation of sales to hit our targets.

TigerRoar2012

Senior List
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
**** me I can't believe how many people are on here moaning about how we are "so far from the top" and that "this club is going backwards". Are you serious?! Many football commentators AND football supporters (not just Richmond fans) were predicting pre-season that we would finish top 4 this season. Granted we had a poor start, but our latter half of the season shows just how damaging we can be and how far this club has come. This club made huge strides this year - Ellis is starting to look like a genuine all-Australian who will be pushing for selection next year, Dusty had his best season to date and is looking like one of the most damaging players in the entire competition, Griffiths took huge strides towards becoming that monster forward we have all hoped he would become, Anthony Miles emerged as an absolute gun and has been a HUGE addition to the team, and Rance is maturing more and more as the years go on (and was rewarded for his efforts with AA selection). My point is, we are not so far from the top as some of you are making us out to be, and we are making huge strides towards becoming a contender!

Yes, we got destroyed in the final by Port Adelaide. But just watch the Grand Final replay to see how easily a great team can destroy another great team when they are 'on'. Our boys have made finals in consecutive years and are finally getting that finals experience. They will learn from these defeats, and the fact that some posters here are questioning whether the boys are hurting from these losses just shows how ignorant they are and suggests they have never worked so hard for something only to come up short. Yes, we got beaten by Port Adelaide - get over it, stop being pessimistic, focus on the positives and be PROUD that our boys actually made finals after so many wrote us off.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
We do
Morris, houli and Newman are not up to it, you said 3 mids and a small fwd and I agree, that's 7 spots so I'd say that's a few holes, that is not counting the fact that Chaplin is past it, maric is ageing and the jury is still out on griffo?
I agree we have some holes, but I still don't think its as bad as you state. I know your talking about complete list but that can apply to most list in a fluid way.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep we've learnt the hard way, growing our own young players is the way to go from now on instead of recruiting recycled hacks to attempt to fill holes. Will certainly benefit us long term IMO. Will also need to go hard at FA next year and land a proven player or two. None of this Tutt s**t who will get us no where, let him rot at Carlton.
This was always to idea after the compromised drafts were finished.

Stylo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond

If we can't with our list. Looks like we have run out of ideas despite the brilliant Blair Hartley (what's he do again?) Then make it happen in our football department.

The last two years we lost Campbell, Leppitsch and Daly. We have replaced that with Rutten and a couple of development staff.

A warning to fans. We have had a warchest for two years now. Just don't believe the membership desperation of sales to hit our targets.

Oh yeah I agree our footy department needs bolstering. I thought you were referring to the list. Would be very disappointing if we didn't appoint at least one other coach this off season, preferably an experienced, tactical mind. Sanderson would be a good get. I reckon the fact we were after Burgess last year is evidence we have our fingers on the pulse with these things. Unfortunately there's an element of luck involved sometimes and it seems the cards don't often fall our way.

image.jpg
found this on the norf board lol. Enjoy groupie

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS

Toys back in the cot, Bob. Petulant, nonsensical posting.

Stitch

All Australian
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
So with reports saying Tigers likely to keep pick 11 yet we're chasing Armitage, perhaps he will be a straight swap for Vickery and an exchange of later picks...Saints were interested in big Griff but missed out and might trade their 1st pick to the Giants which would mean they'd miss out on 1 of the draft's best forwards. Seems legit.

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
So with reports saying Tigers likely to keep pick 11 yet we're chasing Armitage, perhaps he will be a straight swap for Vickery and an exchange of later picks...Saints were interested in big Griff but missed out and might trade their 1st pick to the Giants which would mean they'd miss out on 1 of the draft's best forwards. Seems legit.
I'd rather keep Vickery unless it also improved our draft position substantially

Tigerbob

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2001
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm, Bushies
I'd rather keep Vickery unless it also improved our draft position substantially

Vickery, Griffiths and Riewoldt we just have to make work for us to progress. The forward coach and Dimma need to work out how to make the structures and running patterns and process work for the three dangerous talls to fit.

If we can add to our midfield with a bonafide player, Vlastuin, Ellis, Conca improve get a couple of pieces I think we can get far. It's why I'm not understanding going down the drafting route so aggressively.

It's why I want us to go after better coaches to make it work. Invest in better fitness guys to make it work. Invest in systems to a make it work.

Being happy and chest pumping the 10th best resourced football department is so poor. No excuses to be much higher. No debt. Third highest membership. High attendances. $6 million free kick given by the fans. Strong sponsorship.

Why aren't we chasing a flag?

Tigerbob

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2001
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm, Bushies
Would improve us drastically and is a free agent. Him and Houli off the half back. The kicking and set up from our defence would improve drastically.

Is three years our time for a flag? All our great players in peak or heading to peak?

I want to know why we aren't chasing a flag?

Of course it's a risk. Of course. But every decision is a risk. A massive risk is heading to the draft recruiting 18 year olds who may not work that may not improve us while other clubs above us and below us improve.

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
Trading Vickery would be a massive mistake!!!
He is a better player than Griffiths!
He kicks goals!!
I will be so pissed off if we trade him..........................................................(unless its for Armitage or Hannebery).............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back