Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I know! Love 'em. May have been introduced to them by Sofia Coppola and her soundtrack for Marie Antoinette :oops: In fairness I was 16, 2006 was a very formative year.

I suddenly feel like...
hqdefault.jpg

Ok, back to the music. Surprised no-one has mentioned REM or Red Hot Chilli Peppers yet. Thought they'd be real popular.

That's an interesting debate you must have add over the years - a while back chatting with friends I nominated REM as the one band that has completely lost the special 'it' they had during the 80s and early 90s. One of the biggest bands back then, and most credible - but they're like the Doors now. I think they hung around 10 years/5 albums too long. They should have called in quits when Berry left - but that $80 million contract from Warners in '97 was too much to refuse. It killed them.

Kids these days have no interest in them, especially compared to big bands from the same period -just look at the love for Radiohead in here. (A band which I've never loved or bothered with either, due to the fact they pretty much gave to the masses by stealing every note, musical idea and emotion from two bands I'm about to post under S & T. :p).

Radio Dept!!

Is it ok if I post more Radiohead? :oops:

If I was 25 years younger, I'd hope to have as great an ear for new music as The Big Ship. You've introduced more stuff here than I've caught on RRR for the past 10 years.

However, if you are the same age as me - I'll just pay my tab and grab my coat.

Kids these days have no interest in them, especially compared to big bands from the same period -just look at the love for Radiohead in here. (A band which I've never loved or bothered with either, due to the fact they pretty much gave to the masses by stealing every note, musical idea and emotion from two bands I'm about to post under S & T. :p).

you have sown the seeds of intrigue.

I know! Love 'em. May have been introduced to them by Sofia Coppola and her soundtrack for Marie Antoinette :oops: In fairness I was 16, 2006 was a very formative year.

I discovered them the same way, Sofia always has great soundtracks. I was obsessed with the Lost In Translation ST back in '03 and it really got me into shoegaze.

And not that I'm any authority around these parts but I think if it's a major omission it's fine to repeat artists. Especially when it's Radiohead and there's decades of material to cover :)

I had a feeling there was some kind of unwritten rule for repeating artists. Glad we quashed that one (well looks like darren forssman destroyed it :D)

If I was 25 years younger, I'd hope to have as great an ear for new music as The Big Ship. You've introduced more stuff here than I've caught on RRR for the past 10 years.

However, if you are the same age as me - I'll just pay my tab and grab my coat.

:) Thanks James, glad you've heard some stuff that you're into. Been enjoying your posts too (besides knocking Radiohead:(:p) I'm 33 btw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone ready for S yet? Or should we wait a little while - it's gonna be huge. Probably more great bands and artists than any other letter.
If Helen Reddy is getting a 2nd showing, I think we're well and truly ready for S. Go for it James, I'll put my thinking cap on for a little while. :thumbsu:

OK - we're onto S.

Please allow indulgences. :p

Everything in life re-started in 1988 thanks to discovering Sonic Boom and J. Spacemen, aka Pete Kember and Jason Pierce, aka - Spacemen 3. All these years later, it's impossible to put into words what their music, both together and solo, has brought to not just me, but thousands of others, and so many, many bands and artists. Pretty much every 'alternative' band in the 90s and beyond owe them everything.

The statement at the start of the clip sums it all up - and it still just takes 5 seconds of decision to realise the time is right to start thinking about a little revolution in your life...

After recording a small amount of masterful LPs and EPs, the two gents had an ugly spat and went their own ways...

Pete started Spectrum...

Jason started Spiritualized

James beat me to it but these guys get name checked a lot.

How they weren't bigger I'll not understand..

Could have picked a few from these guys but I'm in no doubt someone else will post more by them...

"S" would not be complete without...

My fave tune by these guys is actually a B-side but this was the first track I heard from them...

Everyone knows this right?

So many more that can be posted as well.

I particularly like the last two, Moneypenny- hadn't heard either before, so thanks for posting them.
Last two huh, how very indie of you TC! Then you wouldn't know this scene in Garden State?

Isn't that the whole point though? I was barely born in the 80s (December 89 doesn't count right?) so I have at least 65 years of music to catch up on! This exercise is helping a lot :) There's sooo much more I could post but I'll leave it until S is almost over.

Last two huh, how very indie of you TC! Then you wouldn't know this scene in Garden State?

Isn't that the whole point though? I was barely born in the 80s (December 89 doesn't count right?) so I have at least 65 years of music to catch up on! This exercise is helping a lot :) There's sooo much more I could post but I'll leave it until S is almost over.

No I hadn't seen that before either. We both have a lot of music to catch up on. Or we could just stick with listening to what we like... over and over and over... which reminds me- it's probably time to load new music on my iPhone. Just for a change, you know. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back