• Brett Kirk

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • OTHER

Votes: 30 7.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand your comments, but Hawthorn once were a basket case who couldn't either. You demand more from the players you have because that's your standard or they don't play and you draft players with quality disposal.

Its an extension on not accepting mediocrity which is the catchcry of the club at the moment.

I cannot begin to imagine Boltons voice demanding anything from the players except a chuckle.
Bass would engender more intimidation...
But you are right Macca; we just have to put faith in the selection panels decision.

I cannot begin to imagine Boltons voice demanding anything from the players except a chuckle.
Bass would engender more intimidation...
But you are right Macca; we just have to put faith in the selection panels decision.

Should we? We haven't selected the right coach since Blight left.

Given that we are down to the untried coach situation, and that Bolton and Bassett appear to be the leading candidates, I have to say that I'm torn as to which one is the right fit for Adelaide.

Bassett undoubtedly can coach but my fear with him is that will we become a team that plays dour defensive football. Bolton on the other hand would bring a totally different diverse style of football with more options in it that would be far more attractive to watch, and a style that can and has won flags.

We have good people doing the interviews so I'll back whichever one they end up selecting. Hopefully that's sooner than later, as I really think the lack of a coach is a big negative during the trade period.

M23

On the surface Bolton to me has to much of a Sando look for me and would be high risk IMO and a tough sell to all stakeholders

Being part of a football coach is also managing player ego and to do this you need to gain respect from the players and with this I have no doubt in my mind that it would be a tough bridge to build if a coach has not played the game at the highest level..... Personally do I think that you need to have played at the highest level to be a good coach the answer to that is no, however do I believe that the rightfully or wrongfully the players would feel that it is an important part of the coaches make up, absolutely yes......

In terms of recruiting coaches from successful programs I also think one could argue that this does not always bring success, Neeld, Sando, McKenna and Watters all were promoted from successful programs and all except for Bluey were sacked within 3 years. The concern for me is that those coaches who are promoted from only experience one environment even if it is successful seem to go to a new club trying to replicate the model from where they have been and to me this would be the risk with both Dew and Bolton. We need a coach that has broad and diverse experience and knowledge, has experienced success either a Senior or Asst and can come in assess the strengths and weaknesses of our list and build a game to suit and this is where maybe a Ratten comes in to play. With that legend Coaches such as Blight and Mathews also say that you believe that you are a better Coach 2nd time round however the modern game seems to offer up any 2nd chances.

Finally promoting an Assistant that has coached and developed a successful environment in his own right has to hold weight, admittedly Bass has done it at a state level however it does demonstrate to me he knows what foundations to put in place to build a successful system and culture

Bassett or Ratten for me before Dew or Bolton

I understand your comments, but Hawthorn once were a basket case who couldn't either. You demand more from the players you have because that's your standard or they don't play and you draft players with quality disposal.

Its an extension on not accepting mediocrity which is the catchcry of the club at the moment.
Clarkson didn't turn s**t footballers into good kicks, they drafted and traded in good kicks and decision makers. That takes time to do.

The other thing with Bassett is his game plan isn't dour. Sure he sets up great defensive structures and disciplines, which we badly need but he doesn't just defend.

If you go watch Norwood games they are sometimes low scoring but I blame the opposition. Many a time I've seen the opposition flood their whole side into Norwoods attacking half, Norwood leave a wall behind the play so when it does come out it goes straight back in again.

In the first qtr against Port in the GF when Norwood dominated Port did it, in the 2012 finals series West did it and did it badly, that's why it was so low scoring.

Norwoods defense relies on the defenders knowing when to leave their man and fill the hole so there is always someone in the way.

I'm OK with the speed but the lack of info is interesting. There's something going on for sure.
I have had faith that there is something going on. But I'm starting to get the wobbles. With absolutely nothing getting out I'm wondering how tight a ship can they run? Is there just no news because nothing's happening? Pronouncements that we're weeks away worry me. Seems dithery.

IMO plan A didnt materialise for what ever reason, now we are executing plan,B

I also think GC had a plan A that is likely to be blown out of the water today

Given that we are down to the untried coach situation, and that Bolton and Bassett appear to be the leading candidates, I have to say that I'm torn as to which one is the right fit for Adelaide.

Bassett undoubtedly can coach but my fear with him is that will we become a team that plays dour defensive football. Bolton on the other hand would bring a totally different diverse style of football with more options in it that would be far more attractive to watch, and a style that can and has won flags.

We have good people doing the interviews so I'll back whichever one they end up selecting. Hopefully that's sooner than later, as I really think the lack of a coach is a big negative during the trade period.
Yep some of the analysis in here is hilarious. People have seen a few 30 second interviews of Bolton and think they understand his coaching philosophies. I wonder if the people that know hes no good had actually even heard of him before Clarko got ill.

I dont really want Bolton because he looks too happy and upbeat, which quite frankly is an admission that I wouldn't have a clue whether he can coach or not.

Yes it will be nice to finally make use of all our elite legs that have just been under-utilised or wasting away. Bassett is a much better fit for our list profile. I'd have ratten as an assistant for a bit of hawks IP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm on the Bassett bandwagon like most people here. However if we don't/can't get Bassett, I don't mind the idea of Tudor. He has been involved in multiple successful teams that play different styles of footy. Seems the problem with a lot of assistants made head coaches is they try to directly copy the playbook of their previous team rather than develop their own to suit the players they have. Hopefully someone with a broader experience would have a better understanding of how to develop a system to suit a new club.

Will be interesting, given the time to naming a coach if they will announce the support staff too
I think that's a strong possibility considering the main rhetoric has been about not just getting the best head coach for us, but getting the whole coaching team right.

The other thing with Bassett is his game plan isn't dour. Sure he sets up great defensive structures and disciplines, which we badly need but he doesn't just defend.

If you go watch Norwood games they are sometimes low scoring but I blame the opposition. Many a time I've seen the opposition flood their whole side into Norwoods attacking half, Norwood leave a wall behind the play so when it does come out it goes straight back in again.

In the first qtr against Port in the GF when Norwood dominated Port did it, in the 2012 finals series West did it and did it badly, that's why it was so low scoring.

Norwoods defense relies on the defenders knowing when to leave their man and fill the hole so there is always someone in the way.
Would be good if we had our own game plan, we have heard for the last 10 years, Geelong style, Hawthorn style, be good for a new coach to come in & create Adelaide's style, & it would be great if it's Bassett was the man who starts this :)

Would be good if we had our own game plan, we have heard for the last 10 years, Geelong style, Hawthorn style, be good for a new coach to come in & create Adelaide's style, & it would be great if it's Bassett was the man who starts this :)
We had our own style with Craig.. crow bots anyone?

Just thinking about this whole coaching thing, It seems to me that when we sacked Sando we had a big fish lined up that we thought was in the bag - but it swam away instead.

Rowey was saying constantly up to about 10 days ago that the Crows had their man and that when we found out who it was we Crows supporters would be excited. He couldn't say more than that, but the club had given him permission to say that much. Chapman himself made a similar comment that when we Crows people found out who the coaching team was, we would be excited.

Now we seem to be down to having one of Bolton, Bassett or Dew as our head coach, which while the successful applicant may prove to be very good, is barely in the big fish or the exciting category. And Rowey has stopped talking as if he knows who the coach is going to be, joining us rank amateurs in the guessing game.

Also if the Crows had their man, they wouldn't be running around now trying to sort the wheat from the chaff out of who's left on the available list - a list which could never be regarded as exciting as long as one's arse points to the ground. Further to that Chapman is saying that we are unlikely to have a coach by the start of the trading period, which is definitely not a desirable thing.

So my thoughts are that one of the reasons that we have left our interviewing and sorting through the candidates until now is that we had the whole thing lined up with a big name and that it's fallen apart for whatever reason
I doubt that we will ever know for sure who the big fish was.

There is currently only one big fish coach in the AFL.

I presume they thought they had Clarkson and it all fell apart.

It's hard to imagine any other club looking that close at Bassett.

From their perspective, he's a one year assistant who had some lower league success. Gary Ayers would look more successful.

I'm losing faith in the Clarkson rumour, however he is still on the road for the cup celebrations. IF there was any chance of it being Clarkson, it wouldn't be announced until that is all done. They are in Launceston tomorrow.
I don't think we are any chance now. Once he said he's not going anywhere the deal was off. Again, just my gut feel nothing to back it up.

I don't think we are any chance now. Once he said he's not going anywhere the deal was off. Again, just my gut feel nothing to back it up.

I'm with you. Whatever realistic chance we had to get him evaporated when Newton opened up his massive gob. It may not have been a big chance, but it would have been greater than the zero it ended up being. Thanks Jars, nice scoop.

Jars would have known he wasn't on air this week so hoped that by the time he returns people aren't talking about it anymore so he won't have to face up to his mistake and justify how it didn't happen if it was so certain only a week ago.

Even got the premiership which I'm sure was his get out plan, expecting the swans to win and say Clarko wants to make amends.

Sometimes guys its them untried coaches that are better and they come up with newer ideas I think Bassett is our man and like some people have said that it'll make our club look like a boys club I don't think Bassett will turn it into a man's club he does not take and s**t from anyone if a player is not performing boy does he tell them haha very wild and tough with a hint of arrogance but who cares look at Hinkley he's arrogant.

Bassett is also s very good communicator and is a very good developer as shown with all the afl players he's provided

Bassett 2015 all the way don't care what anyone says he'll be fine and port supporters wanting us to get him because they think he's weak well think again they'll soon learn the hard way.

I'm a bit worried about the bombers situation. If Thompson stays there then the very attractive Gold Coast job is avilable for everyone. Hopefully that isn't sown up one way or another

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back