No Oppo Supporters CAS hands down guilty verdict - Players appealing - Dank shot - no opposition - (cont in pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK so after a night to cool off it comes down to one question for mine, which has been reported completely differently depending on what you read.

Will Hird appealing put the players' SCNs "on ice"?

The answer to this q is huge for me.
The other question along similar lines is - if the SCNs are "on ice" during an appeal, how long would they be "on ice" for ?

You didn't address my post, rines. You addressed the issue that it was a shame that this was happening, the history of our coaching panel, the players association, SCN, and Thompson stabbing Hird in the back.

I posted about who was doing the best for the club that we both support. Hird or Thompson. The fact that you post that you will not support a club for choosing one coach over another can cause others to question if you support a club or an individual. If someone accused you of that you would be upset, as would I.

For the record, can you please answer the following questions.

Who is acting in the best interest of the players and club?
If you were counselling Hird, as a representative of the EFC, would you be happy with his actions?

I've asked you this a few times so I won't ask you again, you don't have to answer.
I believe NEITHER man is acting in the best interest of the players and club. I think Thompson is putting the club over a barrell with threats to leave if not given the senior gig. I also think Thompson has not been honest enough about his role in bringing Robinson (Dank) to the club. I think Thompson has been very happy to accept a promotion for something that he was JOINTLY responsible for, whilst watching the other half of the partnership be punted to the depths of hell. I believe Hird is acting in his own interests due to the terrible loss he has sufferred, understandable but ultimately not in the best interests of the players and club.

If I was counselling Hird, as a representative of the EFC, I would disagree with his decision to appeal. I would strongly advise him against it but ultimately I would honour his contract. I would hope that common sense would prevail. I would have made sure he was at the B+F.. I would have made sure that he felt part of the 'group' again. I would have made sure he received some positive feedback. I would have made sure that he FELT like he was going to be able to come back.

This all started when he came back from France and was told he was no longer welcome in the box. That was yet another insult and that is went all loyalties went out the window.

Those are my opinions, for the record. I hope that satisfies you.

OK so after a night to cool off it comes down to one question for mine, which has been reported completely differently depending on what you read.

Will Hird appealing put the players' SCNs "on ice"?

The answer to this q is huge for me.

Seeing as though the aim is to have the entire investigation which led to them declared illegal, pretty sure it would.

Like I mentioned a page back, the situation with bomber is not sitting comfortably with me at the moment. Rushing to sign Thompson because he might be going to coach the Suns, is something that shouldn't be done. It should be a considered decision. Bomber has appeared to flip flop a lot with what he wants to do in the past year. I'm not trying to be critical, just pointing it out.

At the end of the day it's up to the players, if they say to Hird don't appeal and he does appeal it's an easy decision that he can't coach them.

Thompson will be coach.. and then we will all need to unite behind him.

Can't see it happening but that is what needs to happen if our club is to survive.

Fletcher, Winderlich and Carlisle will join Ryder in leaving.. there may be more. But those who stay will be 100% committed and loyal to Bomber so that is a good start.

Perhaps one day this club will heal but it will take a long time. There have been other examples at other clubs of what can happen to the soul of a footy club when you knife a champion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"I'm just glad that Hird has finally decided to put the players' best interests first for a change"
- Nobody, Ever.

Ok, sorry, but that's just resolutely ridiculous.

Hird appealing the case now is not in the players interests at all if it stops the actual doping resolution process, no doubt. I don't disagree.

But to say he's NEVER ONCE put the players first is just crazy. He was so close to going to court and airing all this dirty laundry in August last year so that this whole thing could be stopped and not ruin much of 2014 for the players and to clear his name, but he was (probably) threatened and backed off FOR THE SAKE OF THE PLAYERS AND 2014. The controversy was meant to end there, and we were set to deal with the process as normal. He took the suspension rather than clearing his name from a crime he thinks he didn't commit and stopping the process back then so that the players could focus on 2014 without stress.

I don't like the appeal route, but if it is found on appeal that the investigation was unlawful, that's another step in protecting the players as well. This action wasn't taken by the club nor Hird to solely restore the status of Hird - it was done to shine a light on an investigation which the club did not think was an adequate investigation of potential doping, and if the players have been subjected to such an investigation, then there is right to question it.

To say Hird has always been this egotistical, self-interested psychopath with no concern for the players is wrong. You can not want him back, you can despise the way he's gone about it, but he's not just some self-interested hack who cares more about himself than the players, and even if he's protecting his own interest now (which I hope he's not, but wouldn't begrudge him that much if he did), you can't say he's never looked after the players.

EDIT: Thought I'd just add I'm super disappointed that Hird's appealed, and I am really not a fan - I'm not militantly on the Hird wagon or like attacking you or anything, just thought it's a bit reactionary to claim he's been only egotistical these past 2 years! Sorry to sound a bit angry!

Last edited:
Now, are we all finished bickering and attacking each other?

Some of the stuff that came out of this board yesterday was absolutely shameful. The mod team is on a united front in that we are no longer tolerating baiting of other posters, out and out insults, or anything. This is a stressful time, understandably, but a vast majority of you are adults. You should probably be above fighting on the bloody internet.

I've had enough of some of the dreadful sh*t going on in this thread. Report a post if you think it's attacking, and Orazio2Joe , Doss , Jab , Beerfish and myself will take care of it.

The same is said for opposition supporters. We've had enough.

I believe NEITHER man is acting in the best interest of the players and club. I think Thompson is putting the club over a barrell with threats to leave if not given the senior gig. I also think Thompson has not been honest enough about his role in bringing Robinson (Dank) to the club. I think Thompson has been very happy to accept a promotion for something that he was JOINTLY responsible for, whilst watching the other half of the partnership be punted to the depths of hell. I believe Hird is acting in his own interests due to the terrible loss he has sufferred, understandable but ultimately not in the best interests of the players and club.

If I was counselling Hird, as a representative of the EFC, I would disagree with his decision to appeal. I would strongly advise him against it but ultimately I would honour his contract. I would hope that common sense would prevail. I would have made sure he was at the B+F.. I would have made sure that he felt part of the 'group' again. I would have made sure he received some positive feedback. I would have made sure that he FELT like he was going to be able to come back.

This all started when he came back from France and was told he was no longer welcome in the box. That was yet another insult and that is went all loyalties went out the window.

Those are my opinions, for the record. I hope that satisfies you.

It doesn't satisfy me, I asked for clarification on your opinion. You're entitled to think and feel however you like. My interest to know how you felt on those topics was based on the fact that you have been one of Hird's biggest supporters on this board, which is great. As I have said, I haven't been in either camp. My opinion is that Hird is now not acting in the best interest of the football club, but that has no reflection on innocence or guilt in the supplement saga.

Thompson and Hird may well be just as innocent or guilty as each other when is comes to the ASADA investigation, it is a topic that I have avoided giving a firm opinion on because I don't know the facts. My opinion always has been that we should air all the facts and sack anyone who was at fault or back everyone who is innocent.

What was key to your post above is that you believe that Hird is now acting in his own best interest, and you outlined a reasonable explanation as to why this is so and I tend to agree with that. You also said that Hird doesn't feel part of the group, again for reasons that I can appreciate. That being said, why should we as a football club go into a preseason with a head coach who is, to this moment, acting on his own best interests and who isn't part of the clubs thinking? As members we would call for blood.

Like Hird, Thompson has been supported and back by the club since accepting sanctions from the AFL. Both men have been supported by fans and the club. Right now only one man is going along with the clubs decision. We can have a united club that wants to move on or a divided club with this distraction still hanging over us for another preseason and perhaps next year.

Who did what in the past and how individuals feel is valid and means something, but it doesn't take preference over the football club. Thompson telling the club that he has been offered a senior job at another club is not holding them to ransom, it is called communication between an employee and an organisation.

From your comments I believe that if you were on the board that met today that you would vote to sack Hird. You might not support Thompson as senior coach, but you would support stability. It might be a hard thing to do and not something any of us would want to do, but it might be needed to help everyone move on. How someone feels from things that have happened in the past is irrelevant when it comes to being the leader of a club, it is up to you to put your feelings aside and to lead from the front. Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be what Hird is doing at the moment.

JAMES Hird has formally lodged an appeal to the Full Federal Court.

Lawyers for Hird tabled papers with the court at 10am this morning, defying club orders for the Essendon coach to ditch his legal war.

The move is expected to prompt his sacking within hours.

But the Hird camp has declared the appeal is about “justice and legal rights”.

As said, I have no issue with Hird pursuing his legal rights. He just cannot do so as coach.

Fletcher, Winderlich and Carlisle will join Ryder in leaving.. there may be more. But those who stay will be 100% committed and loyal to Bomber so that is a good start.

Why would players want to leave? they are against Hird appealing if you remember the players loved having Bomber coach them so Hird going won't faze them.

Thompson will be coach.. and then we will all need to unite behind him.

Can't see it happening but that is what needs to happen if our club is to survive.

Perhaps one day this club will heal but it will take a long time. There have been other examples at other clubs of what can happen to the soul of a footy club when you knife a champion.

Please... hes knifing himself.

You think the desires of Hird can come before the desires of 34 of our current and past players, some if whom are champions themselves?

And then hes to go in tomorrow and coach most of them?

You cant be serious.

Hmmm, just read through Little's Crichton address from last night.

Mentions of / references to Bomber (previous senior coach):
I would like to officially thank Mark Thompson for his outstanding efforts in coaching the team during the 2014 season.
Bomber has endeared himself to the football public and played a pivotal role in the development of our team for the future.
We hope to be in a position announce exciting details about Bomber’s future role in the next few days.

Mentions of / references to Hird (current senior coach, contracted for 2015/2016):
(crickets)

Hard not to assume that Little has decided Hird is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back