Tim Membrey requests trade

MotleyLemon

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
It's been announced that Tim Membrey of the Swans is seeking a trade. I've seen a bit of him in the NEAFL, seems to project as a third forward tall type at AFL level, but I've often thought he plays a bit like a throwback key forward. That said, does appear to have a good tank, so hard running half forward role probably isn't out of reach...

What's he worth?

Where is he going?

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
2nd round pick? 3rd round would be a good deal for sure.

Geel get Clark, Carlton after Jones and Jaksch, WB plenty of 3rd tall types, Hawks pretty set for forwards (but wouldn't surprise me), North chasing Waite, Melbourne interested in mids more than forwards. Essendon I think saw enough in Patty Ambrose to go with Carlisle and Daniher.

Probably leaves:
Collingwood - where he'd compliment Cloke and 2nd ruck
St Kilda - where he'd fit the age profile just depends on their thoughts on White, Lee, Sipposs and what they'll do with pick 1 etc
Richmond - where he'd go well with Riewoldt and Vickery as a more mobile target

Richmond would be a really good fit I think. Playing as a hard working third tall he'd help take the pressure from Riewoldt to do up the ground work. But then they'd have to abandon plans to go tall with 2 rucks and Vickery in the same team. Which is good as I think is when they play their best footy with a smaller side in. But it would leave a heavy list of big guys not getting a game and not address their midfield depth.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Membrey has developed a fair bit of flexibility in his game since he has been in Sydney. When I last saw him he was playing a fair bit up the ground and whilst I do not think that would be a full time role for him he is not someone who is going to be stuck in the forward half either. He would get a fair bit of attention I think.

MotleyLemon

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Sydney fans can probably answer this better than I can, is there any scope for him to become an inside mid type?

Sydswans0512

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Sydney fans can probably answer this better than I can, is there any scope for him to become an inside mid type?
I wouldn't think so mate, he's a great lead up player with a really good set shot. Should've been given more opputunities

MotleyLemon

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
I wouldn't think so mate, he's a great lead up player with a really good set shot. Should've been given more opputunities

That appears to be what I've noticed of him in the NEAFL. Was more thinking in regards to Matty Panos, who I thought was a little similar to Membrey, and has now made a move to become a midfielder after getting delisted by the Dogs last year... Always had him as pretty much a lead forward type with not a whole heap of tricks to his game...

Sydswans0512

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
That appears to be what I've noticed of him in the NEAFL. Was more thinking in regards to Matty Panos, who I thought was a little similar to Membrey, and has now made a move to become a midfielder after getting delisted by the Dogs last year... Always had him as pretty much a lead forward type with not a whole heap of tricks to his game...
Matty Panos has done it at SANFL level see how he goes with the step up

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Yeah nah, there are plenty of clubs interested.

Doesnt mean anything really, it's all about where he wants to go. He's not contracted so can do a Tippett/Lamb. All we have to do is promise him heaps of game time. Dont think it'll happen, we have Lee & Siposs in that role. Richmond probably the best place for him i reckon.

hollywood23

Club Legend
May 31, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Looked impressive when he played against Essendon. Not convinced with Ambrose and we need more of his type with Chappy and Winderlich getting on/retired.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC

You'd have to fleece him on the track. Maybe in a few years time if put time into his fitness base.

More suited to a third tall role/Flanker role but positional transitions have happened.

See ROK as a comparison

Has spent some time in the midfield at NEAFL leve, but not in big patches admittedly and the jump up to playing midfield at AFL level is massive.

Pros:
  • One of the best set shots in the league.
  • A bit of mongrel in him.
Cons:
  • A bit too small to play key forward, may lack tank to play midfield.
  • Ridiculous tree tattoo.

NEAFL stats

17 games 11.6 kicks 5.6 handballs 6.2 marks 2.6 tackles 1.2 clearances 3.2 I50s 0.4 R50s 48 goals 22 behinds
17 games 10.2 kicks 4.4 handballs 6.5 marks 2.6 tackles 0.2 clearances 2.9 I50s 0.1 R50s 49 goals 24 behinds

Back