Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
10.071 million for next year.

600k - Roughead, Lewis, Mitchell, Hodge
500k - Frawley, Burgoyne, Gibson, Birchall
400k - Rioli, Gunston, Isaac Smith, Breust, Lake
300k - McEvoy, Hale, Hill, Suckling, Shiels, Stratton
150k - Duryea, Spangher, Puopolo, Ceglar, Langford, Litherland, Schoenmakers, Simpkin

4 * 600 = 2.4
4 * 500 = 2
5 * 400 = 2
6 * 300 = 1.8
8 * 150 = 1.2
26 players for a cost of 9.4 million

To fit the remaining 18 players on the list in they'd have to pay them 33k a piece and that likely includes guys like Hallahan, Woodward, Anderson, Cheney and Whitecross!!! Even if Lake goes it still doesn't free up enough cap to pay the draft scale minimums.

I understand some of these guys are probably taking unders. I also know Sewell will likely retire hence he's not listed here. Someone like Suckline might be traded out.

But surely fans from other teams have to wonder just exactly how Hawthorn get this team in under the cap and sign Frawley?

What am I missing?

Veteran's cap for Mitchell Hodge Lewis Burgoyne Gibson Hale and Lake.

Pretty sure Roughy's was also front or backended due to the Buddy saga, depending if Hawthorn was sure he was going to leave or not.

Also I don't think Breust is on that much.

Also teams can used the cap space from last year and carry it over to the next year.

Veteran's cap for Mitchell Hodge Lewis Burgoyne Gibson Hale and Lake.

Pretty sure Roughy's was also front or backended due to the Buddy saga, depending if Hawthorn was sure he was going to leave or not.
Well the veterans cap has to go and it has to go now. Not phased in or out. Bloody ridiculous that if you have good older players you get to stash salary cap space and buy in younger players. If that means older players sign for less or move clubs then so be it.

Where have you pulled those wage numbers from?
Out of thin air. But they aren't even inflated. Name me one player on that list you wouldn't pay at least that for if they were available. Obviously guys like Roughy and Lewis you'd pay heaps more for. Same with Gunston, Hill, Shiels. Even the guys at the bottom would clearly earn more than 150k at most clubs.

Come on hawks fans don't just gloat. Give me the numbers. Tell me how the hell Melbourne, St Kilda etc are paying anywhere near 90% of what you are and exactly how you get so many A graders in to one salary cap.

Where have you pulled those wage numbers from?

peach.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Veterans list is only 180,000 or something now, not as big as it used to be. If they all fit, good luck to them, the TPP is reviewed and ticked off by the AFL. Good get from the Hawks.

Seriously, I'm calling for a review of Hawthorn's Salary Cap right now.

How does a Premiership team fit in another player? They must be cheating the cap somehow

Yep....Were using the Swans as an off-shore clearing house!:D

If I ate a kilo of number spaghetti and forced myself to throw it up onto a giant canvass and then put Hawks players names next to the numbers I'd be closer to the Hawks players prices than the OP.

Seriously, I'm calling for a review of Hawthorn's Salary Cap right now.

How does a Premiership team fit in another player? They must be cheating the cap somehow
Well at least you guys we know you had an extra 1 mil per season and also sent out Mumford, Everett, Lamb and White. The maths did make sense.

Even with Sewell, Lowden and even if Lake goes then that does cover for Frawley in. But Brest, Gunston, Hill, Shiels, Langford, Ceglar and others have stepped up over the last 12-24 months. Some of those guys would demand significant pay rises from cheap draft contracts to being paid as consistent AFL players. Jordan Lewis singed on this year and went from a consistent quality player to a whole new level.

Come on hawks fans don't just gloat. Give me the numbers. Tell me how the hell Melbourne, St Kilda etc are paying anywhere near 90% of what you are and exactly how you get so many A graders in to one salary cap.

How the hell would we know what they are being paid?

Well the veterans cap has to go and it has to go now. Not phased in or out. Bloody ridiculous that if you have good older players you get to stash salary cap space and buy in younger players. If that means older players sign for less or move clubs then so be it.
And why should clubs be forced to discard players who are of a certain age and have given the club a certain amount of years service? Just because Melbourne haven't had any players to stay long enough or have been delisted for being a spud before being able to qualify for the veterans list doesn't mean it should go.

We obviously don't have the numbers.
But neither do you.
You wouldn't be able to say what each player on the Melbourne team is being paid.
So maybe you should think twice about making accusations based on 'what you think players are worth'.
It's literally the same as if I complained about Melbourne going over the cap. It's nonsense unless I have proof.
Even if they were shown to be going over, your comments don't prove to be any kind of 'justice'.
They're just ramblings...based on nothing.

How the hell would we know what they are being paid?
You hear numbers when players are recruited or sign new deals. You know if players are getting other forms of income. I'm not asking for a detailed run down of salaries but gee you must realise it's quite a feat to fit all your players in and sign Frawley.

I would feel a lot more comfortable if the players on at least 300k salaries were published. For that amount of money per year they can live with their salaries being made public.

Back